Protein bars

Options

Replies

• boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I just tried the new Quest flavor Mint Chocolate Chunk. Totally my new favorite now!!

I can't wait to try this!!! I love mint and was so excited. Did you order from quest? My local stores don't have them yet.
  • loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread, but has anyone tried "Paleo" bars?
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have! Tho paleo is such a broad category. I tried kind bars (paleo to some, not so much for others) one that was a fig based bar (can't remember the name and they were very high in fructose sugars) and then a jerky type bar called EPIC... Weird at first but then I kinda dug it once I told myself it wasn't supposed to taste like granola lol. Honest answer-- I liked the jerky ones but they were expensive!
  • loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am looking specifically at this brand: http://www.julianbakery.com/paleo-protein-bars/
    But, I dont want to buy them unless I know they taste good. Maybe I can find a sample somewhere. Thanks.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    Options
    Oooo those look good! I betcha they would send you a sample of you emailed them? Or maybe a place like whole foods has them individually? My local one carries their bread I believe
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Those do look good, but also pricey. $40/12 versus $27/12 quest on Amazon. They are also made with different sources of protein, not whey isoloate. I did find that there is a 6-pack of all their flavors on Amazon for $19.99 (prime shipping).

-Phill

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    I just tried the new Quest flavor Mint Chocolate Chunk. Totally my new favorite now!!

I can't wait to try this!!! I love mint and was so excited. Did you order from quest? My local stores don't have them yet.

I did order directly from Quest, I haven't seen them in the store either. I don't live far from where Quest actually is so I usually get my orders in a day!
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We've had good luck with Vitaminn Shoppe for Quest bars, and they are cheap off of Amazon.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Oooo! Must try this one. Wasn't real impresses with the Smores flavor, tasted more chocolate than anything else.

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    kglowins wrote: »
    I have only tried one of the Quest bars...I think it was the apple cinnamon. I didn't really care for it because of the texture (I have issues with food textures, lol). I have posted about this before...but I really love the Quest protein chips! I think they are amazing! I know some people have posted that it scares them to eat them because chips were a trigger in the past for them...I never really had an issue with chips before so they are a great option for me. They have 21g of protein, 120 calories, and 5g carbs for one bag.

I Love the chips...not so much because theyre so wonderful (IMO theyre not) but theyre great for that "crunch" factor and great for protein...and theyre portable :smile:
    I would not worry about getting addicted to these, Im just "addicted" to the protein value!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i just bought a bag of the quest chips from GNC because i saw they had 21g protein, and opened them..Not the best of tastes, but yes to the highprotein factor and the crunch you get from them..will i eat them like i would have a bag of chips before i started this journey, no way, theyre not that good..lol..but they have less calories, fat, carbs/sugars than a protein bar and a lil more protein than some bars have, so if im needing more protein in the day or feeling i need a snack, i may have some

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    duffslove wrote: »
    i just bought a bag of the quest chips from GNC because i saw they had 21g protein, and opened them..Not the best of tastes, but yes to the highprotein factor and the crunch you get from them..will i eat them like i would have a bag of chips before i started this journey, no way, theyre not that good..lol..but they have less calories, fat, carbs/sugars than a protein bar and a lil more protein than some bars have, so if im needing more protein in the day or feeling i need a snack, i may have some

I haven't tried the Quest chips yet. I wasn't gonna pay what HyVee wanted for one bag of them. I contacted Quest to see if I could get a free sample but they are giving out samples of their chips yet like the do their protein mix and protein bars. For those of you new to Quest bars or Quest protein shake mix, go to the Quest website and hit the chat button and ask them for free samples of bars and protein shake mix. They will send you two free of each.
    For protein chips, I still buy the Healthwise Protein chips off the Baritiatric Choice website when they are on sale and I am buying other stuff for the free shipping deal. I like the BBQ and Ranch flavs the best of that brand.

I need to try the Quest Choc Mint Chip flav. I love that flav. I will only buy one bar to try the new flavs and then if I like it will get a box of them only when on sale or I have a coupon.

Good luck!
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    im not sure how much the chips are regularly but at GNC right now they have a bogo 1/2 off so it was $2.13 each with saving $.60 for the gold rewards member and the quest bars are on the same sale actually eveything in the store is bogo 1/2 off i think..lol..anyway, might be a cheaper way to get a couple of flavors to try them out without having to place a big order through quest
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Quest.

Some brands have high calories and low protein. A good rule of thumb is no more than 10 calories for each gram of protein -- so less than 200 calories for 20 grams of protein.

Be careful of bars that say sugar free, or very low sugar. If they ise sugar alcohols to replace sugar -- sorbitol, malitol, anything ending in -tol -- they will go through you like crap through a goose. Eat too many sugar alcohols, you'll pray for death.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Quest.

Some brands have high calories and low protein. A good rule of thumb is no more than 10 calories for each gram of protein -- so less than 200 calories for 20 grams of protein.

Be careful of bars that say sugar free, or very low sugar. If they ise sugar alcohols to replace sugar -- sorbitol, malitol, anything ending in -tol -- they will go through you like crap through a goose. Eat too many sugar alcohols, you'll pray for death.

AMEN to both points. 10 cal/gram of protein is my general rule for lots of protein intake. And the sugar alcohols are supposed to be better than sugar in lots of ways, but not digestively. Tread carefully with them until you know how much gets you into gastric distress.

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Quest.

And these are two of the reasons I prefer Quest bars. 20 grams of protein per bar and depending on the flavor I can stay about 170 calories and no sugar or sugar type bathroom problems, but they do have 7 grams of fiber so they help with regularity.

• mycatsnameisbug
    Options
    I finally found quest bars at whole foods. I tried a pb brownie and cinnamon roll. Both decent. Macros are great- lots of fiber and protein. Thanks for the recommendation they're my new go to!

I also tried the epic buffalo bites and I LOVE them! They look a little like dog treats lol but they are delicious! 100 cal/9g protein which make them a decent choice to throw in my purse :)

Thanks guys!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Tried the Quest chips. Not a fan either, BUT Quinoa chips (Simple 7)... THOSE are tasty and protein packed!
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Quest bars come in some really good flavors like Apple Pie, White Chocolate Raspberry etc. They are a little pricey at GNC, but I signed up for a GNC card that gives me a discount on everything plus they routinely put Quest bars on sale buy 2 get one free.
  • freedomfighter1
    freedomfighter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a questbar fan too.