Question from a newbie

Options
DeannaSofia886
DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
Hi everyone - I am just starting my 21 day fix. I have been doing atkins for the last month and lost ten lbs but got very sick and had to stop. I do have one question - I am a nurse and am usually eating quickly at lunch time - wondering if things like lean cuisines are allowed? And how I would count like a lean cuisine pizza? I appreciate the help!

Replies

• dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would advise against prepackaged meals because you can't account for the ingredients or the portion sizes for each food group. Is it 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green? 1/2 red, 2 yellow, 2 blue, 1.5 green? 21DF is all about learning how to eat within according the the right portions. I would just take the time to plan out simple quick to prepare meals and take them with you. For example, this is a simple lunch that I prepare:

1 grilled boneless skinless chicken thigh: 1 red
    Roasted red potatoes (cut into quarters, tossed in salt, pepper, dried herbs and olive oil, back at 400 deg until soft): 1 yellow and 1 orange
    Steamed veggies: 1 green
    Fruit: 1 purple
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Not approved. The whole point is to eat a cleaner less processed diet. The sodium and junk in those meals are not good.
  • DeannaSofia886
    DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Gotcha! THanks Guys!
  • kathymford
    kathymford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @DeannaSofia886 I'm in the same boat as you. That was my go-to "healthy" meal at work. Not a lot of cooking going on around here. I have to admit, it's tough. But I am only on Day2!
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Get a store bought rotisserie chicken and shred that up. Grab some frozen veggies. Measure it out and you have a meal. I also will make some brown rice and quinoa in advance and freeze them in single serving bags, add that to the meal too!
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a silicone dish that I can put in the microwave to steam my meat and veggies. Depending on how big the piece of meat is it only takes about 5 minutes and then I have a healthy lunch. Best thing I ever got. I put everything in it frozen. Like everyone else says planning is the key. You will figure it out.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This "clean" eating requires meal prep. So pick a day that works for you and cook up some rice, chicken, add some black beans, salt, pepper to taste. All you have to do is warm it up. It's better for you than any pre-packaged no cooking involved meal will ever be.
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I like that this will get you to try new foods..today was my first day ever to try quinoa (after reading about it in this group). I have to say ....I really like it :) I'm so happy to have found something else good for me.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    pizza is allowed
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    That's great, @germany03 ! Funny, my daughter asked me last night "don't you ever get sick of quinoa?" Nope! I love it and love that it has protein. Enjoy!
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I bought a small box of quinoa but havent made it yet. Anything special I need to add to it? Can I eat it plain?
  • germany03
    germany03 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Lauracharder I bought a box of olive oil and Rose Mary (the one I made and love) and a small box of plain as well. I plan on seasoning mine with different herbs, maybe shallots ...ooh and mushrooms...um getting exited to go and cook some just thinking about it..haha. seems like a grain that will take on flavoring from what you add to it quickly. JP any faves of cooking quinoa ?
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    @Lauracharder I make my quinoa in fat free low sodium chicken broth to give it a little taste. I don't need anything on it after cooking.

One note, if it tastes a little bitter after cooking, put it in a strainer and rinse with hot water. Some do, some don't. I normally buy Trader Joes and it doesn't need rinsing but I've had some that did.

Enjoy!!! Quinoa is my favorite yellow!
  • kathymford
    kathymford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @jpkrueger which TJs one do you get? I've never had quinoa so I'm a little lost.
  • jpkrueger
    Options
    It's called organic white quinoa.