What to wear home from the hospital? Undies recommendations?

Options
NikkiSixGuns
NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
Hi Ladies! This weekend I started packing my hospital bag. Some stuff was easy (supplies and coming home outfit for the little guy, magazines and snacks for the hubby, chapstick, nursing pads/bras, nipple butter, lotion, extra long pads, etc.) but I'm totally stumped on what to pack for myself to wear home! I've seen lots of recommendations, but nothing seems quite right. If I wear a dress, I'll have to take it off to nurse. If I wear a blouse, it needs to cover up the enormous nursing bra but also be comfy and provide easy nursing access. Then if I wear a blouse I need either shorts or a skirt to go with it, and I'm afraid anything like that will be unwearable (because of the waist band) if I end up having a c-section. I've also heard that pants can be really uncomfortable if you've had an epesiotomy. And what about chonies?? Everyone tells me to take some comfy cotton granny-panties, but I'm also concerned about the elastic and a c-section. I suppose I could take multiple outfits so I have options, but I really hate packing more than I need and I don't want to overthink this.

So... Any recommendations for what I could wear home, including chonies? Thanks!!

Replies

• fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wore black stretchy maternity pants to get to the hospital... and come back. With a tank top and hoodie. I had a sport bra that has some removable straps, so I could nurse if I wanted to. I did not breastfeed and only gave the baby colostrum though, so I wasn't constantly undressing... The pants were not uncomfortable, I didn't get a c-sec, I had 2-3 stitches but it didn't bother me at all. While I was in the hospital, I was in my sport bra and undies most of the time, lol. And sometimes I'd just throw over a nightgown I got from Walmart. But the room was a private one so I didn't care if the nurses/doctors saw me half naked ;)

As for the undies, I bought mine from American Eagle, the cotton boy briefs. They are all I wear to sleep when I'm not pregnant, I just got a size larger during pregnancy and used those. They are the most comfortable panties I own, but I'm not sure if they would be too low in case you have a c-section.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The undies they provide at the hospital are ugly as all get out, but comfortable and you don't care if you ruin them by getting blood all over them.

Other than that, wear your maternity clothes: yoga pants, tank tops, breast feeding bras. Anything you will be comfortable in. Don't do jeans...unless you were able to fit in them on your way to the hospital. Just a suggestion though.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I took all my old underwear that really should have been thrown out and wore them until the bleeding lessened. I didn't care if they got soiled because they really belonged in the trash anyway.

I had an episiotomy and stiches and I was totally okay with wearing yoga pants right away. I wore yoga pants and a loose maternity top home from the hospital, but I also packed a super stretchy dress (so stretchy I have actually just pulled it down to nurse and it's not a v-neck) just in case I ended up with a C-section.

Remember that if you do have a C-section you'll probably be in the hospital a little longer and you can send someone to your home to pick up what you may need. And I agree, no jeans. Pack what's comfy. We don't all look like Kate Middleton when we leave the hospital after having a baby (I wish though). ;)

A V-neck top/dress is great for nursing or if you're worried about coverage you could do the undershirt method where you pull up the top shirt and pull down the undershirt/nursing bra.

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had a c-section with my first, and I bought the most giant granny panties (cheap from walmart) I could find, and still ended up cutting the waistband of them because I couldn't stand any pressure at all on the incision. Just make sure the waistband is high enough that it's well above where the cut would be, and make sure they're really loose.

I also stuck those giant pads they give you on the inside of the undies across the cut so that nothing could get close to it. Definitely felt like I was wearing a diaper for the first few weeks between that and wearing one normally for the bleeding, but it was totally worth it lol.

Also, I wore giant PJ pants home, but otherwise didn't wear pants for a good couple weeks. I just wore a nursing tank and my robe :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I just wore normal underwear, just bigger than usual. I didn't have a c-sec with any of my kids.

After my first I wore pjs while in hospital, then leggings and a top home. After my 2nd I went home 5 hours after she was born (she's 4 tomorrow actually :) ) and I just put my maternity dress on, which also doubled as a nursing dress, and after my third I wore a maxi dress which was fine for nursing as I could just move the top bit down. We're only half hour from the hospital though, so as soon as I got home I was in my pjs :)
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I wore the disposable underwear they provided in the hospital and took some
    Home for later. I wore the same yoga pants home that I wore in and just a long sleeve t-shirt (it was cold in February). In the hospital I wore the hospital gown without a bra so nursing was super easy. For going home I wore a nursing bra. They do make nursing sports bras, I bought some after I started exercising again and they are super helpful. After getting home I don't think I was in anything but yoga pants and sweats for a few weeks, I had stitches but it wasn't worth putting jeans on as the weather was really cold and snowy so I hardly left the house at first.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I just wore comfy yoga pants and a big t-shirt home when my kids were born. With my first I had an episiotomy, but soft, stretchy pants aren't a big deal (I wouldn't have wanted to wear jeans tho!). A t-shirt and nursing bra work well for feedings; but keep in mind, unless you have a really long trip home or plan to make stops along the way, odds are you'll feed baby before you leave the hospital and won't need to again until after you are home, so you can always change once you get there if you need to. I did buy some cheap cotton bikini underwear for use postpartum (in a size larger than I normally wear) and they were fine.... with a c-section you might want to buy a pair or two of briefs or other higher-waisted granny-panties to prevent the waistband from rubbing against your scar.

And there is nothing wrong with wearing pajama pants home, if that's what you're most comfy in! Unless you are planning a photo shoot, who cares? lol.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think I just wore leggings/yoga pants and vest top plus cardi/zip up top. I did have a c section and was fine wearing them. I cant actually remember exactly what I wore. I wouldnt worry too much. x