Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OVERALL GOAL: Lose at least 5 lbs.

SUB-GOALS / ROAD MAP:
    - Give up soda.
    - Concentrate on getting 8+ glasses of water daily.
    - Lift 3x / week.
    - Hike / walk with Huck at least 3x / week.
    - Prepare meals / eat at home. (Not only because restaurant meals are hard to log, but because I am consistently not hitting my calorie target right now. Need to rein in all in.)
    - Write Morning Pages.

I am going to be working on making all of these things habits this month. It's not about doing every one of these things perfectly every day / week, but about getting these right most of the time (i.e. the vast majority of the time), and then building on them. I want to challenge myself, and keep myself accountable, but it also needs to be fun and stress-less.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this month's goals for a few days.

Continue:
    • My MPF streak
    • Lift 3x week. I also should lift earlier in the evening instead of 10pm. I've been lazy to get out there after dinner.
    • Deadlifts - 1x5 220lb goal

Add in:
    • Grip work! Even if I just do a bar hangs when I'm bored. Since I'm DL with straps this needs to be done!
    • Some sort of extra cardio/stretching once a week. I'd like to do more, but this is my attempt to slowly introduce it into my rotation.
    • Another attempt to do a couple BJJ sessions to get back into it.

Challenges:
    • I figure I'm close to deloading my lifts, already deloading bench. OHP is erratic and squats I've been surprised since 180lbs that I've gotten past it. Rows I don't care as long as I don't deload under 95lbs (my lightest bumpers, lol). I guess just do my best and hopefully I deload staggered as it has been challenging and more tiring since I'm been on work weight/PR on multiple lifts each session.
    • I got a 3 day conference this week - I've juggled my lifting days so I need to lift only once during those days and it'll be a hard sell to do it. I'm also going to fend for myself for food, which is tricky since I cook everything and never eat out. Last year I ended up not eating during, then pigging out after the conference, so I need to pack food/research options.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I feel like being a smart-*kitten* about these today lol.

1. Get a non-farmer's tan. I sadly have a bad start to this as I was wearing rolled up sleeves yesterday so my arms are now summer-colored, but my shoulders are still pretty white. Yeah, well, it,s a convoluted way of saying I wanna spend time outside and wear sleeveless shirts and be proud of my arms, haha. So I need to lose some weight so I don't have to flex to prove I got guns.
    2. Fit in my summer clothing from last year, which means I gotta drop around 5lbs. Oops.
    3. Get the immigration paperwork taken care of so it's out of the way and I can concentrate on other things. Like writing
    4. Eat home-made meals at least 85-90% of the time.
    5. I. Will. Get. That. Unassisted. Chin-Up.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get back in the habit of lifting.

Surpass my current weights by one increment after deloading and working back up.

Lose 4 lbs.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    - Give up soda.

want to do a bit of a goal-specific micro-buddy thing? you give up soda, i'll fight my mike and ike habit this month.

- continue planks @60sec every day
    - add at least two sets of pushups of any kind at the same time.
    - buy fruit and vegetables. if they're around i eat them, and if they're not i eat jelly beans; so.
    - i just generally need more snacky/fast-access food around here. so i'll work on being a better grocery dog.
    - i will use sunblock, all day and every day. dammit. i'm sure there were good reasons why they banned paba, but i hate these microlyzed-mineral sunblocks so much. still haven't found one that doesn't make me angry just reading their container printed with fraudulent claims. 'sweatproof! non-irritating!' my royal canadian butt. every one of them streaks, leaks, puts smears on the lower lenses of your glasses that you can't get rid of, runs into your eyes and stings them, gets in your mouth and makes you queasy, and - worst of all - floats up out of your pores as soon as you sweat and gives you a kind of nightmareish kabuki mask made out of sweaty zinc mud. and if you can't get it to stay on your skin when you need it on there, how come at the end of the day in the shower you can't get it off?

i lie. you can get it off if you scrape it off with your fingernails. but not with water or soap.
    it also needs to be fun and stress-less.

yeah; this. i'm not making numeric goals for lifting this month, but i'll just aim for continued progress. april was a really good month for me; i'll take another like that.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    In just copying my goals from the Summer challenge plus adding one
    1. Increase my squat and deadlift from 65# to 100# as long as my form is good
    2. Incorporate more of the spiritual into my whole body/kind/spirit health by meditating for 5 minutes each day.
    3. Lose the capris & free the quads!! I'm tired of wearing capri pants to hide my flabby quads and want to wear shorts and swimsuits confidently this Summer so need to lose the flab on my quads.
    4. Get barbell/plates and cage set up and start getting used to them!!

