weight loss uneven on body

Options
goodlife1206
goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
While I have lost about 70#, my legs and calves have not reduced as much as expected. When I went for my 6 month checkup I had lost only a couple percent of lean body mass thru the weight loss. I also have a spare tire around my waist when sitting. Do these areas keep reducing as time goes on. I have some loose skin, but I can live with that. Overall, I am very happy with my results. I do walk and run several times a week and wonder if that is why my calves haven't gotten smaller. Any thoughts?

Replies

• mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on how you carry weight. I have always been the "evenly distributed" type with bootylicious legs. Because of this the 65 lbs I have lost has come from all over but those spots I gained last (arms/waist) were the first to go. I am sure as you get smaller all parts will get smaller too.

Embrace your shape. I think it's great you have had minimal muscle wasting. Muscle burns more calls at rest than any other tissue. Also I read an article that basically said that running is one of the best exercises for lean legs because it is mostly cardio so I wouldn't worry. Exercises with a "pump" mechanism supposedly build muscle (think rowing, squats, lunges in tennis, biking hills etc). Ultimately the key to being healthy is moving, so keep doing what you do if you like it!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There are specific exercises that target specific muscles. I was under the illusion that because I was walking almost 5 miles a day I had built up the leg muscles. Wrong! I recently joined a gym and they have developed a program to firm up and build up my problem areas. I learned the first day that my legs were not strong like I thought because walking only works a certain set of muscles. Now that Im working all the muscle groups I can really feel the difference. If you cannot get involved with a gym, go on line. There are tons of exercise programs. UTube and Pinterest are great too. My Doc stresses strength traing as a very important part of this journey.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My problem area has always been my middle, and it still is. I think exercise in general will help you lose weight all over your body. I am working on extra toning for my problem area.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    OP, I hear you on that!
    I have also talked in peoples (online) ears about my "spare" tire :neutral:
    I have lost starting from my face/shoulders/chest, totally skipped my middle and went to my wrists/fingers and feet.
    I keep expressing "I have more than enough to give, it doesn't have to take it all from only certain parts of me" lol!
    If I was sitting behind a 1/2 wall and you were only able to see the top part of me, you might say "wow, she's lost weight!"
    If you came around to the other side of that wall, youd see the rest of me :cry:
    Im having problems w/ my tops.
    They wont hardly stay on my shoulders but I cant get rid of them because theyre the only things that still fit me around my mid section....ugh!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've lost in my boobs, fingers, feet and butt --- I mean...really?? Wish I could redistribute!! :smiley:
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've lost in my boobs, fingers, feet and butt --- I mean...really?? Wish I could redistribute!! :smiley:

I'd be down for taking the rest of my spare tire and reflating my boobs.

I keep saying my collarbones are thin enough! And when people tell me I lost enough, I just place a hand on my tummy, and say thanks, I only have a few more pounds to my goal.

My husband has reminded me that I'm almost 40 and have 2 kids, so my stomach is allowed a little pooch. Nice of him, but I'd like little, not medium pooch. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My shoulders were always smaller and now that I'm down 164, the collar bones are very prominent. My stomach is flatter, but the overhang is still there. The upper arms look like under inflated balloons and my thighs are much smaller, but still holding a lot of excess skin and flab. They actually undulate when I walk. Even my behind has flattened out but due to the excess skin on my hips, is still wider than I want it to be. So am I happy with the naked me? NO. But I look so much better in clothes and I feel 1,000 times better! I am helathy and mobile. So I will live with the issues of excess skin and a torso that's smaller in size than the upper arms and thighs. But like others here, I would love to be able to redistribute and reinflate my boobs. ;)
  • chip305
    chip305 Posts: 63 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    My shoulders were always smaller and now that I'm down 164, the collar bones are very prominent. My stomach is flatter, but the overhang is still there. The upper arms look like under inflated balloons and my thighs are much smaller, but still holding a lot of excess skin and flab. They actually undulate when I walk. Even my behind has flattened out but due to the excess skin on my hips, is still wider than I want it to be. So am I happy with the naked me? NO. But I look so much better in clothes and I feel 1,000 times better! I am helathy and mobile. So I will live with the issues of excess skin and a torso that's smaller in size than the upper arms and thighs. But like others here, I would love to be able to redistribute and reinflate my boobs. ;)

This, Exactly!! Feel better, look good in clothes and healthier, not gonna sweat the other stuff!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    People come in all shapes and sizes, WLS or not. You can't spot reduce.

But, in the first year or so after you're done losing, things do shift around. Your face and neck fill in a little, and things stick out less in other spots.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    People come in all shapes and sizes, WLS or not. You can't spot reduce.

But, in the first year or so after you're done losing, things do shift around. Your face and neck fill in a little, and things stick out less in other spots.

Interesting grim_traveler. I've been stuck for almost a year now, so maybe I'm done losing. If so, it will be interesting to see if this becomes true for me! Hmmmm.

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I lose first in my face and waist. But my legs (esp. calves) are the last to lose and didn't happen till I was absolutely out of excess weight everywhere else. My hips/legs/calves will never be thin.

And like grim_traveller said, you can't spot lose. But you can spot gain, i.e. exercise to put muscle on specific areas. So I work on my shoulders/arms (dumbbells) and my poor scrawny butt (lunges).

I think if the skin were tighter, it would hold shapes better too and not look flabby. Like a friend said "I'm tired of sitting in a pool of myself." She had skin removal.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was the weight I am now when I was in high school and I definetly rembrr my body being different...the saggy skin sucks I try to tone but it's slow
  • JenPage10
    JenPage10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My spare tire needs to go on and leave! Its the last to leave me for some reason. My boobs were the first to go. My calves were looking nice and fat so i started climbing stairs at work 8 floors at least 3 times a week. I now can see definition.