Stronglifts with dumbells?

Options
tcxyz2011
tcxyz2011 Posts: 29 Member
I want to start stronglifts however I am scared of the barbell, :blush: I tried doing a squat with just a deloaded barbell and I nearly fell over, lol. Can I start with dumbells or would it be better to try to do the exercises with the barbell?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's better to do the exercises with a barbell. Dumbbells are awkward for the lifts you do on SL.

If the empty 45# barbell is too much, see if your gym has preloaded ez bars. They are smaller than a barbell, but they are the same general principal. You can start with the 20# one to get used to lifting a barbell shaped weight, then progress your way up to the empty barbell.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Did you almost fall over because it was too heavy or because it felt awkward?

If it was too heavy, then I agree with @xcaly - see if your gym has lighter barbells. If they don't, or if those are too heavy, you can definitely use dumbbells. For squats, do goblets squats. They won't feel the same because they're essentially a front squat, but it will help you get used to the range of motion and build up some strength. Same with the other lifts. Try to use the barbell, but if you can't, dumbbells are OK until you can move up to 45 lbs.

If it was just awkward, ask someone who works at your gym to help you. Or another lifter. And watch lots of videos on form.

Good luck!
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What they said. If you're going to to SL, get used to barbells. Study form and use an empty bar till you're confident. There are better programs for dumbells/machines etc.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    what @crabada asked is a good point. i'm remembering how barbell squatting felt really freakish and counter-intuitive to me, because i was squatting 'without' hands. every instinct you have tells you you need your hands free to stay safe if you're moving, especially in the kind of pattern a squat has. so having my hands tied up with a heavy bar felt scary because my brain was going 'you fall over, you're going to go down.'**

i'm glad i persevered though. the thing is, you're supposed to squat in a straight up-and-down path right over your centre of gravity, and i feel like not having any hands to cheat with actually taught me how to do it.

** this is what your brain thinks at first, but it isn't actually true. you might find some reassurance by checking out youtube for clips on 'how to fail squats'. most people don't even fall over. they just kind of jump themselves forward and let the bar do the falling, behind them.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes! What @Canadian said!

Definitely practice failing once you get to the point where you're using the barbell. It feels weird and like people are going to look at you, but they really won't. No one batted an eye when I dumped the bar about 10 times in a row. :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Try practicing the movements with a pvc pipe or shower rod.
  • tcxyz2011
    tcxyz2011 Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the help. It feels both ackward and heavy. I definitely would ask a person at the gym but the weightroom is desolate, lol. And the employees at the gym recommended that I start on machines before picking up weights. Also, when I go back tomorrow I'm going to start with a lighter barbell and go from there to get my form down and feel comfortable. You guys are awesome!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why people always recommend to use machines first. They don't teach you the proper free weight movement. Perhaps the gym staff is trying to justify their investment in equipment.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i use some of the stations sometimes just to activate a specific set of muscles if i suspect they're not really with going to get with the programme unless i give them a wakeup call, so there's that. and for the smith, i've sometimes thought about it occasionally as a way of finding out how a straight-up-and-down bar path feels in the squat, and then carrying that over to the real rack. yeah, i know, 'smith doesn't use the stabilizer muscles' and all, but it wouldn't be really for that. it's almost more just for finding out how the visual cues look on the way up and down.

because one thing you know about squatting in the smith machine is, the bar's going to move in a slot.