Eat to Perform

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
I know several of you follow ETP. I have been reading about it and even have gotten a copy of Metabolic Flexiblity. I have been really impressed on what increased protein has done to my appetite/sugar cravings. Have any of you paid the $80.00 and joined forums/science lab? Is it worth it? What do you feel it has added? Thank you.

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes! I finally joined officially a couple months ago....and it was worth it. The message boards alone--the one monitor lady gave me my exact breakdown of macros/calories, when I should eat them, and instrutions on how to adjust myfitnesspal to the new goals--also you make your MFP public and if you stall out, they will look through and give you pointers. They also share recipes and workouts and accountability. We have a special board for our gym because we are doing a gym-based challenge, which is kind of cool too. To be honest, I wasn't as strict at my macros before joining and I didn't time my food in the best ways--plus, knowing that my food diary is public now makes a difference. After starting to follow it for real, my body fat dropped aroudn 2% and I gained 1.5lbs of muscle mass--plus PRed a bunch of lifts--in less than 6 weeks. I'm a total believer now. Haha
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    ^^ Thank you. Between your recommendation and the 30 days money back guarantee, I bit the bullet and joined. I'm awaiting for approval. I'm a bit nervous as I am a big girl (ie I have weight to lose) however I want to gain muscle first and foremost.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Good luck. :-)

And, if that's the case, I think you'll see some amazing results. They really do focus on the building of muscle--it just raises your metabolism so quickly. :-)

I was really stagnated at the gym and had begun to think, "well, this is just where my 33 year old, post-baby self is gonna be." Then I flipped some of my thinking on food around (didn't change total calories, really) and wham: I'm making strides again--getting stronger, finishing workouts I couldn't finish before. That 1.5lbs of muscle in 6 weeks was a major shocker for me.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it but haven't been losing weight. Combo of both not eating as well as I should (though calorie wise being pretty on point) and a faulty TDEE calculation. Will be adjusting both and getting things together starting this week, and we are doing a Paleo challenge in June which should help lock things in.
  • vkudlock
    vkudlock Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also just signed up!!!
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Update: I have read the material and been following ETP for about 3 to 4 weeks. The last 3 WODs I basically smashed them, each one I seem to be able to push harder and harder. Example: 5 Rds FT, 200m run, 12 atl leg Pistol Squats and 9 T2B... time 11:18 all unbroken. Finished almost a minute faster than the rest and I am the oldest at 56. I think adding carbs back into my diet is working. I feel like I am gaining weight/ bloated but my waist is the same size (I am avoiding the evil scale on purpose right now). Oh yeah, I also noticed how much faster I am recovering after a WOD. Will provide another update after 2 months.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it 3 months now, I'm pretty consistent but not 100% as sometimes social engagements mean you just have to forget it.

I've lost a little bit of scale weight, not a huge amount, but I do feel stronger, recover faster and am starting to see muscle definition.

The last couple of days I've been hungry despite sticking to my numbers so I think my metabolism might have kicked up a notch!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, how is this going for you? I've been interested and looking at the website but not sure that I could really pull it off.

I'm 50 year olds, woman, feed a family of three others who are pretty supportive but they like their food their way. I managed to fit myself into a mostly paleo/primal kind of diet by subbing their junk out and adding veggies. Last night was tacos. I had a big pile of spinach/veggies dressed w/ olive oil with taco meat & avacado on top. It was yummy. But, lately I find myself starving.

And, my crossfit workouts are kind of suffering. Part of it is the heat. Part of it is a temporary change at work that makes me workout at 5:30 pm rather than 600 a.m. I think some carbs might really be helpful so I've added some to my breakfast. i.e. oatmeal or granola w/ my greek yogurt. I know yogurt isn't paleo but it is good protein and I seem to be ok with it.

I would really like to lose another 10-15 pounds but seem to of stalled out. I am ok w/ slow and steady changes. I don't handle hunger that well. We cook a lot and eat real food.

