Which calorie goal do you go by?

Options
Msmeganrock
Msmeganrock Posts: 10 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Hi everyone! My name is Megan. I've been using MFP for a while now, and decided to try out the 21 day fix to boost my results and get my nutrition under control.

I was wondering... do you go by your MFP determined calorie goal or the calorie goal as calculated by the formula given in the 21 day fix literature?

My daily calorie goal on MFP is 1490. When I used the formula to calculate what my 21 day fix portions should be, I ended up in the 2,200 cal/day category. I decided to just eat out of the 1200-1400 calorie category on 21 day fix. Today I tracked everything I ate (and used all of my containers), and only clocked in at 1,000 calories. With a workout that burned 200 calories (upper body fix) that brings me down to about 800. I don't feel like that's enough food, especially because I will be doing my regular workouts on M/W/F in addition to the fix workouts.

So what do you guys do?

Replies

• dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Stick to the bracket they give you!!

I am in the 1,209-1,499 bracket. But I also track calories on mfp. I can range between 1,000 and 1,450 depending on the day and what I eat. It all evens out and it works. You need to eat the proper nutrients to fuel your body. If you don't eat enough it's not going to work. You need to think of it as a lifestyle change and not just to drop weight. You'll be amazed in a few weeks how good you feel from eating a well balanced clean diet.
  • Msmeganrock
    Options
    I'm just afraid that if I go up to 2,000 cal I'll gain. I've been losing 1/2 lb-2lb a week at 1490 (although to be fair I pretty much do whatever I want on the weekends, hence doing a nutritional jump start).
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Exactly, if you follow it everyday it will all even out.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    If you have been losing at what you are currently eating, stick with that. Only reevaluate or increase if you are not losing weight

I do not follow the program's diet or take Shakeology. I use a spreadsheet that another MFP user created which allows me to input how much a week I work out, the type of activities I do, etc. My current goal is to eat 2000 ish but I often eat 1400-1700. I go over 2000 once a week or so just to trick the body
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stick to what is working for you right now. I too should be in the 2000 cal range but eat at the 1200-1400 cal range. So far it has been working for me. Once it stops working then I will evaluate things and go from there.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 1800-2100 range. My first week I stayed at 1800/day and lost 2.8. My second week I was pretty hungry and bumped up to 2200/day on average and lost 0.6.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to lose faster and feel hungry or lose VERY slowly and feel satisfied. I have 25 pounds to lose before I reach goal.
  • Msmeganrock
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    I'm in the 1800-2100 range. My first week I stayed at 1800/day and lost 2.8. My second week I was pretty hungry and bumped up to 2200/day on average and lost 0.6.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to lose faster and feel hungry or lose VERY slowly and feel satisfied. I have 25 pounds to lose before I reach goal.

For the past year I have taken the lose slowly and not be starving route and it's frustrating that it's taken me a year to lose just under 30 lbs, however my reasoning was that I want to do something that is going to be sustainable long term. For what it's worth :)

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Msmeganrock! It feels better knowing there are other people taking it slowly.

Over the past few days, I've been eating at maintenance and weighing in daily....silly. Maybe on these holiday weekends I'll eat at maintenance and other times, eat at a slight deficit. As long as I'm not gaining consistently, I'll be happy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Megan. I've been using MFP for a while now, and decided to try out the 21 day fix to boost my results and get my nutrition under control.

I was wondering... do you go by your MFP determined calorie goal or the calorie goal as calculated by the formula given in the 21 day fix literature?

My daily calorie goal on MFP is 1490. When I used the formula to calculate what my 21 day fix portions should be, I ended up in the 2,200 cal/day category. I decided to just eat out of the 1200-1400 calorie category on 21 day fix. Today I tracked everything I ate (and used all of my containers), and only clocked in at 1,000 calories. With a workout that burned 200 calories (upper body fix) that brings me down to about 800. I don't feel like that's enough food, especially because I will be doing my regular workouts on M/W/F in addition to the fix workouts.

So what do you guys do?

I would bump it up to the next catagory. Sometimes it's actually better to eat a little more!

About 18 months ago I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day, and the scale was stuck. My trainer (who sees me workout 5 days a week) asked me to bump my calories up to 2200-2400 for a few weeks. Amazingly enough, the scale started moving the right direction!

'Starvation mode' gets thrown around alot here...from what I have learned, you CAN damage your metabolism by continuously under fueling your body. If your BMR is 1500, but you regularly only eat 1200, your body slows down to accommodate that. Then you eat a little less because the scale isn't moving, so your body slows down more...see where I'm going?

My BMR is roughly 1900. Yesterday I burned 600 calories in the gym...I ate in the
    1800-2100 calorie bracket. It was all I could do to get that 5th meal in...
  • nables73
    nables73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

So what do you guys do?

I would bump it up to the next catagory. Sometimes it's actually better to eat a little more!

About 18 months ago I was eating 1600-1800 calories a day, and the scale was stuck. My trainer (who sees me workout 5 days a week) asked me to bump my calories up to 2200-2400 for a few weeks. Amazingly enough, the scale started moving the right direction!

'Starvation mode' gets thrown around alot here...from what I have learned, you CAN damage your metabolism by continuously under fueling your body. If your BMR is 1500, but you regularly only eat 1200, your body slows down to accommodate that. Then you eat a little less because the scale isn't moving, so your body slows down more...see where I'm going?

My BMR is roughly 1900. Yesterday I burned 600 calories in the gym...I ate in the
    1800-2100 calorie bracket. It was all I could do to get that 5th meal in...

Very useful information and explained so well! Thanks!!