Greetings fellow runners!

Hi everyone,

I have been a bit of a lurker in this group and I haven't contributed much... I guess it's time I introduced myself LOL...

I used to run and do triathlon, but over the last couple of years (since 2012!!) I have been pretty inactive and unhealthy.

I turned 40, had a mid life crisis, gained 10-15 lbs (depending on the day) and was way off track.

This week after several weeks of being on track with my diet and getting back gradually into running, I finally reached my goal weight.

As a reward to myself I went out and got a new spiffy Garmin watch. My old GPS watch gave up the ghost and since I wasn't training I didn't bother to replace it.

So... I'm running a half marathon on May 24 (ottawa race weekend) as my season opener. I won't be fast but I can live with it. I plan to spend the summer training and staying on point with my nutrition. I'm hoping to run a PB in the fall for half marathon distance. Maybe I'll score PBs on other distances too (5k, marathon... who knows!).

Anyway... I'm looking forward to getting to know you all... and to share motivation, stories, successes and lessons learned!!

Anne

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Welcome to the group and back to running!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Life has a way of doing that.

It only took me from 1985 to 2013 to get back to running again. I was fast way back when. Now, not so much. But then I ran shorter distances and shorter races. A marathon just didn't cross my mind because it neither held a mystique nor any interest. Fast forward to now, all race distances are of interest but marathons and half-marathons hold the most interest. And I'm not quite the weight I was during my younger racing days (155-160 pounds), but I'm certainly closer than I used to be.

Welcome back to running. And welcome out of the shadows. Here's to a good race for you!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Welcome! Glad you are ready to chime in. :smile: I like having any community of runners to chat with, especially since I'm still new and prone to making mistakes! :smiley:
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Hi there! I got really off track a while back. My life style was grease and booze which ended in a total of 90lbs weight gain. I have lost the weight and have found my love of running again. It took a while but now if I miss my run I am a beast to be around.

Good luck with your 1/2. I have one this weekend. Not looking for a PR just wanted to run the race in Portland. It will be my last race until the fall.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    @Roxiegirl2008 - Very nice to meet you. Have a great race this weekend. It's always nice to add a t-shirt and medal to the collection.

@WhatMeRunning - Oh man... making mistakes is how we learn. Makes for some funny stories too LOL

@STrooper- It's true... I have gone through some very distinct 'phases' over my life... I feel like I just turned a corner (midlife crisis 40 etc) and am charting new territory. Not sure where it will lead. Maybe to the golf course? LOL

@skippygirlsmom - Thanks! Nice to meet you :)

I ran 8k today on my lunch hour and it was slow and painful lol... I seem to remember it was a lot easier than this 'back in the day.'
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Welcome to the group! Looks like you have some great goals set for yourself.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Welcome! Glad to have you back on the running train! Good luck in your race on the 24th!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Howdy.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Welcome, be smart and train for where you are at, not where you remember you were :P
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    welcome to the group! so much support and advise you will love it. Make sure and post and let us know how you get on on your half
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Welcome. Come on in and stay awhile. Water's warm. :)
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty well back into the swing of things. I ran 18k yesterday and felt pretty good. But then I ate the fridge. I still have a lot of work to do.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    ug, I didn't run yesterday and ate the fridge. So you're better off than me. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I ate all the stuff on top of the fridge yesterday. Luckily some of that was bananas. But some of it was chips.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    I ate all the stuff on top of the fridge yesterday. Luckily some of that was bananas. But some of it was chips.

mmmmm chips... salt & vinegar... mmmmm

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited May 2015
    Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty well back into the swing of things. I ran 18k yesterday and felt pretty good. But then I ate the fridge. I still have a lot of work to do.

I ran 10 miles on Sunday, and was so disciplined with food. Then, I ate it all back yesterday with a pint of ice cream. :D
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    brandiuntz wrote: »

I ran 10 miles on Sunday, and was so disciplined with food. Then, I ate it all back yesterday with a pint of ice cream. :D

Doh!!! Yeah... That's the hard part...