coaching .. thoughts?

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
So ... I inadvertently having been running our Smash Out Sunday bootcamp classes. It's an informal 1.5hr session that any member can come to and do your own thing - practice whatever skill you like. We are lucky in that we have 2 x large rooms so I've used one room to do bootcamp type classes with whoever wants to join in. I've ended up running the last few months only because I am consistently there and manage to round up a crew to join me. I usually do an EMOM circuit class. Basic movements but hard core cardio.

So yesterday my coach asked me if I had considered doing the L1 course.
I'm tempted because I love to motivate people around me and I've had enough coaches to know what makes a good / bad coach.

My only issue is that while I can master most movements, I'm not very good at some (snatches/MU). I believe a good coach, as well as being a good motivator should also know movement standards ... so how can I coach a burly 25 year old doing a 50kg snatch if I myself can't even do it? How can I explain a MU to someone who could easily learn to do one, if I haven't mastered it (and could never hope to).

I realise I would never be able to make a living out of it, so it wouldn't be for the money. But on the other hand, I know I am good at picking up what motivates each individual and I'd love to be able to be part of that.
Thoughts?

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    First off, that's awesome they've identified you as coach material!!! Second, I think learning movement standards and being able to teach them is key--even if you are still learning yourself! A few of our coaches are elite (one just finished 8th in the east regional today) but some are more beginners. And I learn something new from all of them! Sometimes I like when the one woman coach who can't do muscle ups teaches us because she is as hungry as we are to get one. So I know she's going to be seeking out and sharing all the knowledge and tips she can. Everyone has something to add imo. :-)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Greg Glassman can't do any of the movements. So if he held himself to your standard, Crossfit wouldn't exist.

I say go for it. As long as you are straightforward with people they'll be fine, and it sounds like there are other coaches available if they want a demonstration of some of the movements you haven't yet mastered.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone above. Go for it!
    on the muscle ups you can show technique on something like rings that are hung for ring rows. Actually makes it easier as people can watch you more closely, instead of flying through the air... our coach does that mostly just to breakdown the parts of it more easily.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you need to be able to do all of the movements to coach. You’re part of a team of coaches. A 25 year old who wants to master muscle ups can work with one of the coaches that can do it. Then you’ll be able to critique their movement after they get going.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I gotta reiterate what's been said. Sometimes the best teachers are those who have struggled and understand. The best athletes rarely make for good coaches. What you might lack in specific experience in one or two movements, you probably will more than make up for in understanding the process of working, working through, and succeeding with effort.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any replies, but when I took my L1 I was very new to crossfit and couldn't get a lot of stuff at the time (MU, etc) and my lifts were weak. What matters more is that you learn how *to coach others* how to do those movements. I agree a coach should have great technique, especially when it comes to the oly lifts, but that doesn't mean you need to have a heavy lift to do it. How often are you going to need to demo a muscle up? I've had my muscle ups now for over a year and I can tell you I've never really needed to demo one. Because when you're coaching them, and 99% of other movements, you're breaking the movement down into a bunch of smaller movements. You will learn what you need to learn to be a decent coach at your class. That's what's important. Everything else is small details that will come with time
  • thoseAmericanthighs
    thoseAmericanthighs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check out Steph "the Hammer" Hammerman. She can't do most movements unless modified since she has Cerebral Palsy, but she is a darn good coach.

I know plenty who can do the movements but would be horrible coaches, and then the complete opposite of that, people who can't do them but know exactly what to say to make it click in another persons head for them to get it.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Check out Steph "the Hammer" Hammerman. She can't do most movements unless modified since she has Cerebral Palsy, but she is a darn good coach.

I know plenty who can do the movements but would be horrible coaches, and then the complete opposite of that, people who can't do them but know exactly what to say to make it click in another persons head for them to get it.

all of this!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    One of our athletes took the L1 this weekend (with Austin Malleolo) and he just came off knee surgery and can do nothing heavy or with impact on his knees. I'm sure he passed with flying colors.