Hi everyone, I'm new here

Options
tiamia83
tiamia83 Posts: 3 Member
Hi all my name is Tia and I just started my weight lose journey last Sunday , it's gonna be a long one but I'm ready, I started at 371 which is my heaviest ever, I can't believe I let myself get that big. Well I'm slowly changing that I started nutrisystem and right now I'm 359 so I'm moving in the right direction. I so need to do this not only for myself but for my family, I have 2 kids and if want to be around to see them grow up and be active with them.So if anyone wants to be friends you can add me I'd love to make some new friends.

Replies

• melissasue0317
    melissasue0317 Posts: 338 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Welcome! This journey we are on is definitely the hardest thing you'll do. But you can do it!

About me, I'm Melissa and live in Tennessee, US. I am 31 and married with 2 year old twins (Sadie and Jack) I started my journey in September 2013 at 320lbs. My babies were 6 months old and I realized that if I stayed at that weight I would not live to see them marry one day. I signed up for weight watchers at work that next week. Continued with WW for about 6-7 months and have continued on my own. I am currently at 198.5lbs. I truly did not expect to be successful, but I knew I needed to try my best.

My best advice is:
    1. to stay the course even when you mess up, because you will. Its life and you need to enjoy every second.
    2. Don't make a lot of changes too quickly. I have noticed with myself if I get all crazy and strict, I will self sabotage.

You will see here that we all are fairly open and honest with ourselves. Support is huge. But we all have bad days and then we try to come back kicking butt.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    hey Tia. I'm Cari from Wilmington, DE, USA... I'm 42..single, never married and have only one fur child. Never wanted children of my own. I just started dating a new man named Reggie. I've had all 3 weight loss surgeries. Band, sleeve and bypass. The band made me really sick, with the sleeve, I lost about 50, gained back 10, and with bypass (Jan 2015), I've lost 46 so far. I'm losing very slowly which is very depressing and hard to cope with. But then I think, where would I be without the surgery. I probably would have gained everything back I lost plus some.

We here are a great bunch of friends. Join in.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tia. Im Lise, Im 35 from the UK. I started at 270 and am currently 220. Two kids aged 4 and 6. Doing it the long slow way but getting there gradually
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hello Tia, I am Laura age 34 from UK. I started at 322 and am now 294 last I checked. It has been a very bumpy road with lots of back slides for me but I keep picking myself up, re evaluating things and putting plan B,C,D............Z2.1 etc in to action. If I just refuse to give up then I believe I can achieve a far healthier me. It is a long learning journey but finding what individually works is very satisfying and spurs me on.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As a child of a family member who lost weight and got heart healthy for us (my brothers birthday gift) all I can say is thank you. It's a good gift to give.

Anywho, welcome and I hope you have a good journey. Most of us are or were in the same boat so your not alone. I started at 328 (if i remember correctly) and am now 206, that was 416 days ago. So a lot can change for you.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Tia!
    I'm Wendy,39 year old stay at home mom of 5 boys from WI. I started officially at 292 but recently found medical records of 298. That was a year ago in March. Now I am down to 172. This isn't easy and there will be times you want to quit. DON'T. Even if the scale isn't moving you are still getting healthier. My best advice is to find something that is physical that you enjoy. Biking, walking, swimming, playing catch with the kids etc. Start slow and work your way up. I wish you the best on this journey. We all tend to share a lot in this forum and I hope to hear more from you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Greetings, Tia. I'm Carly, 38 divorced, mom of 1 (whom due to circumstances is no longer in my life - she'll be 15 later this year). I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend of almost 3 years who was one of those "barely missed each other" situations in high school. It's great to finally feel some happiness again.

I am 5'4" tall, and started at 319, though from the pictures I can find, I looked 50 pounds heavier at around 280 because of what I was eating was causing horrible inflammation. I am now down to 240 pounds, though this has been 5+ years in the making for me. 1 Year ago this past February I was 272, and this January, I reevaluated my entire health and eating plans, I weighed 262.

My best advice for you, aside from EVERY SINGLE THING EVERYONE SAID ABOVE IS THIS:

As you get healthier, all the patches your body had placed on your problem areas at your heaviest weights will shift, change, and not fit any longer. You may uncover many health issues that you were previously unaware of due to the compensation your body was doing for you. You won't be less healthy. You may have to take more medications as you pass on this journey. You may uncover more issues than you ever dreamed or had nightmares that existed, but as my good friend @RatPat13 explained to me at one point, I've been driving this body (car) around for so long without caring for it (washing the mud off, etc) that now that I'm finally treating (washing the mud off) everything, I can see the long term damage I've done.

The payoff in overall health is worth treating any of the underlying issues, but they can all be very demoralizing...so just remember to keep perspective, to keep it all in stride, because you will get some sucker punches done to you, but you're also strong enough to keep fighting, or you'd have never made it here in the first place!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Greetings, Tia. I'm Carly, 38 divorced, mom of 1 (whom due to circumstances is no longer in my life - she'll be 15 later this year). I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend of almost 3 years who was one of those "barely missed each other" situations in high school. It's great to finally feel some happiness again.

I am 5'4" tall, and started at 319, though from the pictures I can find, I looked 50 pounds heavier at around 280 because of what I was eating was causing horrible inflammation. I am now down to 240 pounds, though this has been 5+ years in the making for me. 1 Year ago this past February I was 272, and this January, I reevaluated my entire health and eating plans, I weighed 262.

My best advice for you, aside from EVERY SINGLE THING EVERYONE SAID ABOVE IS THIS:

As you get healthier, all the patches your body had placed on your problem areas at your heaviest weights will shift, change, and not fit any longer. You may uncover many health issues that you were previously unaware of due to the compensation your body was doing for you. You won't be less healthy. You may have to take more medications as you pass on this journey. You may uncover more issues than you ever dreamed or had nightmares that existed, but as my good friend @RatPat13 explained to me at one point, I've been driving this body (car) around for so long without caring for it (washing the mud off, etc) that now that I'm finally treating (washing the mud off) everything, I can see the long term damage I've done.

The payoff in overall health is worth treating any of the underlying issues, but they can all be very demoralizing...so just remember to keep perspective, to keep it all in stride, because you will get some sucker punches done to you, but you're also strong enough to keep fighting, or you'd have never made it here in the first place!

So many likes for this