5/11 Day 81 Monday Movin May 11

Options
Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
Monday Work Assessment

Challenge: Most of us sit a lot at work. For today's challenge, look for ways you can reduce your work-time sitting. Here's a good resource for some ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408068416212462633/ What ways can you sit less at work?

Alternative Challenge: Try and perform 3 acts of kindness today! :D

Replies

• faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tend to use my cell phone a lot at work, and my "one thing" was to stand when I'm using it. It's been a hard habit to start so far!
  • Krishna_Veni
    Krishna_Veni Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Done total of 60min walk without using vehicle to work and home. And did some pilates.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It is hard to reduce office sitting. I've gotten in the habit of getting up and either stretching or walking a bit every 15 or 20 minutes and I'm much less stiff as a result. Even if I only stand up and stretch for 15 seconds or so, that's better than staying put. And now, if I'm stumped on something, I will get up and walk. That's generally enough to help me figure out a solution.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Moving the trash and recycling bins away from my desk helps too. Now I have to get up and move!
  • themedalist
    Options
    faithan84 wrote: »
    I tend to use my cell phone a lot at work, and my "one thing" was to stand when I'm using it. It's been a hard habit to start so far!

I'm sure it is! Give it time!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Done total of 60min walk without using vehicle to work and home. And did some pilates.

Wow, Great job on the walking and pilates, Krishna_Veni
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I need more reasons to get up and move around. I do for my weights, usually in the early evening/late afternoon. But until then, I sit unless I have something to do, like go get much lunch or take an empty bottle to the recycle bin.
  • MnMalecha
    MnMalecha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom so I sit a lot rocking baby and feeding baby. I have made my one thing laundry. So now everyday while folding I do it standing. I am really making a habit out of it. I am trying to stand to rock baby to sleep more too but man that makes my back hurt after a while!
  • ossadsf
    ossadsf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Took a break to stand up every hour while I was reading. Idk it's hard tho - I definitely feel like I get less done when I take breaks so often. I guess it's just finding a balance? :/

Also, act of kindness: the person behind me at the cafe was $1 short on their purchase & the cashier had already rung it up, so I paid for the rest of it.
  • themedalist
    Options
    ossadsf wrote: »
    Took a break to stand up every hour while I was reading. Idk it's hard tho - I definitely feel like I get less done when I take breaks so often. I guess it's just finding a balance? :/

Also, act of kindness: the person behind me at the cafe was $1 short on their purchase & the cashier had already rung it up, so I paid for the rest of it.

Truly, a sitting break can be as short as 20 seconds to stand up and stretch...enough to break up all the sitting.

And great job on the random act of kindness, ossadsf!

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I was off work, but I had a very active day! I got a workout in, and did my once-a-month house/yard cleaning. Today at work I'll be trying to sit less.
  • ossadsf
    ossadsf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ossadsf wrote: »

Truly, a sitting break can be as short as 20 seconds to stand up and stretch...enough to break up all the sitting.

And great job on the random act of kindness, ossadsf!

True, but it's more the break in focus; I feel like it takes ~5 mins to get back to the same level of concentration each time I stop. I guess I could try keep reading when I stand up & see how that works.
  • keepcalmrunon246
    keepcalmrunon246 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Did a run/walk with friends, so 25 extra minutes - done!