Baking with Protein Powder or Fiber

Options
pattyperkins927
pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
OK, have any of you tried cooking with the Quest Protein Powder yet? (or any other protein powder for that matter)? I know I have read that the Quest version is supposed to be one of the best to try to bake with which is why I threw out that brand name. I made one of the muffin recipes from one of the Marlene Koch books today, and they came out WONDERFULLY. Other than the fact that the didn't really brown on the tops, I would never guess they were low fat/low cal/low sugar. That said though, each one only has 2 fiber and 5 protein (in comparison to say the NS Blueberry muffin which has 6 fiber and 7 protein. I'm thinking with some modification, we should be able to up that protein and fiber a bit, and they would MORE than rival the NS versions --- I just wondered if anyone has tried to go there yet.

Replies

• Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have not, patty.

Would you mind posting the recipe?? Sounds very good and promising.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Would be happy to post the recipe, but unsure if that would get me into copyright trouble? Does anyone know the answer to that one?

I did take a pic of one of the muffins though :)

4tia2laq0i0h.jpg
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As long as you give them credit for the recipe you are just sharing the recipe not saying it is 'your' creation ...you can share the recipe
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Probably best not to post the recipe, patty, just to be on safe side. Some places require written and/or verbal permission. I should not have asked you to post that.

This is so pretty and very appetizing.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    OK, throwing a little caution to the wind and totally giving credit for Marlene Koch here!!!. This recipe came so close on the macros I would aspire to, I think I'm going to try it again and next time swap out some of the flour for different flours, as well as incorporate some protein powder to up the protein and fiber content and see if I can get it to taste this good.

The original recipe was entitled Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins, but I made the Lemon-Blueberry version, so that's what I'll put here. The only difference is swapping out the blueberries for the raspberries, and adding some lemon zest.

3 Tbsp butter or margarine
    1/2 cup tub-style whipped reduced fat cream cheese
    3 Tbsp granulated sugar
    1 cup granulated no-calorie sweetener (I used Apriva [sucralose])
    2 large egg whites
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 tsp almond extract
    3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp lemon zest
    1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat over to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray (paper or foil liners can be added before spraying).

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the margarine and cream cheese until light and creamy (about 3 minutes). Add the sugar and sweetener and beat to incorporate. Add egg whiles, and then the whole egg, beating after each addition until creamy. Beat in the vanilla, almond extract, and buttermilk.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Remove 1 Tbsp of the flour mixture and toss it with the berries to lightly coat. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the creamed mixture. Using a large spoon or spatula, stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins, filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake for 17 to 19 minutes, or under the center springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

Note says that if you are going to use Splenda, cut the amount of no-calorie sweetener 1/2.
    My note -- the tops really aren't going to brown. I took mine out at 19 minutes (and my oven is a little cool) when they passed the toothpick test.
  • pattyperkins927
    Options
    Ok, my scientific kitchen has new results. I made another batch (had to use up the rest of the blueberries anyway), so this time I upped the buttermilk to 1 cup instead of 3/4, changed the AP flour to 3/4 cup, added 3/4 cup coconut flour, and 2 scoops (approx 1/4 cup) of EAS Complete Protein Powder - vanilla. They came out looking alot more dry (maybe even a tad more buttermilk next time). BUT they taste great and they really aren't dry and 'biscuit like' as they appear. AND I have the fiber up to 4 and the protein up to 7 per muffin. They are a little higher in sodium than NS though, but otherwise a pretty good substitute :) The coconut flour does give them a little coconut flavor undertone, but I like it. I could easily eat these for breakfast.

4cjnym8zgy86.jpg
  • Determined_Missy
    Determined_Missy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!!