Pics of "Perfect" People... Inspiration or Discouraging?

Options
shiftynj
shiftynj Posts: 103 Member
Thanks to the ad industry we are bombarded with images of perfect-looking models, athletes and other celebrities. Do you find images of people with these great bodies an inspiration to work harder, or do they discourage/depress you?

I'm gonna let people answer if they want before I give my own thoughts.

Replies

• governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To me, they're neither a discouragement, neither an inspiration.

Having pictures of what community PERCEIVES as 'perfect' as an inspiration, to me, sounds like a setup for disappointment. I don't see the point.
    ~
    [SIDENOTE]
    "Perfect" is overrated. Humans keep believing that "Nobody is perfect".
    I'm telling you, everyone is already perfect.
    You have all the tools you need to live, to breathe, to function, to love, to enjoy your time.
    Perfect seems to be true for everything except for humans.
    The trees are perfect. The stars are. The animals are. - We don't judge those in the same way we judge ourselves.
    Why would perfection be true for all of nature and life EXCEPT for humans?
    It's simply not true.

Everything and everyone is already perfect, humans make themselves unhappy believing they are NOT;
    They start searching for perfection but can never find it, because it is to be found WITHIN and humans only search for it OUTSIDE of themselves.

~
    Rather, I look at myself and the mirror and imagine my own possiblities.
    With my build, with my own body rather than someone else's.
    In this way I am inspired and encouraged, without having to constantly compare myself to someone else- which isn't productive at all anyway, cause you will never be that person or have their very physical composition.
    You body isn't the same as someone elses, you might never achieve the look of that one model - being too focused on that might just make you feel very bad or give up, while getting fit should be a positive challenge.

Add to that- Models and celebrities often have been surgically worked on and often what they look like is not achieved through hard work. Photoshop also is powerful and make-up can make someone unrecognizable.

I feel it is useless to compare yourself to celebrities, models or athletes. We are, I assume, mostly people with an actual life that don't have money to waste on plastic surgery or many hours to spend in the gym daily.
    I feel it is useless to compare yourself to anyone else at all.

You have your own unique body, unique composition, unique build.
    And I feel it's better to focus on your own physique, and get motivation out of the possibilities you see personally can achieve.

• stormfront98
    stormfront98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    shiftynj wrote: »
    Thanks to the ad industry we are bombarded with images of perfect-looking models, athletes and other celebrities. Do you find images of people with these great bodies an inspiration to work harder, or do they discourage/depress you?

I'm gonna let people answer if they want before I give my own thoughts.

Unmotivated: While we love to see the gloss pages or the on line ads of hot sexy celebrities and beautiful models graced in style with curves and flawless skin. That is great but for a good portion of the average everyday working people who struggle with weight, exercise cube dwellers behind a pc some with children those glossy glam shots do not encourage . The one thing most people say when they are flipping threw the magazine at supermarket or waiting room at dentist " I wish I had his looks /body or I looked like her " but its unrealistic those stars have personal trainers timed for work out personal nutritionist they work hard to look that good with a lot of money to keep them in line to that life style they lead shoots locations they live it 24/7 they have no Friday night pizza night or double cheeseburger bbq's LOL If I wouldn't mind having a personal trainer 24/7 and and a personal chef to cook special meals and be able to work out with the trainer in home on location nice life. LOL what is motivating is seeing someone live work out .. someone who struggled and achieves their goals