Favorite Distance

Options

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Marathon! I would say the ten miler but I haven't done one in 3 years or so.

However...Broad Street 2016!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the mile. Second is the marathon. Very hard to train for both.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Last fall it was the half but now it's the 10K because of the speed without the walkers of a 5K.

I never ran a half with more than 200 other runners so June will be first big half so maybe the favorite will change.

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I like all of them <3 well up to a marathon, not further on that (yet!). I almost said 15K but that is just because that is the latest distance that I am happy with the outcome.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like the half the best. Like others have said, it's enough to be challenging but not so long that training takes up my whole life.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That's a good point, I really want to work up to a full, but I have a two year old at home that demands attention.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I like particular races that interest me, period. No matter the distance. For instance, I really enjoyed running the Oak Barrel HM cause it was in Lynchburg, TN where it was sponsored by the Jack Daniels Distillery. Lots of great bling. It's a big deal to Lynchburg and the to distillery and they really did a great job organizing it. Lots of locals giving support and great food afterwards. A lot of people from my local running club participated and we all met for a pot luck picnic afterwards. It was a lot of fun.

I enjoy the Cotton Row race that is put on by my local running club every Memorial Day. They make a big deal about it and is the largest race in the area. It's a 5K and 10K. They have a large cash prize to anyone that can break the course record for both events. Because of that, it attracts a lot of attention and a lot of participants. I only ran the 10K and will be running it again this year.

The Rocket City marathon is also a big deal for my local running club in December. I like being in races where the people from my running groups participate and get involved with. We have preview runs prior to the event which are also fun. I get to meet fellow local runners in addition to the ones I already run with.

So the distance doesn't really matter as long as the race itself sparks some kind of interest for me. With that said, I have yet to run a 5K. I haven't really trained for it yet. I really am training more for the longer distances. 10K's, halves, and a full. I haven't done an ultra yet and probably won't for a while.

My goal is to make it to the Boston Marathon in the next few years. After I can achieve that then maybe I will shift my goals and training.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm growing to love the HM distance, though I'm still slow as molasses at it. If I'm going to have to get up so early, I better be running for awhile! I do like the 10K distance, which is just over an hour for me.

I agree about liking particular races, no matter what the distance. I recently did my first 25km trail race and really loved the trail racing aspect. Such different energy than a road race. Would totally do a 50km distance at least once just for that experience, though I don't think I'd ever love that distance.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^^ I hear that, i already have my first marathon picked out because the path that they choose is SO amazing and i used to drive it each day. I'm so excited to run that race...i may chose the half option first but i really want to do the full eventually.

It's awesome to hear all your stories. Gives me little newbie butterflies in my tummy.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    10 miles because an hour is long enough :)

Similar answer here but 10k (not miles) as an hour is about right for me.

• djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    10 miles because an hour is long enough :)

Yeah, cos that's how fast you run 10 miles... ;)

I like half marathons too because it's a pace that feels sustainable but you don't have to do it for too long. I hate 10ks because the faster pace is so much harder, yet it's still a pretty long way. Which means I love 5 miles, because it's like doing a 10k, but just at the point where you really want to stop, it turns out it's the end already: WIN!

Strange but that makes a lot of sense. I love the way you put it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've gone up to the marathon distance. I had a great time running my one and only marathon, but I love 5ks. It is my most successful distance and I enjoy running "fast", for a little bit.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    8k.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    10k is my bread and butter. love me the Plaza 10k in Kansas City, MO!
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Half Marathons! I hate 5k races because I don't get to slow down at all!
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Trail half marathon somewhere nice and scenic... can't beat it
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    valentine4 wrote: »
    Trail half marathon somewhere nice and scenic... can't beat it

It doesn't matter what the distance is, it's always better on a trail :)
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    6 miles is the sweet spot for me.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If given an option of any distance I'll choose the marathon. One of my training partners like to remind me that based on Age Graded performance the 5K is my best event but those hurt.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My 5k is my 'best' age graded performance too, but it's not my best race performance by any other measure (e.g. McMillan predictions, national rankings, how much work I put in, etc.). I'm not convinced age grading is useful for anything other than comparing yourself with others of your age and gender at a specific distance (i.e. not for comparing yourself across different distances, or yourself with athletes of the opposite gender, etc.)