fitbit and calories adjustment

Options
Hi guys,
I introduce myself first. I'm Nicola from Italy and i'm here for my love for fitness.
I recently bought a fitbit charge hr and i'm pretty happy about calories burn, hr and hours of sleep informations provided.
But there's something i don't understand.
In the recent past, while i was using MFP with just the pedometer of my iphone 6, I was used to see my calories goal for the day increase thanks to the steps i was taking. But since i've connected my fitbit this just don't happen anymore.
I'd like to see this in MFP diary: calories set for the day (set by me) + calories earned by excercise - calories eaten (like i was used with iphone pedometer). At the end of the day it'll be tdee- calories eaten.
Is that possible?
My goal is to eat more than my metabolism but less than tdee, so i can lose fat and minimize muscle loss.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see this in MFP diary: calories set for the day (set by me) + calories earned by excercise - calories eaten (like i was used with iphone pedometer). At the end of the day it'll be tdee- calories eaten.
    Is that possible?

That is how it works. If your adjustments are zero, it means you've burned fewer calories than your MFP activity level. (Click on any adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.)

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That should be what is happening - are you sure you have connected the charge to MFP correctly?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Then on your iPhone go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.
  • nicolamichielon
    nicolamichielon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Then on your iPhone go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

I've done that, but for example, yesterday I played tennis and walked.
    My tdee in Fitbit app was app. 3000 cal, in MFP diary I had 2130 (set by me) + 330= 2460.
    That to me does not make sense.
    Just playing tennis I burned 600 cal app.
    Is there something I'm missing?
  • nicolamichielon
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Is that possible?

That is how it works. If your adjustments are zero, it means you've burned fewer calories than your MFP activity level. (Click on any adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.)

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    Done that!
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They are working correctly.

Fitbit monitored your activity for the day and it determined that yesterday you burned a total of 3000 calories.

Looking at your numbers you seem to have told MFP that you want to lose 1lb a week. So MFP was expecting you to burn 2130 calories + the 500 deficit you have it set too - so MFP's expected burn for the day was a total of 2630.

You were more active than MFP was expecting - and so it gave you an adjustment for how much more activity you did over the entire day - not just for the time you were exercising.

MFP's expected burn of 2630 + 330 (the adjustment) comes in at 2960 calories total - which is very close to the 3000 calorie burn fitbit saw!
  • nicolamichielon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    They are working correctly.

Fitbit monitored your activity for the day and it determined that yesterday you burned a total of 3000 calories.

Looking at your numbers you seem to have told MFP that you want to lose 1lb a week. So MFP was expecting you to burn 2130 calories + the 500 deficit you have it set too - so MFP's expected burn for the day was a total of 2630.

You were more active than MFP was expecting - and so it gave you an adjustment for how much more activity you did over the entire day - not just for the time you were exercising.

MFP's expected burn of 2630 + 330 (the adjustment) comes in at 2960 calories total - which is very close to the 3000 calorie burn fitbit saw!

Everything is more clear now!!!
    Thanks a lot guys. I did not take under consideration my 0,5 kg (~1lb) of fat loss goal per week.
    I really appreciate your help.
  • cenandra
    cenandra Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I love this feature!!