Breakfast?

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
I am not a morning person, so I usually have Greek yogurt w/protein powder added in for breakfast because it is quick and easy. However, I have noticed the last week or so that I am getting hungry about 4 hrs. later, even though I am drinking during that time. I'm wondering if maybe I need to change up my breakfast so I'm not so hungry? Does anyone have suggestions for a high-protein, fast & easy breakfast?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Isn't 4 hours a normal amount of time between meals or am I missing something? I would think if you wanted to go longer or needed to go longer you might want to use the protein powder for a mid morning snack instead of mixing it into the yogurt.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Pat: My dr wants me to have my breakfast w/in an hour of waking up. That means I need to eat it between 6-6:30. My lunch isn't until 11:30 to 12:00. My dr would prefer I don't have snacks, just my 3 meals per day, so ideally I'd like to have my breakfast keep me until lunch. Except that it isn't. :( Maybe I'll just have to come up with some type of snack for around 10:00.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Isn't 4 hours a normal amount of time between meals or am I missing something?
    ^^^^THIS^^^^^. I would think being hungry 4 hours after eating only a yogurt would be totally normal. :)

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have been adding Hodgsen flax meal (they come in travel packets - I add one, 30 cals) to my yogurt with protein powder. I also add 1/2 serving BodyCrunch Body360 whey protein crunchies to it (no flavor just like protein granola). My yogurt is still only about 5 oz but it has 250 cals and 52g protein (13g carbs, 3g fat).

The extra fat and protein may keep you a little longer, but 4 hrs is pretty good... You could also try adding some oatmeal to it.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I never make it more than 4 hours. Anytime I try I end up binge eating. For me a snack at 10 is essential.

As far as breakfasts, I do a lot of yogurt with protein powder, quest bars, and small omelettes on the weekends. I also sometimes do shakes because they are fast and I am often on the road in the morning.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and fruit is a go to for me
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe a protein shake at 10? That way you are not snacking but you might feel full until lunch.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    OK, Lori, I see the problem. I personally can't do food or even a shake for a few hours after I get up. It makes me nauseous, always has even before WLS. I find I can't get my calories or protein without a snack, sometime two. But if you are using the protein powder mid morning rather than in your yogurt first thing, yes you are adding a "snack" but not adding calories, just redistributing them. You should still be OK.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I normally have protein powder and a 1/4 cup milk in coffee first thing in the morning. I usually work out right after breakfast and then have a snack mid-morning (within 30 min of workout)--so about 3-4 hours after my coffee. Usually that is either an apple and cheese, a Greek yogurt with a little granola, or sometimes a quest bar or muscle milk (although I prefer real food).

Anyway, you're the second person this week I've read that your doctor wants you to do all your calories/protein in three meals a day. I don't eat that way and I really don't know if I would have been successful doing so--especially with exercise. I'm curious what their reasoning is for wanting you (collective you) to do that? Did they tell you? I'm sort of blown away by how much variety there is in the "plan" for eating after surgery based on which doctor you see.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others have said. With as little as we can hold, hungry 4 hours after a meal, particularly a low density one like yogurt sounds normal. I couldn't have gotten my recommended calories, (at least 1000\day) without snacks during the first year. I too, eat about every 4 hours, recognizing there is an important distinction between a planned and measured snack or meal, and grazing. A typical snack might be part of an apple or a cheese stick, or a 1/4 c of oriental rice crackers mixed with pistacios or 1/2 a Quest bar or a Power Crunch protein bar.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that has been said previously. I have a snack/mini meal every 3-4 hours drinking water in between. But as far as easy and filling breakfast- I make mini crustless quiches in a muffin tin for my hubby at the beginning of the week. There's tons of recipes online but a little cheese/veg maybe meat and they're pretty tasty. I myself work from home so I can cook :) I eat an egg, sprouted whole grain toast with a teeny bit of butter, and one slice of bacon or fruit and that definitely holds me for a while. It's also my favorite meal (I could eat runny eggs on a shoe lol)
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    4 hours is a long time. I eat every 3 hours. You could try some chia seeds (I use Qia which is a mix of chis, hemp and buckwheat) to the yogurt. It seems to be more filling and last longer. Protein powder and yogurt don't seem to stay too long with me. You could try something a little more dense like meat. A small snack like nuts or cheese in between meals is what I would recommend but you should talk to your dietician.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My NUT advises 3 distinct meals with no snacking because she sees people slide into grazing with snacks. She also said that we need to eat in a way that works for us and individuals though.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I eat every three hours, four max, or I get too overly hungry and grouchy. No one likes me when I'm grouchy.
  • DrSchmincke
    DrSchmincke Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me to go no longer than 5 hours without protein. A good snack for me is a low fat cheese stick.
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I cook up a batch of steel cut Irish oatmeal on weekends because I'm in a hurry on weekday mornings. Then I put it in a Tupperware container in fridge. In the mornings I stir in a Tbsp or two of egg whites and heat up in microwave. I put a tiny pay of butter, cinnamon and sprinkle some walnuts. With the added egg whites and walnuts it holds me over for four hours until lunch. Rarely do I need a snack.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My top breakfasts:
    -A premier shake (straight from.the bottle)
    -Smoothie made with greek yogurt, protein powder, milk, spinach and depending on the flavor I'm going for, some frozen banana, ofher fruit or PB2
    -morningstar farm veggie sausage patty with a tiny bit of cheese on top and 2 slices of center cut bacon (center cut has less fat)
    -greek yogurt with protein powder and sometimes a litte fruit

Occasionally I'll do cottage cheese with diced peaches.

My sleeve is still not entirely happy with eggs, so I try them every so often. I actually scrambled one with some taco meat, cheese and hot sauce and it went down so much better than just egg and cheese.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i usually start with a 1/2 a premier shake and then make an 3 Tbsp egg beaters omelet with shredded mozzarella and zesty bean dip/ fresh salsa spread on top, it tends to hold me over a lil longer than if i only do the premier protein shake then i finish the rest before i start my lunch ..its a nice bit of protein (30g total), 15g from shake, 6g from egg beaters, 6g from cheese and 2g from bean dip if used