What do you think about Eat to Perform? Anyone losing a few pounds on it? I am already convinced that my workouts would be better but the lose fat thing is also a goal even if wasn't immediate.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have any of you that have been following ETP eating actually lost weight? I know I have gained a fair amount of muscle but I haven't lost weight, I'm up 7-8 lbs but my waist is still skinny and my arms, chest and legs are much bigger. Maybe it depends on the starting point, I was pretty lean when I started ETP and really just increased my endurance and recovery.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Others stick to it more than me, but I'll say that if you are starving after you eat, you aren't eating enough. As long as you tolerate yogurt and oatmeal/granola well, add it and see how things go. Ideally on ETF you are losing about a pound a week. So don't expect quick progress.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    I have not really lost any scale weight, but 4% body fat (from almost 23% to just under 19%). I've also gained approximately 2-3lbs of skeletal muscle mass. (also PRed my deadlift, snatch, C&J, Fran time, etc.)

I adore food, so I couldn't do with something that forced me into veggies all day long (sorry not sorry). I tried that after I had my daughter and was miserable. Life is too short for me to be miserable. So on this, I eat plenty of carbs and I make sure to hit my protein and fat macros daily. If I'm hungry, I eat a bit more--particularly on workout days. If you focus on building lean muscle mass (which anyone can do--regardless of age--if you're weight-training and eating high protein)--your body fat will go down. That's what's worked for me, anyways.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Also--I'm totally not paleo, and ETP really isn't paleo either (though he's not really *anti* paleo per se). I get most of my protein from dairy, I'd say...and I eat bread and lucky charms and my occasional cookies and ice cream. But if you are low carb, you should transition to the ETP way slowly--too quick of adding carbs will make you bloated.
  • mccraee
    Options
    Thanks all. What I'm doing has kind of stalled so I don't have much to lose by trying. Ha ha. Not a great pun
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    I have not really lost any scale weight, but 4% body fat (from almost 23% to just under 19%). I've also gained approximately 2-3lbs of skeletal muscle mass. (also PRed my deadlift, snatch, C&J, Fran time, etc.)

I adore food, so I couldn't do with something that forced me into veggies all day long (sorry not sorry). I tried that after I had my daughter and was miserable. Life is too short for me to be miserable. So on this, I eat plenty of carbs and I make sure to hit my protein and fat macros daily. If I'm hungry, I eat a bit more--particularly on workout days. If you focus on building lean muscle mass (which anyone can do--regardless of age--if you're weight-training and eating high protein)--your body fat will go down. That's what's worked for me, anyways.

I'll take this every day and twice on Sundays, though at the end of the day I do need to to get lighter. If I convert this fat to muscle I should be playing football :)
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, I am finding it really stressful.

• mccraee
    Options
    what is going on?

It just seems like a lot of food. That being said, I've started adding some more carbs back in, especially after working out. I workout in the morning and I just find that I am kind of mentally slow after which doesn't fly for me. Especially not in the mornings. I am eating more after working out and more carbs at that time and feeling better.

For the past two weeks I've been working out in the afternoons. It is hot. I'm tired. My workouts haven't been very good. But, I guess I'll see what happens when I go back to mornings next week.

• bethlivi
    Options
    I'm cycling off of cutting for awhile. I've been hungrier and I'm going through a stressful time at work, so I just don't have it in me to do any cutting on non workout days. So I'll maintenance eat for the next couple of months and then after my tenure packet is submitted, I'll cut for another month or two. :-)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    That's a ton of stress. Good luck and hopefully everything works out for you.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not a normally very anxious person--I'm pretty much a bundle of energy and enthusiasm and happiness all day lol--but this is taking me out of my element. Big time.

So I needs to eat all the cookies. Hehe
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight on ETP...I gained 10 kgs lmao. But I am heeeeeeeaps stronger and faster and have heaps of energy and look better. I am still scared of carbs and I feel really guilty most of the time because I think some of the foods I eat are "bad" foods. I follow my macros pretty strictly. I am doing a "cut" at the moment but I still feel like I eat a lot and feel really good :)