05/11/15-today I celebrate

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Good morning everyone!!

Today is a new day and I am starting with a new resolve to make it through with no carb products. I found that my diet although high in protein is also very high in carbs. I am going to try to keep the carbs to fruits and veggies.

Today I celebrate that the size 26 capris that are NOT stretchy fit me perfectly this morning. Never ever thought I'd be excited about a size 26, but when everything I had before was only stretchy material, a size is something to celebrate.

I'd like to also send HUGE HUGS to all my friends who are having problems this morning. I know exactly what you are going through and get through it myself by taking one meal at a time.

Replies

• wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs too but am trying to lower them some. Not as easy as I would like. Awesome job on the capris too-especially in non-stretchy pants!

Today am I celebrating pushing myself to my limits...and then going a little bit farther. I planned to run 5 miles like I have every saturday for the last month or so. I got to 5 miles and didn't feel too bad so I decided to keep going. Got to 6 miles and was feeling it but not the "I'm going to die" way and I was still half mile from home so rather than give in and walk the rest of the way back I ran some more. Total of 6.5 miles :o . The funny part about this is when I was cleaning out my email I came across an email from hubby back at the end of march where I was complaining about the fact that the 5k training program I was thinking about starting wanted me to run 2 miles and I said I couldn't even run half mile on a good day!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Wendy, 6.5 miles running is AWESOME. Congrats!!!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Uh. Well I logged today even if I didn't eat properly just grazed.on stuff.

Also did another three boxes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs gets easier the further you go. I'm currently averaging 25 or so TOTAL carbs a day... :) Will write my "thankfuls" after lunch!
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Today I can also celebrate Ive set myself a goal for tomorrow after hitting todays by logging. And im talking to my gym buddy about a plan to get going again, shes wavering a bit too so we are going to work together. I am ery blessed to have her
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Today, I'm thankful my fiance is currently attending orientation for a new post. I am sincerely trying not to get too excited, as no employer wants to work with his disabilities, but he isn't technically "disabled" enough to earn disability payments. It's frustrating, but we're hopeful this time!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Cari, congratulations on the capris! How fun that a cute piece of summer clothing can make its way into your wardrobe!

Wendy, TEACH ME YOUR WAYS! 6.5 miles seems impossible to me right now, so I am ridiculously impressed. Way to go pushing through that last half mile!

Lise, my heart is so full thinking of the hard work you're putting in when I know it must be so tempting to just let it all go. You're getting back to where you want to be, on top of ALL the other stuff going on, including preparing for a move. You've got this. Just keep taking it bit by bit.

Carly, I'm excited for you and your fiance. I hope all goes well with the orientation. And wow on the 25 carbs/day! Do you eat fruit, or just veggies?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @NorahCait 25 grams of carbs a day mostly come from dairy, eggs, and meat, plus those from the occasional higher fiber veggies. I like asparagus, broccoli, green beans, and most greens - and rarely cauliflower. Any of those I do prepare, I steam or roast and toss or saute with butter, almonds, bacon, and/or cheese. I also do cabbage, mushrooms, stir fry veggies, bell peppers, etc., in moderation.

Since when you lower carbs, you MUST up fats, as carb and fats are the only two fuel sources your body can use, so this works out well with the above.

If I choose to have fruits, berries and stone fruits (like peaches, etc.), I do it in small quantities and I pair them with fats (heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, sharp cheddar, etc.). I don't do this often, as berries are a slippery cravings slope for me! If I miss fruit flavors, I use extracts or jello.

Pretty much I don't avoid anything, really, except sugar, and even then, I just watch portion sizes and make sure it fits my daily allotment. For me, going below 100 grams of carbs a day was torture (this is usually the threshold for low carb per medical terminology). Once I got closer to 50 grams of carbs a day, all of my cravings stopped - and what little was left was manageable.

I do have the odd bite of rice or potatoes, etc., but for the most part, I really don't miss them - and one bite is enough...because it is either the flavoring combination I miss, or it doesn't taste as good as I remember. In particular, chips (especially corn/tortilla chips) taste like sawdust and paste. I don't miss THOSE at ALL!

All in all, I've lost 20 pounds since I dropped my carbs, around 20 inches off of arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs, etc., combined, and I'm a few inches from sliding down my second full pants size since 1/15/15. I have amazing energy, particularly in the morning, where I used to be a zombie before 10-11 am, I am sleeping better, cravings are managed, I'm losing fat - not just water weight, that mental fog has cleared, I don't have post meal slumps, and per my bloodwork recently, all of my numbers - from cholesterol to blood sugar to thyroid panel and everything - have improved. I find myself trying and liking foods I wouldn't eat before. My heartburn is almost completely gone (because your body processes carbs first, and if it uses up all the bile and acid to digest the monstrous amount of carbs I used to eat, there was not enough bile/acid left to properly digest the fats I was eating, leading to heartburn) - rare occasion is usually related to something else. My potty problems are 95% resolved, and I'm loving the fact that I can eat bacon, butter, and cheese every day and still lose fat and improve my health!

Happy to answer any other questions if you have them. :)
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Thankyou norah. You have all been so supportive it's amazing. Makes it easier.to get back on track