shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
"Murph"

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.

I know my gym will be doing this WOD on Saturday. I'm already praying for survival. This is one of the only workouts that after it's done, I won't workout again for 2-3 days b/c I can't move a thing. I usually break mine up into 10's, 20's, and 30's for 10 rounds between those 1 mile runs. I'm still pondering if I want to try to break it up a different way this year. I'm still using bands for my pull-ups so I don't want to tire myself out to much before I hit those push-ups. Of course there are a few at our gym that go in order from pull to push to squats. How do you plan on doing your Murph this year? Have any goals in mind? Hopefully it's not too early to ask.

Replies

• kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm still debating if I will participate. LOL! I'm celebrating my bachelorette party this weekend.... :neutral:
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Our box is doing Murph Monday, we are allowed to split it up, thankfully. I think I might try 5/10/15 for 20 rounds. I get VERY lazy with pullups, I don't like getting back on the bar once I've dropped. But 5 kipping pullups is a good number for me, so I'm thinking I can manage that better than shooting for 10 and spending a lot of time looking at the bar in the later rounds. A bunch of us are going to Brunch after and I will be thinking about a Bloody Mary the whole time!
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    We will be doing it monday. I'm planning to do it, but I will definitely break it up
  • shaypearl
    Options
    Our box is doing Murph Monday, we are allowed to split it up, thankfully. I think I might try 5/10/15 for 20 rounds. I get VERY lazy with pullups, I don't like getting back on the bar once I've dropped. But 5 kipping pullups is a good number for me, so I'm thinking I can manage that better than shooting for 10 and spending a lot of time looking at the bar in the later rounds. A bunch of us are going to Brunch after and I will be thinking about a Bloody Mary the whole time!

That is funny! I'm looking forward to getting off those bands one day, but that is a smart tactic to get er done.

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If we've never done it before our box makes us scale it--either as a pair, sharing the reps, or doing 10 rounds of Cindy alone. Rx is to do it with a vest, like a chipper. But you can do it with no vest if you've done it before. Since I've never done it, I'll do the 10 rounds of Cindy, Rx...but my hands are torn up from the past couple of weeks so we will see how they hold up. :-)
  • shaypearl
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    If we've never done it before our box makes us scale it--either as a pair, sharing the reps, or doing 10 rounds of Cindy alone. Rx is to do it with a vest, like a chipper. But you can do it with no vest if you've done it before. Since I've never done it, I'll do the 10 rounds of Cindy, Rx...but my hands are torn up from the past couple of weeks so we will see how they hold up. :-)

Good luck! I will be in gloves. I have sensitive hands, hehehehe

• bethlivi
    Options
    I've got new grips to try. Haha
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I heard today that we are doing something "in the spirit of murph". Obviously we're not up to the real thing physically but spiritually we'll be there
  • samanthab19
    samanthab19 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Our box is allowing partners, but I'm so nervous for some reason. Going to give it a try though!
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Monday at my Box as well... once I get past the pull ups (still suck at kipping and butterfly) I will be fine. Push-ups and running are two of my strengths. Going to spend some more time tonight working on my pull-ups. Tonight, Saturday morning and then Monday morning... there is a good chance I am going to be a wreck next week! Might have to skip Tuesday evening.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We are doing running heats every hour from 9am until 1pm. Given that my good knee has been getting sore every time I run, I think I might sub out a 2000m row for the runs. I'd feel bad about doing it, but I need to be smart so I can continue working out.

Murph to me is never one of those workouts that you are thinking "I'm not gonna finish this." You just need to accept that it's going to take you a very long time. For me something near an hour.
  • shaypearl
    Options
    One of the gyms I attend is doing the WOD this Saturday. They will have a live DJ and it's BYOB for afterwards. The other gym I attend will be doing it on Monday and afterwards they will BBQ. Both sound like a lot of fun, but I think I'm going to go ahead and do it on Monday, lol. So instead of having my regular cheat meal on Sunday, I'll save it for Monday. That's the only thing I'm excited about, THE FOOD!
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Yes, shaypearl! I am doing a neighborhood BBQ monday night--friends are smoking brisket and ribs and I'm making mac n cheese and cookies. After an hour workout I can haz all the fooodz
  • shaypearl
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    Yes, shaypearl! I am doing a neighborhood BBQ monday night--friends are smoking brisket and ribs and I'm making mac n cheese and cookies. After an hour workout I can haz all the fooodz

That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!

• bethlivi
    Options
    My mouth is already watering.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Welp...43:31 for Rx movements and scaled reps (10 rds of Cindy instead of 20). Push-ups got really tough...and that last mile took me about 12 minutes no joke. Oh well. Haha
  • bethlivi
    Options
  • princessxmeow
    princessxmeow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Had a BLAST doing Murph today. I split it up 10:20:30 x10 and finished in 55:35
  • shaypearl
    Options
    OMG, its finally over. I scaled the workout and did 5 rounds of 20/40/60. It took me 63:07. The push-ups were brutal. It was a great group and plenty of drop ins. And of course THE FOOD. I hope everyone who did it had fun.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I probably walked half of the second run. My tank was completely empty, but I finished it in time to get into our group photo (just barely)

Don't know my exact time but it was less than an hour, so a bit better than last year. I'll take it.