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    May Goals:

-StrongLifts 3x a week (on going goal).
    -Start tracking full body measurements (carry over from last month).
    -No more than 2 back-to-back days without some type of strength training/cardio.
    -Incorporate some type of cardio into my daily/weekly routine.
    -Now that I have my cals/macros in order, concentrate on losing weight to begin breaking down my mental wall to feel comfortable in “shorts.”
    -Not overthink things and just do!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yay goals!

Lose 3-4 lbs - aka get down to 154 as that's around the borderline between obese and overweight
    Finish C25k program
    Finish Stage 3 and do Stage 4 in NROLFW
    Get deadlift back up to 200
    Edit novel and prepare to submit query
    Read 1 book
    Pack stuff and move
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My most important goal is to get back on track and getting back to my numbers from last year (japp, didn´t do much in a while, so I hope being more active in this group again helps :-) )
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options

SUB-GOALS / ROAD MAP:
    - Give up soda.
    - Lift 3x / week.
    - Prepare meals / eat at home. (Not only because restaurant meals are hard to log, but because I am consistently not hitting my calorie target right now. Need to rein in all in.)
    - Write Morning Pages.

I am going to be working on making all of these things habits this month. It's not about doing every one of these things perfectly every day / week, but about getting these right most of the time (i.e. the vast majority of the time), and then building on them. I want to challenge myself, and keep myself accountable, but it also needs to be fun and stress-less.

Weight loss: -1.1 since May 2. :)

Week 1 Update --
    - Soda: Um, nope. Had a Coke on three different occasions. Including today when I ordered one without even really thinking about it. Which means I really need to double down and break this habit.
    - Water: Averaging 5-6. This is a great improvement.
    - Lifting / Hiking: Nope. I've been working on a writing project and put off everything else. This is not good. Not good at all.
    - Meals at home: Much better about this.
    - Morning Pages: Nope.

OK then! That's a rather terrible progress report, aside from the weight loss. Time to get it together!!!

Next week is going to be very difficult for exercise since I have about a million appointments and things to do before graduation and the arrival of my family. I will do my best, but realistically, walking Huck is much more likely to happen than hikes and the gym. :(

How is everyone else doing so far?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    How is everyone else doing so far?

well . . . i um. just did the mike and ike thing. but i rationed them out much more reasonably over the course of last week, so i consider that progress . . . for me. they just seem to contain some mysterious vitamin that my body's craving right now. probably Green Food Dye #19.

- planks still getting done. maybe not every day, but i do do them consistently. always get at least one done on the days i work out, and on about half of the days in between. now kind of working on tweaking my form doing them, since it's actually possible to do a cheat plank and i'm pretty sure that my body has figured out how.

- pushups i started out just from my knees, because i'm really trying to get my left shoulder to track properly and not let it pick up any more bad habits. kneecap bruise from my bike crash has kiboshed that until further notice. it can squat, but it can't take direct pressure on it.

- groceries, meh. seems like there's nothing in the stores interesting enough to get my attention right now. guess i'll be working on that.

- sunblock, meh too. i'm not really ready to deal with this yet.

progress is going okay, in the general sense. again, i feel like my crash put a bit of a spoke into things. overall though, i seem to be adding more weight to the lifts that i've got good form with. yay for 70lb bench presses, yo!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a nice little whoosh in my weight this week and lost almost 2 lbs, so that helps my weight loss goal for the month :P

I skipped a workout this week. I am starting 7 nights, and I was supposed to go Saturday morning after my night shift, but I was way too tired and allergies were making me want to gouge my eyes out, so I went home to bed instead.

I think I will end up ok though.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    - pushups i started out just from my knees, because i'm really trying to get my left shoulder to track properly and not let it pick up any more bad habits. kneecap bruise from my bike crash has kiboshed that until further notice. it can squat, but it can't take direct pressure on it.

Kitchen counter push-ups > push-ups on knees, anyway. ;) (They allow your body to be in a much more natural position and thus the shoulders don't get all wrong-tracked). I always found the knee push-up position awkward and hard to maintain. Doing them on an incline instead means you get to keep a strong core and work in a better angle. The other plus side is that your hands gt to grip on something, so it makes it a lot less stressful on the wrists, too. :)

My progress is hard to measure. We've hit another roadblock in the red tape and that led me to stress eating so weight has been pretty consistent (at least it's not up?). I can do a few slight jump chin or parallel grip pull-ups on my bar at home, but that's not starting from a full hang and I'm giving myself some momentum, so can't say I'm getting it. Also have a bit of tendonitis-like feeling in my left arm when I grip things so I'm trying to not aggravate that atm.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Progress so far... Well, it will get better now the cupcakes are gone at work as it was the boss man's birthday on the 5th. Though I only got one of the cupcakes I made. They were gone by the time I was back after my days off, so good to know experiment cupcakes with peeps instead of frosting baked on top went over well. Though I haven't quite determined when the proper day is to panic cause I'm moving and haven't started packing yet.

