How do I sync Fitbit and MFP after they are linked?

Hi! I've tried wading thru a lot of old posts and couldn't find this answered.

I am tracking my food on MFP and exercise on my fitbit, the only problem is that it doesn't seem to update or sync that info very quickly even though I have them linked. Is there some way to get it to do it when I want it to do it? Is there some setting I need to select to do it manually whenever I want? Basically I want to complete my day on MFP and the exercise info hasn't synced over so it looks like I overate. =(

Thanks in advance!
Laura

Replies

• mmm7350
    mmm7350 Posts: 2 Member
    You ned to track both your food and exercise on the MFP and input the time that you did your exercise so that it can accurately calculate the calories. My other understanding is that you'll want to sync your fitbit with a devise right before bed so that it calculates all your calories accurately for your day.

Hope this helps!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You ONLY need to manually log exercise that is not step based - swimming obviously, biking, rowing, lifting, elliptical, ect.

That can be logged on MFP or Fitbit - Fitbit's database is a tad more expansive for different intensity levels, and newer for calorie burn estimate.

You don't HAVE to track exercise on MFP at all. It's not like their reports or diary is that great anyway.

If you want the wall post of the workout - just make it manually and give more details.

Are you updating info through the app, or the website?
    Web accounts are in seconds for me. I don't use the apps.

But the apps must sync the data to the app server, from there to the account server, from there to the other site's account server, from account server to app server, then to your app.
    Ya, it can be delayed.

But any new info starts it going again.

If the syncing on your accounts is working decently.

Oh - exercise info does NOT sync over - your total daily burn syncs over to MFP.

You could exercise, and be very inactive rest of day, and Fitbit will not report that you burned more than MFP estimated you'd burn anyway.
    If you enable negative calorie adjustments - you'll see if that is the case.

Or you could exercise 500 calorie, and be very active, and adjustment is 700 cal.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    I’m thinking there are two thoughts about this question. One, are you asking about syncing technically? I can get my accounts to sync whenever I want. After I do a run I will look at my Fitbit Dashboard on my smart phone and let that Sync with my Fitbit, then I will look at MFP and I sometimes have to look at a few screens in MFP or tell it to Sync, by selecting “sync” in the menu, but within a minute it will add the extra calories I burned to my MFP account.

But, I was wondering if you are confused about the way the Fitbit adds calories? The Fitbit adds calories over a 24 hour period. So when you wake up in the morning the Dashboard will say you burned 300 calories, but those are just calories for being alive from midnight until you get up. It will continue to add calories from midnight to midnight, so right after dinner it may look like you overate because you haven’t burned all your calories yet. You will have burned all your calories for the day at midnight that night. Hope that made sense?
  • lauraroehl
    lauraroehl Posts: 7 Member
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    then I will look at MFP and I sometimes have to look at a few screens in MFP or tell it to Sync, by selecting “sync” in the menu, but within a minute it will add the extra calories I burned to my MFP account.

That's it exactly!! How do I get to the menu to get MFP to sync with the fitbit? Thanks!
  • heybales
    iOS app or Android app?
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    I have an android Galaxy S4 and on mine, when MFP is open there are 3 little bars in the top left corner. Tap those and the menu opens. I can scroll down and choose sync. However I have to say even that doesn't always work for me. The best way that I can get it to sync is by adding food or sometimes even just by clicking on "diary" on the menu. For some reason that seems to grab the newest sync info. It's just sometimes I don't need to add food at that time, but I usually get it to work fairly quickly by clicking into a few screens like I said earlier. It's kind of weird.
  • lauraroehl
    lauraroehl Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you all for your help!!! :D
  • maiklohse
    maiklohse Posts: 4 Member
    My problem is that the calorie intake doesn't synch from mfp to fitbit. My fitbit always shows 0 calorie intake. Any idea
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    If you click on the calorie intake tile, does it still show zero? My fitbit app often shows zero cals in on the main dashboard (in iOS 8) but correct data if I click on the tile for more info. (One of the many reasons I prefer to log via MFP - I've posted about this error on the fitbit forums and gotten no feedback whatsoever.)
  • heybales
    Have you checked for the actual meals existing with calorie totals?
  • maiklohse
    To me it seems like my connection between MFP and Fitbit gets disconnected once a day. If I go in and dis- or reconnect the two apps - bam it is all there - but then the next day it fails to show anything again. Very frustrating
  • maiklohse
    Same with excersizes. I use Runkeeper. If I connect the apps the workouts show in Fitbit. The next day - they don't anymore....
  • pauljm24
    pauljm24 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know if this is helpful to anyone but I had a problem between Fitbit and MFP that only occurred at the start of summer. It turned out to be because the clocks went forward (UK) and the time zones were different by 1 hour. I solved it by going (in Fitbit) to Account > Advanced Settings nd switched off the Set Automatically setting. Now it fully syncs no problem.

This is with Fitbit charge and MFP on iPhone
  • pauljm24
    pauljm24 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2015
    It seems that MFP doesn't allow for manual or automatic adjustment for British Summer Time or at least I can't find the setting that gives you an option to change it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    pauljm24 wrote: »
    It seems that MFP doesn't allow for manual or automatic adjustment for British Summer Time or at least I can't find the setting that gives you an option to change it.

Set your MFP time zone at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/timezone

Set your Fitbit time zone at https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit