Newbie wants to get acquainted

Options
judeebabee
judeebabee Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone,
My surgery was 4/7/15. Everything went "textbook" and I was sent home the next day. My post-op apt was 4/28 and I am down 20 lbs. I've healed up beautifully and have begun my water aerobics class. The goal is to go 3 times a week.

I "hit the wall" about 2 weeks after surgery as I faced losing my best friend - food. At that time and actually I am still experiencing some discomfort after every time I eat. Not heartburn, not overfull. it feels like I would imagine a very minor ulcer might feel like. I've been told that though I am healed on the outside the wound to the stomach is still healing and to be patient. And patience is not my long suit.

Truly I have been grieving that there is no satisfaction in my eating anymore. I am looking for a good therapist to help me through this factor. It's obvious that I need to find a new relationship to food and find joy in other areas of my life.

I am very excited to find this community and wish you all great success. I believe we are all invested in each other.

Thanks,

Judith

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi Judith! We had surgery the same day :) Welcome, my surgery was a little more eventful four days in the hospital with an accompanying hernia repair - but since I have been home things have been great! I hit a stall about a week ago, weight is just not dropping now (but I am trusting the process). We all need support, you will find everyone on here is fantastic!
    Joy
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Are you still on puree diet? I would think that once you advance to solid foods you will feel more satisfied after eating. Do you take Prilosec or any other PPI? If not, it may help your situation. I would definitely talk to my doctor about the symptoms if they persist. Best to you!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The weeks just after surgery can be pretty blah in the food-area. As you get farther out, it will get better. It will just be a new food-reality, and that can be hard to accept. But, the improvement in your health will make it worth the changes to your food habits.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome! These guys are so right, just after surgery is pretty blah but by about 4-6 months out you can pretty much enjoy your food again. I am even finding that I like spicy food now which I never liked before. Hang in there. Its so worth it and every day gets better.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it does get better. Good for you for seeking out a therapist because there needs to be a change with how we think and cope. Best wishes.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Judith, I too had an overly intimate relationship with food. One of my hesitations with doing WLS was what I perceived to be an intolerable change in that relationship. What I have learned in my first 6 months post-op is that I can still have a relationship (and a decadent one) if I look at things right. I LOVE sushi. So now we got for sashimi and split one roll. I love steak. I don't have it often, but when I do, it's the best one on the menu and I make sure I am in a position to be able to take the 3/4 of it I leave home with me, so that I can continue to enjoy it. I've discovered some great Skinny Cow frozen treats. My go-to breakfast is egg beaters with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge mixed in. My old friend Italian (AKA Pasta)? I get a side of meatballs and a side of sausage, with sauce and covered with Mozzarella, baked. That's about 3 meals for me

Start small. My first "real" food after the mush phase was sashimi, and it was the best meal I had had in a month.

Welcome to the other side.
    -Phill
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with Phil. When you eat less, you go for the good stuff.
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Judith! Congrats on your journey and success thus far! I can definitely relate to your struggle with mourning the loss of your best friend: food. I was overly-addicted to food prior to surgery. My thoughts most days consumed around what I was having for each meal of the day. Prior to surgery I had to start facing the fact that my relationship with food would change. I thought I would be prepared, but I wasn't as prepared as I thought. Five weeks after surgery we went to a restaurant for the first time. I cried! Didn't know what to eat and just sat there watching everyone else. It was during this time that my love of cooking began. Because I couldn't technically "enjoy" a meal with my family much anymore, I took pride in the foods that I cooked for them. I started playing around with recipes, new ingredients, etc... and I became passionate about cooking. Although I was still "dealing" with food, I was dealing with it in a different way. It was distracting me from not being able to eat it, and allowed me to focus on my cooking skills, and I received joy hearing from my family's feedback on the dishes I would make. That made the difference for me. So whether it's cooking or something else, perhaps finding a good hobby to take the place of food could help. Trust me, I know how it feels to feel no satisfaction in food anymore. It's a terrible feeling, especially when it's been comfort all your life. Just have to find something (positive) to fill that void. Best wishes to you! :smile: