PB2 Your opinion

Options
1Ginabb
1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
Hey guys, just bought a jar of PB2. I was so excited. I love peanut butter and feel like 1 TB is never enough, just a tease. So when I heard there was an alternative which has 85% less fat and 1/3 the calories, I was over the moon. Well...I was. I brought it home on Sat. I tried a small amount on Sat. night. It was just a taste after freshly making it. The smell was awful, but the taste wasn't too bad. So today for my morning snack I prepared myself a serving in a small container and put it in the frig till break time. It was terrible. The smell had tripled and the taste was unbearable. My coworker tried it and gagged. Has anyone else had this same experience; anyone have any suggestions on how to doctor it up? I paid $4.68 for this jar, I hate to waste money....suggestions please!

Replies

• MarySG58
    MarySG58 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you had that bad experience w/PB2. I have been using both PB2s (regular & chocolate) for over 2yrs. and have never had that problem. Also, I eat my serving as soon as I fix it. I never put it nor the container in the frig. You need to return it to the store and try another one. When you open the container, it should smell like freshly roasted peanuts.....I love it and so do millions of others! Something has got to be wrong!
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I just started with PB2 and so far, no problems, and tastes/smells great. I got the choco PB2 the other day and haven't tried that yet. But, I'm like Mary, I don't save mine for later; eat it right away. Agree that maybe you need to return it.
  • 1Ginabb
    Options
    Thanks guys, I think I will. I was really excited about it. I'll get another package and try it again. If no one else has had this experience, maybe I did just get a bad batch.
    BTW, other than eating it plain, how do you guys eat it? Any recipes? With a certain fruit?
    I wonder how a PB2 and sugar free jelly on a whole wheat Flat Out would be?
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Others have tried SF jelleys and the PB2. And, some add the powder to the NS entrees like Kung Pao. I have not. Just mix it, dip apples in it.
  • kdubskwags
    kdubskwags Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You gotta to try the PB2 and NS chocolate shake. I will mix it with milk and several ice cubes. I "get to" have one of these on weekends if I burn 600 calories at the gym. That 600 goes by so easy knowing one of these Frostys is at the end. sznsido and tobefitJen posted this shake recipe a while back.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My ns friend mixes it and splits the cakes and cupcakes and puts it in the middle of them....I put mine in smoothies
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've only used it in shakes and in other NS foods as a supplement - I've never tried to eat it as a stand alone.
  • Chalmation
    Chalmation Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I use the powder in the Kung Foo noodles and protein shakes. I also use it with apple slices. Its not the same as the real thing but its good enough for me. It's a bad idea for a jar of real PB to be in the house with me.

2HyQ.gif
    psvcevyBMfc3Apnh4nq8
    n56bkb2kj4sestnfuybo6qcg3j7r
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I've never mixed it and then put it in the fridge--always consumed it right away. That may be part of the issue. But, it doesn't smell bad to me at all. It doesn't taste exactly like regular PB, but it's a darn good substitute. I'll mix some up and put it on a toasted NS bagel, but mostly I use it to make a chocolate-PB protein shake. Or just a PB protein shake (with the vanilla protein). I've never felt I needed to doctor it. But, I'm not a huge fan of regular peanut butter. I like it, but once a month is fine, so that could be a difference, too.
  • 1Ginabb
    Options
    Update! exchanged the jar. Made myself a fresh batch that I used right away. I ate it on banana slices. It was really good. Not the real thing, but not nasty and stinky like the first jar. Great AM snack. (SC/PF combo)
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    YAY! Glad that was the issue, Gina. :)
  • seanjenni
    seanjenni Posts: 373 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    one of my favorite SC/PF combos is Chocolate PB2 on a toasted 100 calorie English muffin ....yummy!!!!
    The signature I am using on MFP:

Jenni B)
    One Meal ~ One Day ~ One Pound at a Time
    MY FITNESS PAL ID: seanjenni
    MY FITBIT LINK: www.fitbit.com/user/22SQTF
  • mrs17alvarez
    mrs17alvarez Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love PB2 and usually have it 2-3 times a week. I use it in the shakes, on the NS bagels, with my NS pancakes/waffles/french toast, on celery, and in the Spicy Kung Pao Noodles lunch. So glad you figured out what the problem was!
  • Stewartsmom1
    Stewartsmom1 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    I also love PB2. I use it in the spicy Kung Pao noodles as well. I did not care for it in the shakes. I will use it on a 100 calorie whole wheat sandwich thin for my PF/SC in the afternoon sometimes.