Losing weight while training

Options
2»

Replies

• SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    And Matt Fitzgerald has a great "Racing Weight Cookbook." I have made several of the recipes out of it and they are pretty good!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I've decided to go into maintenance for a while, i got a blood panel done and have really low total cholesterol so i'm going to focus on getting that up.

Which basically means, that as a vegan, now i have to be a pig and eat as much fat as i can. It's going to be a struggle i know.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I've decided to go into maintenance for a while, i got a blood panel done and have really low total cholesterol so i'm going to focus on getting that up.

Which basically means, that as a vegan, now i have to be a pig and eat as much fat as i can. It's going to be a struggle i know.

So what exactly did your doctor tell you to eat? I was under the impression that cholesterol levels are mostly hereditary, but if dietary factors do play a role, what would you need to eat as a vegan when none of the food you eat is going to contain cholesterol? Does some other mechanism come into play here?
  • veganbettie
    Options
    My doctor is not vegan friendly at all any wants me to at the very least eat milk and eggs...I don't really feel like that's an option for me ethically at this point. If I can't figure it out I may introduce eggs back into my diet but only eggs that I can gather from my friends chickens....I'm honestly at a loss right now and really frustrated.....my next step is to talk to a dietician and see what they have to say.

My dilemma here is no matter who you talk to, there is a freaking bias. Doctors, first of all know very little about nutrition, for the most part, they just aren't taught about it in depth. She wants me to not only focus on getting more protein, but also focus on getting all the amino acids, which makes sense, I mean the vegan diet isn't necessarily brimming in complete proteins. So she wants me to focus on combining food, rice and beans and whatever else, WHICH is a total myth, you don’t need to combine them as long as you’re eating them throughout the day. Total old school way of thinking.

Spoke with someone else that is supposedly a vegan RD, he said that it could be my liver not functioning correctly. Which is very well could be, your liver helps make the cholesterol from your body I guess? But I’m 28…. Ya I drink and I drink a lot, but I have no other signs of that….but of course he didn’t believe it had anything to do with my diet, because well, he is vegan….

A lot of it is genetics, but most people in my family have high cholesterol, so it’s hard for me to judge properly where this is coming from.

I’ve also been cutting calories for a long time now. And breastfeeding. And I’ve been a vegan for 8 years. So, I don’t know if I’m just not giving my body everything it needs or what….for the most part I feel okay. I’m tired a lot, but I have a toddler and I’ve been running…..I don’t want to give up running, but it would be excruciating for me to give up my moral values and start eating something I don’t agree with again you know?

Sorry if this is really scrambled I’ve been really upset….or maybe my brain is hazy from the lack of cholesterol in my diet who the f knows.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

What is "really low" total cholesterol? I should pull up my results from back in the day. I remember my LDL and HDL matching: 48 each. I forget what my triglycerides were but my doctor was completely unconcerned about my low levels.

• veganbettie
    Options
    My total is 89, should be between 125 and 200

Ldl is 29 and hdl is 52

Triglycerides are 41
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Your cholesterol levels can't be blamed solely on dietary cholesterol. Your body produces enough cholesterol on it's own. It would be well known that vegans world wide were all terribly low with their cholesterol levels otherwise. Something else is likely at play here.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    She did say that it's possible I just have a low set point, this was the first time I've had it tested.