Bruises!!

Options
Klhernandez81
Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
I live in FL and have this dream that I will someday wear shorts and a tank top and not have bruises on my shins, chest, or thighs...what's the trick?!!
Today, we did a WOD that included 30x hang cleans at 95lbs. The top of my thighs and the infamous chestee spot look like I was pinched or punched. Also, even when I wear compression leggings or socks, and save my shins, I manage to do silly things like drop the plate on my calf (no accounting for clumsiness).
I am a bit bruise prone, but there must be something...ladies?

Replies

• paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm always bruised. I don't know if there's a way of preventing it. My shins are finally cleared up from missed box jumps. So glad of that because I too would like to wear shorts without the ugly scabs and bruises from missed jumps. (Even my profile pic is of me showing a pretty bad bruise from power cleans) I bruise easily though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think is more of a female thing. I'll occasionally get them doing reps of heavy hang cleans, but it's very rare.

My wife, who doesn't really work out at all, bruises all the time. My ex-wife would bruise if you breathed on her too hard.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    We were flipping tires on Memorial Day and my husband and I both got bruises on our upper arms. His are gone and mine have now progressed to a lovely purple & green color scheme. Looks great with short sleeves.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I bruise if you look at me funny (and no, I'm not anemic...just bruise easily), so I have bruises constantly. Takes about 2 weeks for one to fade, and in the meantime I've picked up 4 more. But, I've come to ignore them--heck, no one notices but me anyways. They're kind of my mark of hard work. So, random person, ask me about my bruises...please? So I can proselytize a bit about the wonders of Crossfit? haha
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, they have definitely become a conversation piece! But they don't fly in a board room...and it's such a bummer wearing nylons in the summer. Oh well, I am happy that it's not just my inability to be graceful ;)
    I'm thinking I could make a lot of money if I could come up with some bruise-be-gone serium for CF women...hmmmmmm
  • bethlivi
    Options
    I think thy generally professors don't notice things like bruises. ;-) most of my colleagues wear new balances and dad jeans. (Hehe jk I love them!) my students probably notice but it gives me more cred. L

But yes bruise-be-gone would be great. Get on that!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    I bruise if you look at me funny (and no, I'm not anemic...just bruise easily), so I have bruises constantly. Takes about 2 weeks for one to fade, and in the meantime I've picked up 4 more. But, I've come to ignore them--heck, no one notices but me anyways. They're kind of my mark of hard work. So, random person, ask me about my bruises...please? So I can proselytize a bit about the wonders of Crossfit? haha

My ex- took some kind of iron supplement for old people (Geritol?) on doctor's orders and it still made not a lick of difference.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Everyone assumes that must be the issue. Lol but everyone also tries to solve everyone else's problems anyways. Haha

My chiropractor was working on my IT band and her digging left bruises that lasted over a month. Poor woman felt horribly! I was all--"girl, trust me, it's not you. It's me." Lol
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    At some point very soon I'm going to start getting some deep tissue stuff done to help jumpstart my front rack issues. Many of them come from the tricep/lats insert position. I'm guessing someone getting in there and loosening up stuck muscles and fascia will go a long way (and will be so exquisitely painful that tears will be shed.)

Totally worth it though if I can start bringing my front squats up to where they should be, when your legs fail you and not your wrists/forearms.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My bruises generally come from trying to do cleans quickly during WODS. There are a bunch of pictures from Mother's day where it looks like I have a massive hickey on my collarbone. My box jump shin gouge has healed with a pretty gnarly scar, which detracts from my work dresses but tends to create an immediate bonding opportunity with fit strangers who all have similar marks. :)
  • bethlivi
    Options
    Bostonwolf: my chiro is amazing. She works with our competitors and coaches too...and her deep tissue work is unparalleled imo. She has helped me through a bunch of tightness and issues in my hips and knees and I totally think you should give it a try. :-)
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yep Bostonwolf and bethliv I think that's going to be my next step... I need some help with my shoulders big time!
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    B) I love my bruises! They're like battle scars! I did have one friend pull me aside a while back to make sure my husband wasn't abusing me, that was a bit awkward.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    B) I love my bruises! They're like battle scars! I did have one friend pull me aside a while back to make sure my husband wasn't abusing me, that was a bit awkward.

Yeah I had someone say that they thought my husband had been choking me lol
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    Bostonwolf: my chiro is amazing. She works with our competitors and coaches too...and her deep tissue work is unparalleled imo. She has helped me through a bunch of tightness and issues in my hips and knees and I totally think you should give it a try. :-)

I have some friends who are chiros. I'm gonna ping them to get their take but I'm totally open to it.
  • bethlivi
    Options
    I think there are a couple things my chiro mentioned--first, we are located in new age central (my community is pretty hippie, which I love), so some chiros around here aren't quite about athletic performance and are more about adjusting your "chi". So she suggested looking for performance chiros, or chiros who are more recent grads with their focus on soft tissue work might be useful. So I always ask if they do a lot of soft tissue work, and/or if they apply kinesiology tapes. That probably is a good clue. :-)
  • GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Arnica tablets and arnica cream are amazing for bruising