Budget Friendly Protein Bars and Protein Shakes

Options
relentless2121
relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking at trying to trim my expenses on protein bars and protein shakes. One option is to not have one of each per day. Another option is to explore some recommended brands. I am 5 months post op & still find it necessary (and perhaps always will) to have one of of each per day, though I'd consider alternating them.

My favorite bars by far are the Quest Bars. I love that they have so much fiber. I've also tried a few others including Cliff Builders, Atkins Advantage and a few others.

My favorite shakes by far are the Premier Protein Shakes from Costco. Again, I would have a hard time giving them up but might look at having one every other day.

I live in Canada, so not all brands are available here that are available in the USA. Also, due to high shipping costs, I'd prefer not to order online. I live in a city of 700,000 so there are quite a lot of stores including a GNC and Popeye's Supplement Store.

I would appreciate any suggestions that any of you might have.
Thanks my friends. :)

Replies

• gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown from Food Network showed a really easy recipe for homemade protein bars. I don't like the commercial brands. Actually pretty good, 160 calories, except they are a little low on protein, but next batch I'm going to increase the protein added. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe.html
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can save a lot of money by mixing your own shakes. I would go to GNC and see what they have on sale in terms of protein powder. There is pretty much always something on sale, just make sure the calories are relatively low -- some of the stuff at GNC will be geared more towards building muscle than weight loss, so be super-careful reading those labels! Often they will whip up a sample for you right there if you are concerned you won't be able to choke it down and don't want to commit to a big tub of powder before trying it out.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you are up for it, you can make your own Quest bars. This link has recipe and link to Canada amazon which sells the vita fiber. http://www.busybuthealthy.com/homemade-quest-protein-bars/ Pure protein has a good bang of protein for a good price (I like the peanut butter). They sell them at Costco as well. As far as a mix, find a powder you like. GNC and Costco have a lot but even Walmart or Target will have some for cheap. You can also make your own using liquid egg whites (it is pasteurized) and greek yogurt. I don't eat bars often but I start my day with a powdered protein mixed with my coffee and 1/2 cup milk.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will pick up some Pure Protein bars and try alternating them with Quest Bars. As far as shakes go I do have a tub of Muscle Mlk that I haven't tried yet. It's high in calories, so I might just mix half a scoop with some Almond Milk. Again, I could alternate that with Premier Protein Shakes as I absolutely love them. I appreciate your input. :)
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My fave budget protein is BODY FORTRESS (lol silliest name so now I caps it and say it in my best juice-head voice lol). In all seriousness, it's under 200 cal for 30 g protein. Pb chocolate is good as it vanilla (mixed with water and froz berries- like a smoothie!) I get mine at Walgreens/cvs and I know Walmart also carries it.