Fitbit Charge HR false steps & missed stairs

Options
keeponkickin
keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
I got a new Charge 10 days ago. Last night I was at a MLB game and noticed that I gained 500, or so, extra steps all while I was seated enjoying the game. Those false steps were caused from clapping. 500 is a drop in the bucket compared to my over 20,000 steps in a day average. Anyone else experience false steps? I also get missed flights of stairs when I got up and down the stairs in my two story home.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Stairs do not affect your burn in any way—it's just a motivating metric. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" walking outside on a windy day.

I don't overthink my step count. Yes, I get extra "steps" from clapping. Maybe I lose steps pushing a shopping cart. All that matters to me is my burn. I lost the weight & have maintained for ten months. My Fitbit burn = TDEE. That's the only accuracy I care about.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's an activity tracker, not just a step tracker. I scrubbed a lot of surfaces the other day, got my heartbeat up doing so, and deservedly was credited "steps." I also got step credit for vigorous river paddling.
  • gingersnap143
    gingersnap143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with FishyK! Activity all the way! Clapping may simulate steps and does increase your heart rate! Dont sweat it! ;)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned. Just wondering if others had the same with their Fitbit. It's just a drop in the bucket for me with how active I am
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I gained steps burping my baby lol. No big deal, I've been over my step goals every day anyways! :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I took the stairs off my dashboard, with Colorado's weather fronts they were always off. I live in a two story house with a basement, so I get stairs in daily, could care less if they are on the dashboard.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I took the stairs off my dashboard, with Colorado's weather fronts they were always off. I live in a two story house with a basement, so I get stairs in daily, could care less if they are on the dashboard.

I'm also in Colorado. We can get some wild winds here and they're guaranteed to throw off my stair count. But even on a calm day, I get stairs that I shouldn't. So, I've taken the tile off my dashboard, and the display off my Fitbit so I don't have to scroll past it (although it's still there when I put it in exercise mode).