heartrate monitor accuracy?

Options
hncary
hncary Posts: 176 Member
Hello, I've had a flex for a while now and was looking at one of the newer fitbits with the heartrate monitors, but I'm wondering if they are very accurate or worth the upgrade. I was having trouble finding what I wanted to know when googling. Thanks!

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Try the FAQ
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

I used a Polar chest HRM with bluetooth before my Charge HR, there was so little difference it didn't matter to me. The chest model is good if you bike, swim, do HIIT, or other non step based activities. If you mostly do step based as I personally do, the Charge HR is terrific, so the Surge wasn't worth the extra cost to me.

I have not tried one but the Surge recently got an upgrade to better handle the biking and HIIT as well.
  • hncary
    Options
    Try the FAQ
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

I used a Polar chest HRM with bluetooth before my Charge HR, there was so little difference it didn't matter to me. The chest model is good if you bike, swim, do HIIT, or other non step based activities. If you mostly do step based as I personally do, the Charge HR is terrific, so the Surge wasn't worth the extra cost to me.

I have not tried one but the Surge recently got an upgrade to better handle the biking and HIIT as well.

Thank you
  • smars_2
    smars_2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got the charge hr and had previously been using a new balance chest strap hrm. In the two days I've had the Fitbit, the caloric burn has differed by less than 20 calories. I'm keeping track for the week. If it continues to be negligible I'll stop using the chest strap.
  • smars_2
    smars_2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say I wear both while working out. I do turbo fire at home. That includes hiit and traditional aerobic type cardio.
  • hncary
    Options
    smars_2 wrote: »
    I just got the charge hr and had previously been using a new balance chest strap hrm. In the two days I've had the Fitbit, the caloric burn has differed by less than 20 calories. I'm keeping track for the week. If it continues to be negligible I'll stop using the chest strap.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was wanting to know :)
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge, and the HR monitor is pretty spot on for me. I recently went to the doctor and they were doing vital signs, so I compared the HR monitor on my Surge to the one on my finger connected to the machine... and it was like 1-2 off. Pretty good to me.