What do you do when your feet just don't want to move any more?

Options
jtarmom
jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
On my 12 mile training run Sunday for my first half, I hit the wall around 10.5 miles. It was hot, I was feeling prickly and fuzzy headed, so I stopped a walked for about a 1/4 mile in the shade, had some gatorade, and finished the run by sheer will. My legs didn't want to move, I felt awful.

Now, with my first HM in two weeks, I'm panicked that I'm going to hit the same wall and have a horrible time finishing! I went from feeling like a rock star to being totally deflated and worried about finishing.

What do you do to get your head back in the game when you start to feel tired during a race? Any tips so I can at least have that in my back pocket in case things go south during my race?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The adrenaline on race day will help more than you realize. I had some health problems this winter/spring, and as I was gearing up for my first half of the season every other run was just AWFUL. As in, I couldn't complete them, I was puking almost every time I ran, and I had to call it quits many times. My half still went great - you'll be so much more geared up on race day than on a normal run. Don't let one bad run make you doubt your training.

ETA: Just make sure you don't go out too fast. That is a guaranteed way to make sure you burn out. I always go out easier than I think I need to, especially the first couple miles as the crowd is trying to thin out. I reevaluate at the 6.55 mark - I'll up my pace a bit or keep it steady depending on how I'm feeling to make sure I don't burn out in a few more miles.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how long you have been running prior to beginning your half marathon training, but if this is your first half and you are relatively new to running then I would say this can be expected and you just need to be mentally and physically prepared for it. I run at a HM pace that is still over 2:35 so it does drain my body of energy and I feel the same wall many others in the same pace groups I run in report in the 9-11 mile range.

Best advice for being prepared physically is to make sure you stay hydrated and replenish your body with some carbs along the way. Really, while there is a physical use for those carbs, it seems that general consensus is that the real benefit is mental. Those sugars derived from those carbs are to feed your brain more than muscle perhaps, but if you don't feed the brain it will make it almost impossible to convince yourself to continue. Then again there are also reports that blood sugar continues to feed muscle, so it could be physical. Frankly, I don't care HOW it works as long as I KNOW it works (and it has helped me whether mental or otherwise). I hear varying advice on timing but the advice that works for me is if you are running longer than 90 minutes (probably the case in your HM) you should take in your first carbs 45 minutes into the run, and then every 30-45 minutes afterwards. In my case, at a 2:40-ish pace, I take something at miles 4, 7 and 10. The amount of carbs varies on your size, but around 30-60 grams of carbs per hour (30 for the smallest folks, 60 for the largest). I like taking in something with added electrolytes as well, so something like Gatorade or GU does the trick for me (I like the GU chomps personally).

Then there is the mental aspect. You have to tough through it. Your brain is commanding your body to slow down because it is running out of glycogen to fuel the muscles and you are switching to primarily fueling muscles with fat (which burn slow). This is normal. You can keep going though. You have to make yourself do it.

Heck, my explanation is probably way too long. I'm sure someone more experienced can give a more concise answer (and maybe even better insights).
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Are you replenishing during your long runs? I like to refuel after 45 minutes if I'm going to be running an hour or more. You're body might be telling you that you need to.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My best guess is that you were just not used to running in the heat. Bad runs happen to everyone, so try not to sweat it. With all of the race day excitement, it's unlikely to happen during a race if you are properly prepared. Make sure you are well rested and well hydrated prior to the start of the race. Do not over dress. If the race starts early and it is likely to warm up during the course of the race, I usually take along a long sleeve t shirt from my Good Will pile and ditch it on the course (some courses have a drop area, but I would not drop something I would not want to lose). Also, pace yourself appropriately. Be careful not to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast. Take advantage of water stops if you need them. You will have a lot more support (aid and crowd) during the race than during your training run, so take advantage of it.

It's not a good feeling when your last long run heading into a race is a doozy. When that happens to me, I try to give myself another "goal" training run prior to the race just to make sure I can hit it and get some confidence back. This usually is not a long distance run, but maybe try to hit a certain pace or run a hilly route that I know will help with my mindset.

Trust in your training. You will do fine!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this weekend. First run with any substantial humidity, and it was 70 degrees when I headed out at 6:30, and I had to drag myself through the last 5 miles of 15. If the weather has been changing where you live, as I'm sure it is since it's springtime, then you'll have a run that just feels impossible, since you're doing something hard in conditions you aren't used to. But you'll adapt in the next 2 weeks, and I'm sure you'll do great at the half!

If you do hit a wall in your half though, walk through water stations and set mini-goals and bargain with yourself. Distract yourself so you don't think the miles are so long. On long runs when I hit a wall, I tell myself that I can walk .05 for every .5 or more that I run/jog/plod through. It helps, because the walk breaks give me time to reset.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me I take Arthur Lydiard's advice. Listen to your body and when its done for the day stop.

Walk to the finish to get your time on feet if desired but pushing past exaustion in training just messes up your recovery cycle and affects the remainder of the training week.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do fuel during my long runs...on that particular one I had fueled at 5 miles, again at 7.5 miles, and then I fueled at 10.5 while I was walking. Part of it might be that I was trying out a different fuel at the 7.5 mile one that apparently didn't work for me. And the heat - it was the first long run in the heat, not a lot of shade on the route. I've been doing my training in sub-freezing temps, and just recently the weather broke (I'm in Buffalo).

Thanks for the encouragement - I hope the adrenaline from race day keeps me going at least! I'm still super nervous. My goal is just to run the whole thing with no specific time in mind.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I blame the heat. It takes 3 weeks for the body to acclimate to running in the heat. What you experience was textbook reaction to one of those early season runs in the heat. To combat that, you need to slow down right from the start when you know it's going to be hot. Maybe 20 to 30 seconds per miles slower than you normal easy run pace.
  • ghhrfy
    ghhrfy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure you take it easy between now and the race to make sure you recover from that run! On race day take what measures you can to prevent "the bonk" from happening in the first place- start at a conservative pace! Even if you're feeling completely awesome, keep the pace easy and comfortable. If you go out too fast, that could catch up with you in the later miles. Also, some of the best advice I've gotten has been to take water/electrolyte fluid at every aid station, even if you're not feeling thirsty. Even if just to swish some gatorade in your mouth and spit it out. The idea is to prevent the bonk from happening long before you feel it coming on. It sounds like you've put the hard work in, and since you've run 12 miles, you're certainly ready for 13.1! Best of luck!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I agree with the heat being the culprit. We had a mini Spring heat wave last week and I could barely push out 3mi! I don't think there's anything you can do. For the first time in my life I was considering running on a treadmill...or getting some of those not-so-modest shorts. Thank God our normal weather returned over the weekend. Maybe the weather will shift back for you too.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had a couple runs like this last week. It sucks, but yes, it's the heat. You gotta make adjustments while your body acclimates. Get used to degraded performance above 60° :)