Fitbit Flex strap woes

Options
Why, WHY are the straps so rubbish? They always break at the junction between the clear plastic screen and the rubber strap. I'm not handling it roughly, but they just don't last well. I can buy straps of ebay (and I have as a backup) but they have the exact same issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I went through many Fitbit Flex straps, one of the reasons I usually wear the Charge HR now. I took it back to the Apple store where I purchased it (twice) to get free replacement bands and thereafter purchased bands on Amazon. They all fail at the screen joint. I don't think there is a solution except to be as gentle as possible removing the Fitbit core for charging and have extra bands on hand.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My first Flex band failed because I was wearing it too tightly. You're supposed to wear it loosely enough to allow air circulation.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Huh, my first one actually ripped around where the Fitbit slips in. Luckily it was right when I could go from the large to the small band, so I didn't need to shell out any money for it.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mine did not fail because I wore them tight. In fact, I liked them looser. The strap defect is known to Fitbit. The Flex must be, well, ... flexed right at its weakest point to slip the element into the strap. That's the problem. Treat it very gently and they will last longer.
  • mindcontrolcandy
    mindcontrolcandy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've repaired one with plastic adhesive but looking at the strap I think the screen joint needs to be bigger. It's such a small ridge to take all the strains of getting the unit in and out.

I'm tempted to see if there's a leather strap for it. I think that might hold up better.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Huh, my first one actually ripped around where the Fitbit slips in. Luckily it was right when I could go from the large to the small band, so I didn't need to shell out any money for it.

Mine did something similar. I contacted FitBit customer service and they sent me a new band of the same size and color, right away, no questions asked. They were great about it, actually. May only work if yours is under warranty, but definitely worth a try. Disclaimer that I don't know what they do for customers outside the US.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any trouble with the band breaking or ripping. My problem has been the slot the Fitbit goes into gets stretched out and bulges. It took close to a year though. I suspect everyone will have different "issues" with the bands depending on which size you use, how big or small your wrist is, how often you take it on and off, and what environmental conditions you live in (like humidity). Sorry you are having so many problems with them :frowning:
  • nailgalwalks
    nailgalwalks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my Flex since April & have had no problems at all. I have even pruched a couple bands with designs off Amazon & have had no problem. I wear mine 24/7, only taking it off to clean or change bands. And my hands are moving a lot. I work with my hands .
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    You can buy a clip off Amazon and insert the tracker into it and eliminate the wrist strap entirely. There are a few different ones on Amazon; I bought this one this morning: http://www.amazon.com/Tracker-Clip-Fitbit-One-Flex/dp/B00U6MM2IU/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BXVETTTWKFDHA6C9WC3
  • Patsalmer
    Patsalmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've had .one since April and so far no problems. I also wear it 24/7, only remove it to charge. I also bought the cheap color ones off amazon, and have been exchanging my fitbit into them when my original color just doesn't go with what I'm wearing... They are a little smaller than the original but I have not had any issues with them or the original...YET.....
    My only complaint is that neither the original nor the cheap ones are waterproof....