Goal confusion

Options
dottieketostrong
dottieketostrong Posts: 102 Member
I am not sure how to figure my calorie goals! Fitbit did an automatic rate for me based on current weight and how much I want to lose, and how fast. They came up with 1700 calories a day. But MFP also did an automatic plan, and they came up with 1432. I do not lose weight no matter what I do, so what I am trying to do is maintain. To do that, I have to eat like I want to lose a pound a week. (It always tells me in 5 weeks I will have lost 6 pounds, but in over a year of trying, I have not done that. I blame the changes in my metabolism since menopause.
Anyway, I set my own goal for 1500 a day. but then Fitbit keeps giving me more calories because of exercise I do. That's when i get really confused. I guess I should just look at the total calories each day, and try to get as close to 1400-1500 and ignore all the graphs that tell me I can eat more.

Replies

• Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I would just shoot for that 1400 to 1500 mark. I like to keep track of the estimate of calories burned bc it makes me feel good and I just try to hit my target calories. I don't have enough experience with MFP. But it is roughly right based on what NS counsellors told me. So I just try to be in that range. I don't lose an amazing ton of weight every week like some people. It is what is.
  • dottieketostrong
    Options
    Me too...Thanks!
  • barby81
    barby81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when I eat around 1400 to 1500 calories a day I tend to lose more than if I go with what Nutrisystem suggested for me to eat which is 1200 a day , I was frustrated the first couple of weeks because I wasn't losing then tried eating a bit more and the pounds started coming off, I try to stay between 1300 to 1600 everyday making sure I eat more one day less the other. Hope this helps. :)
  • dottieketostrong
    Options
    Very good advice! It has taken me since April 5 to lose 6 pounds. Sounds great, until I tell you I lost the first 5 in a week. SO, basically in about 6 weeks, I have lost only one pound. It goes down about .4 every two weeks. LOL
  • lynne0754
    lynne0754 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Barby81 - I'll have to try that to see if it helps. NS recommended 1200 calories for me too and the weight isn't coming off very quickly, if at all. So I'll try doing what you're doing and see if it helps. Glad to know that I'm not alone.