Feeling discouraged today

Options
RachLCSW
RachLCSW Posts: 7 Member
Hey Mamas. I am a week into this MFP thing, and it seemed to work well for me the first week. I even lost a pound! I am now at the lowest weight I have been since I had my son 18 months ago. The problem is, whenever I have gotten to this weight, I all of a sudden become ravenously hungry. I am still nursing, so I guess that could be why. But this is why I have not lost any weight in the past year. I can't get past this point due to hunger. I tried really hard to reign it in today, drinking water and keeping busy with my boy, and I didn't go over my limit for the day, but I am still so hungry! Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Replies

• RachLCSW
    Options
    No one?
  • kisosborne
    kisosborne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I really struggled with hunger trying to lose weight while breastfeeding my son last year. What helped me was drinking tons of water like you mentioned and paying attention to my protein intake. For whatever reason, while breastfeeding, I found that I needed more protein than anything to stay satisfied. I basically focused on low carb, because I also felt good fats were essential to milk production.
  • kisosborne
    kisosborne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And also trying to eat smaller more frequent meals. I tried to eat at least 5 times a day, three meals and two snacks spaced pretty evenly. Small snacks high in protein or good fat worked best. It's actually hard to do while taking care of the little ones lol.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. At first you will be hungry, but if you stick to it you will find that your body will get used to the new portions. Yesterday I went over by 161 calories and I actually felt uncomfortably full. When I'm hungry at night it helps to acknowledge it, and then just say, tomorrow if I am still starving in the morning I can eat.
  • krpt2015
    krpt2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm starving while breastfeeding as well. Also you naturally need more calories to use so don't cut down too much
  • RachLCSW
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I am trying to push through it, definitely not getting enough water but am eating 5 times a day and focusing on protein and good fats. I also have definitely eaten a bit over my allotment the past couple days. So, we will see if I lose anything this week. Thanks for your support!
  • ReginaPhelangie
    ReginaPhelangie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pump up the protein and fiber, especially in the morning. They'll help you feel fuller longer.
  • RachLCSW
    Options
    So, I lost 1.5lbs this week! More than my goal. I definitely had a couple days where I went over my calories, but other days was able to focus more on drinking my water. And ReginaPhelangie, I also increased the protein (fiber has never been a problem with all the veggies I eat, lol) and that I think definitely helped. Feeling better now and less hungry. Again, thanks for your support, ladies! Hopefully I can keep this up:)