Another Box Jump Thread

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
Question for the group:
When doing box jumps, do you count step ups as a “box jump?” We had a WOD with sets of 30 box jumps. Everyone else went to step ups straight away. I only got through two sets before timing out, but I jumped up each time.

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    In a WOD I do step ups. In skill building, I work on the jumps. With that said, I have to scale most of the WOD. I am still 80 pounds overweight, and any jumps are a hard of my knees. With that said, I don't mark it RX if I do step up in place of jumps.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My box allows steps ups. I don't do them unless I have an injury.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think like everything else. The beauty of Crossfit is that its scalable for everyone. So stepups are alllowed the way single unders are allowed at my Box. I only do jump ups, but have been tempted to step up.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Steps are considered a scaling option at my box. We are allowed to jump up/step down (vs rebounding) and still be considered rx.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Okay, I was just surprised because even the most elite guys were stepping. I should note the workout was massive:
    3 RFT (15 minute time limit)
    20 wallballs
    20 sumo deadlift high pull (75/55)
    30 box jumps
    30 push press (75/55)
    15 calorie row
    one minute rest between rounds

I don’t think anybody finished.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Depends on the volume of jumps for me. If it's a lot (like the WOD you just posted) I'll do step ups. If it's short burner I'll jump but I usually scale down to 20 inches
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Yet another area where losing weight will help me immensely
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In our gym, step-ups are Rx because they are Rx in the open. Although, our coaches do encourage us to jump if we can because it is a completely different movement than step-ups and contributes to the building of explosive power. I step up if I'm doing burpee box jumps or are injured, but otherwise try to jump. Only because step ups I can do forEVER but jumps? Not so much. My husband is completely passionate about this too--he is adamant against step ups as Rx. But he's also mister jumpsalot who used to play college basketball, so...lol
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    good question. I've judged a few comps but looking back now they have never included box jumps. I'm pretty sure box jumps / step ups are considered RX but I'm not sure. I do box jumps until I get to the point where I'm fatigued and feel I'm gonna smash my shins - then it's step ups all the way.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    As I get older I feel like I'm less inclined to do jumps. At the most I'll jump up and step down. I'm super paranoid about damaging my Achilles tendon.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    As I get older I feel like I'm less inclined to do jumps. At the most I'll jump up and step down. I'm super paranoid about damaging my Achilles tendon.

Yes, I jump up and then step down. I don't think that is a problem for RX (other than it is slower). But at least for me, the step up and then down would be faster than jumping up and stepping down. I really have to concentrate and generate some force to get my 217 lb body up on a 24 inch box.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    At my box most of the time the coaches are very specific about Box Jumps, they usually want us to jump if we can or scale to step-up if we can't. One thing they have us do most of the time now is step-down, I am fine with that because I went through 3 months of really sore Achilles last summer. When they don't tell us to step-down I practice rebound jumping just to stay coordinated at that skill.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    alysa521 wrote: »
    Steps are considered a scaling option at my box.
    Same here.

I am pretty slow on my box jumps but I always try to do them RX no matter what. I smoked my shin a few weeks ago and the resulting bone bruise still hurts like hell but I am determined to not let that hold me back from jumping.

• kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Our box allows and sometimes encourages step-ups. This article was going around a while back and it scared me enough to decide to always do step-ups in an AMRAP, and I don't try bounding box jumps because not getting injured is priority #1. I still like to do box jumps because they're awesome for building power, but I'm not shy about doing step-ups if I'm worried I'm going to eat it or the WOD is mostly box jumps.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »
    Our box allows and sometimes encourages step-ups. This article was going around a while back and it scared me enough to decide to always do step-ups in an AMRAP, and I don't try bounding box jumps because not getting injured is priority #1. I still like to do box jumps because they're awesome for building power, but I'm not shy about doing step-ups if I'm worried I'm going to eat it or the WOD is mostly box jumps.

This.

Depends on volume of box jumps and on how my legs are feeling. I often find step ups more tiring on the glutes but definitely a safer option.

Sorry but a bruised shin bone or a destroyed achilles is NOT my aim when exercising. Seriously, why would you put yourself at risk of damage and infection just for the sake of ego. Judge every situation for yourself and keep yourself safe.
  • bknopf001
    bknopf001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I jump up. But I set the box at 20 inches instead of 24 for men Rx. At 5 foot 8 and 27% Body Fat it is just too difficult to do the 24 inch for reps. Maybe after I slim down to 15% body fat or grow another 4 inches. Which ever comes first.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Stepping the box as opposed to jumping it means you must do twice as many. (Just as in you're doing SU instead of DU) would do twice or three times as many. Now if you get fatigued and need to step a few that's still counted as a jump. Well, at least that's how it's done at my gym
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

I currently have two destroyed shins from box jump misses. Very un-fun. The bad part was it wasn't because there were a large number of them programmed, it was just that I was so clumsy that day it was like my equilibrium was off or something.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^I think part of the benefit of box jumps is the mental focus that they require. The second you lose it, you kill yourself. I've been lucky that when I busted it I didn't go shin first in to the edge, just took a tumble.

Once I get a bit more competitive I'm seriously considering soccer shinpads when doing high rep box jumps.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    They might not be very comfortable @bostonwolf - the rock guards are probably your best trade off for comfort v. protection