The One WOD That Scares You Most

Options
We have been doing a challenge for the past month and it ends in a few weeks. Basically, its an accountable eating challenge as well as hitting benchmark WODs that the Gym has posted with the top 3 Leaders. The WODs have included: Kelly, Nancy, Fran, Diane, 7 Minutes of Burpees, 2 Mile Run, Max Front Squat and Oly Total. There are more to come, however today we do Kalsu.

100 Thrusters for time with 5 burpees EMOM RX 135/95

When I did Kalsu about 7 months ago I scaled to 65lbs and 3 burpees didn't finish under the 30 min time cap. I knew the day would come when I would have to do it again, but it literally scares me. I have had the WORST anxiety this whole "comp" knowing it was coming. I will be sticking with 65lbs and doing the prescribed 5 burpees shooting for 5 thrusters/round. More importantly, I am going to try and feel proud that I faced it no matter how badly it goes.

ANYWAY it got me thinking about which WOD you all fear most? Have any of you done Kalsu?

Replies

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That one would scare the carp out of me. Actually, I never look at the workout ahead of time because they all kind of scare me
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Omg Kalsu got me too!! I actually thought about quitting crossfit the first time I did it (and didn't finish at 65# with the 5 burpees) in a 35 minute cap and actually cried after, the one and only time I cried at crossfit. My box did a blackout week a couple of months ago and on the last day I walked in to see what workout??? You guessed it, Kalsu and I almost walked out. I did it at 65# with 5 burpees because I was still so afraid to try anything heavy and finished in 17 minutes (I obviously way over scaled the weight). I was beyond happy and now as much as I still fear it can't wait to try it rx'd! You'll be amazed at yourself today I bet so don't be too scared!! Good luck!
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Holy god that WOD would scare anyone! We don't get a lot of repeat workouts at our box, but day we redid the one from the 2014 Open with thrusters and over-the-bar burpees is burned in my mind forever. I've never felt so defeated during a WOD.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »
    Holy god that WOD would scare anyone! We don't get a lot of repeat workouts at our box, but day we redid the one from the 2014 Open with thrusters and over-the-bar burpees is burned in my mind forever. I've never felt so defeated during a WOD.

Thats my fear WOD!! The first time we did it I got halfway through and started crying and had an asthma attack for the first time since I was 12!
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So this went differently than I expected. I walked in prepared to do 65, but was really encouraged by my coach, who sees me daily, to do it RX with a 25 minute time cap. He told me to just focus on being there for 25 minutes, and that the point of this is that the weight is heavy, and 65 would just not be heavy for me anymore.

So I just went for it honestly because I didn't want to argue or go "below my skill level" because this is a competition and I don't want to feel like I sold myself short. But to be honest, it would have been nice to do the WOD at 65 to see if I could have finished 100, which I think I could have, but it would have been a different kind of WOD at that point. 95lb thrusters were HARD. In the 25 minute cap I only did 53, but I took no rounds off, which was a small victory.

Thank you to Kellyann, I read your comment before I walked into the Gym and it really helped me :)

I'm also not afraid of it anymore, I'll actually try to do it again with 65 and finish it. I'm also kind of looking forward to next year and trying to finish at 95. Someone in my class did finish in 22:03, which is just amazing to me.

14.5 is for sure one of those WOD's that get in your head big time!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    So this went differently than I expected. I walked in prepared to do 65, but was really encouraged by my coach, who sees me daily, to do it RX with a 25 minute time cap. He told me to just focus on being there for 25 minutes, and that the point of this is that the weight is heavy, and 65 would just not be heavy for me anymore.

So I just went for it honestly because I didn't want to argue or go "below my skill level" because this is a competition and I don't want to feel like I sold myself short. But to be honest, it would have been nice to do the WOD at 65 to see if I could have finished 100, which I think I could have, but it would have been a different kind of WOD at that point. 95lb thrusters were HARD. In the 25 minute cap I only did 53, but I took no rounds off, which was a small victory.

Thank you to Kellyann, I read your comment before I walked into the Gym and it really helped me :)

I'm also not afraid of it anymore, I'll actually try to do it again with 65 and finish it. I'm also kind of looking forward to next year and trying to finish at 95. Someone in my class did finish in 22:03, which is just amazing to me.

14.5 is for sure one of those WOD's that get in your head big time!

53 at 95# is awesome! Glad to hear it went well and that you've gotten over that fear! BTW I looked at your profile and other than a bit on DL's and Backsquats we're like crossfit twins! Ha-Ha

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We have been doing a challenge for the past month and it ends in a few weeks. Basically, its an accountable eating challenge as well as hitting benchmark WODs that the Gym has posted with the top 3 Leaders. The WODs have included: Kelly, Nancy, Fran, Diane, 7 Minutes of Burpees, 2 Mile Run, Max Front Squat and Oly Total. There are more to come, however today we do Kalsu.

100 Thrusters for time with 5 burpees EMOM RX 135/95

When I did Kalsu about 7 months ago I scaled to 65lbs and 3 burpees didn't finish under the 30 min time cap. I knew the day would come when I would have to do it again, but it literally scares me. I have had the WORST anxiety this whole "comp" knowing it was coming. I will be sticking with 65lbs and doing the prescribed 5 burpees shooting for 5 thrusters/round. More importantly, I am going to try and feel proud that I faced it no matter how badly it goes.

ANYWAY it got me thinking about which WOD you all fear most? Have any of you done Kalsu?

I've seen that WOD in a competition but never done it. One of our coaches almost yacked doing it and he's in tremendous shape. Given that my cardio engine needs a lot of work, I think there would be a minute about halfway through where I did no thrusters, just to catch my breath

We are starting an eating challenge June 1 and I'm already doing it just because i want to get my weight below where I started the last challenge. And I'm not stopping at the end of it unless I get underneath my "barrier" weight. I've gotten down to about 280 maybe 4 times since I started CF 2 years ago. This time I'm getting into the 270s if it kills me.

We also do two WODs at the start of the challenge and two at the end as comparisons.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Omg Kalsu got me too!! I actually thought about quitting crossfit the first time I did it (and didn't finish at 65# with the 5 burpees) in a 35 minute cap and actually cried after, the one and only time I cried at crossfit. My box did a blackout week a couple of months ago and on the last day I walked in to see what workout??? You guessed it, Kalsu and I almost walked out. I did it at 65# with 5 burpees because I was still so afraid to try anything heavy and finished in 17 minutes (I obviously way over scaled the weight). I was beyond happy and now as much as I still fear it can't wait to try it rx'd! You'll be amazed at yourself today I bet so don't be too scared!! Good luck!

Don't you hate when you do that and then immediately realize you aren't using enough weight? The first time I did Grace I did it with 95# (very early into my Crossfit days) and when it came up again I did 115# and about 5 reps in realized I should be doing RX.