Weight? 157 so far. C25k? 1 week left. NROLFW? Finished stage 3 last night, will start stage 3 on Tuesday. Deadlift? I added it to day B and struggling to the point 175 was almost too heavy. Novel, query, read? nope. Pack stuff and move? hahahaha... umm I should do that some day. I'm working 6 days a week so this will be interesting.

As for push ups:

I never could do the push ups on my knees. Nothing about me is long or tall but my stomach is round, so when I try, my stomach just ends up on the floor before I've done much. I finally had to set up a step to get an angle I could do push ups on in the Grit Strength class because the main options were floor or wall and the wall is too easy plus it is a mirror so didn't like putting hand marks on it.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i'm really not motivated enough to keep consistent food logs anymore. but i am going to try something similar this month. in the goals console on mfp, you can create your own metrics to track or rename existing ones. and then you can look at them on a graph.

so i've made a metric for each of the lifts, and i'm going to try be consistent about logging them. i'm diong it because i have no realistic idea whether i'm going forwards, backwards or round in circles with this, over a wider time frame.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Panic! I mean, umm, update. Yeah, that's what I mean.

Lose 3-4 lbs (get to 154) - almost there. Right now I'm at 155. So close to overweight, yay!
    Finish C25k program - already accomplished. Now I'm adding a little to the longer jogs each week.
    Finish Stage 3 and do Stage 4 in NROLFW - I did A3 of Stage 4 last night.
    Get deadlift back up to 200 - not so much. 185 and 175 felt heavy when I did them.
    Edit novel and prepare to submit query - no progress
    Read 1 book - nope, ended up returning it to library unread except 3 chapters.
    Pack stuff and move - In progress but slight panic. I have a few boxes done so far and I set up a cancel date for my internet. Still have a lot to do. My mom will be here in 4 days, which also means I will be on the couch during the move and such. Fun times.

Some progress and some stalls. Still have time to get stuff done but so much to do.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options

SUB-GOALS / ROAD MAP:
    - Give up soda.
    - Lift 3x / week.
    - Write Morning Pages.

Weight loss: -1.4 since May 2.
    - I don't think my goal of losing 5 lbs. in May is possible at this point. But I can probably get to -2.5 lbs. if I'm vigilant about my calories and step it up with my activity levels. So that's the new plan!

WEEK 3 UPDATE:
    - Soda -- I can't lie. I've definitely been drinking Coke these past few weeks. But what I had in the house is gone and I won't be buying anymore. It's definitely a crutch I use when I'm tired and stressed, and now that school is done and my other writing project is 98% finished, I'm done.

- Water -- Doing much better here. I'd guess I'm averaging six glasses a day so far. I knew this wouldn't be an immediate change, so I'm pleased with my progress so far. I think I'll definitely get to the full eight on a regular basis by the end of the month.

- Lifting / Walks / Hiking -- I've been struggling here too. The craziness of the end of school, graduation, family in town, and the book chapter meant this got pushed aside. I finally made it back to the gym on Wednesday, and I'm committed to getting back to my regular 3x / week schedule. I've done a little better with the walks / hiking with Huck, but need to get that locked down as well. The cooler weather has been a bummer, but it's not an excuse not to go.

- Eat at home -- Better on this one, though of course there have been some meals out. Overall, I'm happy with this one.

- Morning Pages -- This has been a struggle due to other time commitments. Need to re-focus here.

So, all in all, not a great three weeks for me, but I knew they would be difficult given everything I had going on. But feeling like I am finally ready to get back to real life, which means making these things a priority.

Hope you're all doing well.

xo,
    C.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Panic! I mean, umm, update.

lol. yeah, update.

- mike and ikes, not tooooo bad. thanks to @crabada for buddying.
    - sunblock, done. i bought some but i'm not using it much yet. meant to be a 'light' lotion but it's still too goopy.
    - groceries . . . gmfmfnyeh. not so much, though the food that i've eaten has all been real food.
    - pushups and planks started out well, but not really consistent this month.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    - mike and ikes, not tooooo bad. thanks to @crabada for buddying.

I've been remiss in my buddy duties. I'll get back on track with this, I promise. xo

• canadianlbs
    Options
    month-end retrospective. and can i just say, i really like this monthly-goal thing.

with that said though most of what i planned on didn't get done, or stopped getting done in the second half of the month. because curveballs and crashes and things like that. no planks or pushups for instance. i did semi-conscientious logging of food, which was all i really want to get involved in. definitely ate some fruit of some kind at some point . . . and not nearly as many mike and ike beans.

lifting-wise, i'm pretty happy. bench is up 5 pounds, rows up at least 10; squats took a bit of a dive but came back, deadlift has been progressing . . . and then there's the 50lb overhead press.