Hungry....

Options
chip305
chip305 Posts: 63 Member
OMG I have been soooo hungry this week, it has been constant. My Dr. says no snacks but I have been snacking on healthy choices, cheese or nuts or a protein bar but in the back of my mind I feel guilty. I know I have to get a grip on things or this could lead me down a bad road. I can and will put a stop to this, I have to! But, boy is it hard, not that I thought any of this was going to be easy. BTW, I was sleeved 12/2/14 and I'm down 87#, 21# to goal. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Are you on a PPI? Very often excess acid will mimic hunger. Lots of folks have to switch PPIs and dosages to find one that works.
  • chip305
    Options
    Thank you! I did just go off of my PPI this week to see if I could go without, I will start back up tomorrow and see if that resolves the issue.
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had the same snacking issue I posted on my wall!! At least your snacking on good choice.... Me not so much!!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I snack, and I've lost over 100 lbs (30-35 to goal). There is no way I could get enough calories to survive on three meals a day. I eat more like 6 and plan for the calories accordingly.

I also found I was ravenous when I went off my PPI (and nauseated frequently, too).
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I build a snack into my plan. I want to know that I'm not going over calories if I find the need to eat again. And if I don't want it I don't eat again unless I'm way low on protein. Then I will have a shake, some turkey, or maybe a protein bar to make sure I get the protein. I would think that as long as your snacking is contributing to your protein count and not taking you over on calories, you should be good.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My take on the snacking issue is that they may not want folks grazing throughout the day as a regular thing. Adding a set "snack" meal works well for me as well, but I have also had afternoons where it is really more grazing throughout the afternoon, rather than having a snack. It is usually when my snack isn't protein dense and it starts the snack-train searching for satiety. I want to stay off of that train!

Rob
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What's PPI? There's no way I could go a whole day with out a snack- so I try to build a good choice into my plan. I also found that when I do a lot of cardio, like 45 min three times a week- it triggers hunger.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I also found that when I do a lot of cardio, like 45 min three times a week- it triggers hunger.

This. The more cardio I do, the more hunger I feel, but also when I do strength training as well. I figure my body is telling me what it needs, as opposed to the old days when I would feed my body whenever my brain felt like it.

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I also found that when I do a lot of cardio, like 45 min three times a week- it triggers hunger.

This. The more cardio I do, the more hunger I feel, but also when I do strength training as well. I figure my body is telling me what it needs, as opposed to the old days when I would feed my body whenever my brain felt like it.

This is certainly true for me. I don't eat back all my exercise calories, but I fuel my body for working out. Weight loss was only one part of my goal in having surgery. I want a strong, fit, healthy body that will carry me through the next 50 years of my life!
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My bariatric nurse wants me to eat every 3 hours. I am to have 3 meals and 2 snacks, 3 if necessary. I think I would binge if I didn't incorporate snacks.
  • freedomfighter1
    freedomfighter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks
    It's been working great for me so far. I've lost 135 lbs and still going. I am 19 months out and also feel more hungry. I snack mostly on protein rich foods.. protein bar or cheese or a meat source normally
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @homerismyhero, PPI stands for Proton Pump Inhibitor. Stands for meds like Prilosec and Nexium, a well as others.
  • chip305
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, starting back on my PPI made all the difference. I do incorporate a protein bar late afternoon if I am working out in the late afternoon or early evening. My Dr. is definitely against eating snacks he only wants me to have 3 meals a day but that does make it very hard to get my protein in since he also doesn't want me to use any suppliments, shakes or bars. Oh well, I will find what works for me.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The acid can make you feel hungry. Same happened to me but I am not on a PPI, instead an acid reducer (Zantac) and that works. Talk with your doctor again. Some don't want you "snacking" or grazing but a scheduled healthy snack may be acceptable. I think we are all different, some can do 3 meals and others need 6. I am definitely one that needs 5-6 meals
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not attempting to medicate with food. If you are inappropriately hungry based on your intake and exercise -you are stressed and attempting to revert to the obesity habit of medicating with food. Fix the stress and the hunger disappears. Fixing the stress means being sad, mad, angry, bored, frustrated-just being- and then moving on. NOT running to food pleasure distraction.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My doc and nutritionist have their folks eating 3 meals and 3 snacks, something every 3 to 4 hours. Has worked for me so far, finding I have to make myself eat