Why still use MFP?

Options
Terpnista84
Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
I ordered a Fitbit and should be getting it soon (yay!).

But one thing I have noticed for some time is the amount of Fitbit users who still use MFP to log and synch it with their Fitbit. Is MFP more accurate? It would seem easier to use the Fit bit app to enter your food and determine your calorie goals.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Many of us have a lot of food data, recipes, meals. in MFP, so it is just easier to synch up and use the Fitbit data to adjust our eating. Since I have more than a year's data starting all over again didn't sound inviting to me. I also have many MFPals I check in with regularly. I also didn't like the logging UI on Fitbit.com. I like Fitbit.com's exercise info much better than MFP's, so I stuck with both apps.

If you are just starting out with both sites, you might find it easier to just use one app.
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love it. I should log my foods on ive had MFP longer and have a lot of food data. Im on Nutrisytem also and with MFP, I can edit my meal categories on here to match their plan.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I ordered a Fitbit and should be getting it soon (yay!).

But one thing I have noticed for some time is the amount of Fitbit users who still use MFP to log and synch it with their Fitbit. Is MFP more accurate? It would seem easier to use the Fit bit app to enter your food and determine your calorie goals.

Fitbit's food database is well disappointing. I believe they just added a barcode scanner (something MFP has had since before I joined in early 2013) to the app late last year. I've tried it a few times and most of the time the item I scan isn't in the database. They then ask that you submit 3 pictures of the product so that they can add it to the database. This will probably help expand their database. As far as I'm aware they are also lacking the recipe builder feature that MFP has (which is a life saver when your cooking for more than one person or making a large batch of something).

So basic break down-
    Cons:
    • No recipe builder
    • Database isn't very big/hard to find some foods
    • Can't edit the names of the sections in my food diary. I like to track by time frames.
    Pros:
    • So far all the entries I've seen on their site have the option for the serving size to be in grams.
    • Only need 1 app
    • barcode scanner (finally)

• kireleason
    kireleason Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I talked about this with my husband and he said: use myfitnesspal it has a better database than fitbit does. I suppose that may change over time, but...hey they talk to each other so it works!