Advice to PR my 10k...

Options
carriekwi
carriekwi Posts: 45 Member
Okay.... I am racing 10k on Saturday and wondered if those of you with more race experience can suggest a pace that would get me a new PR without pushing so hard that I bonk out. Here's my info:

- I run 20 miles/week, 5 days, long run is 6.5 miles.
- most of my miles are run at about 11:22/mile.
- fastest sustainable pace for 1 mile is 9:00.
- previous 10k PR is 01:10:30.
- I have an cadence of 155 spm. Working to improve it with a metronome but no progress yet.... Running at 170-180 feels like my feet are stepping on each other! Too short!

Also.... I usually run positive splits ( just can't keep my legs going!). I really struggle with good form and I still feel like a fish on land when I run... Awkward.

Any advice? Wish me luck.....
;) Thanks!
Carrie

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well you can't change training so soon before a race. Things I do close to a race:

-rest two days out and do a short shake out the day before.

-make sure to wake up 2.5 hours or more before the race to eat so I can "empty out" before the race and have less risk of GI issues.

- start slow and end fast. Doesn't matter what the result is, it ALWAYS feels better if you I got faster at the end.

-
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Your training pace of 11:22 will set a PR. If you don't think you can make it the distance at that pace then run at your old PR pace of 11:37 until the last mile then slowly bump it up and when you see the finish go all out.

But, I'm not a trainer either. That's what I would do though, seems safe and sure to set a PR.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    carriekwi wrote: »
    Okay.... I am racing 10k on Saturday and wondered if those of you with more race experience can suggest a pace that would get me a new PR without pushing so hard that I bonk out. Here's my info:

- I run 20 miles/week, 5 days, long run is 6.5 miles.
    - most of my miles are run at about 11:22/mile.
    - fastest sustainable pace for 1 mile is 9:00.
    - previous 10k PR is 01:10:30.
    - I have an cadence of 155 spm. Working to improve it with a metronome but no progress yet.... Running at 170-180 feels like my feet are stepping on each other! Too short!

Also.... I usually run positive splits ( just can't keep my legs going!). I really struggle with good form and I still feel like a fish on land when I run... Awkward.

Any advice? Wish me luck.....
    ;) Thanks!
    Carrie

Assuming proper training and all uncontrollable factors being in your favor, McMillan says this:

98j028j29j4q.png

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think you're on target to hit a PR even if you start a bit fast and slow at the end. Even averaging 11:00 minute miles, you'll PR. My advice at this point would be not to get too much in your own head and psych yourself out so much that the run becomes a slog because you're stressed. Go out, have fun, and watch that PR drop! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The Galloway race predictor which I have found to be accurate says you can race a 10K at a 10:21 pace. So go out at that pace and don't go any faster until the last mile. Then if you can, speed up.
  • carriekwi
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies..... Going to shoot for a pace between 10:20 and 10:40. I will let you know how my race goes! :)
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do let us know how you get on! I'm doing my first ten k since last August tomorrow, would love to pb but more importantly gotta finish smiling :)
  • carriekwi
    Options
    Just finished! It was a trail run which is tough for me.... But guess what?

PR!!!! 01:07:57.
    I'm happy. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member