Inches VS Pounds

Options
AmberSpamber
AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
I've seen this discussion many times in my life and always chuckle when people worry they are not loosing lbs over inches. Any loss in inches is a loss right? I guess it's my turn to be that person. I am on day 11 of the 21 day fix. I am 5"3 and when I started was 149. My weight since then fluctuates between 147.2 and 148.8- so no significant weight loss as of yet. I had lost over 3 inches through out my body (as of Sunday). I know that I am creating muscle (it is obvious) but when do you think the scale will catch up with what I am doing? Every time I have worked out I loose weight quickly along with gaining muscle, but this routine has thrown me off since I am gaining muscle first. I guess. My expectation has always been to see the scale change WITH the muscle gain. Any words of wisdom? I guess I am just trying not to get down with the scale not moving. I love my body for what it is doing- I don't like how my fear of the number is blocking me from seeing the great thing I am doing. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom would be to focus on your measurements and how your clothes fit vs the scale. Often when we lose fat and put on muscle, the scale only moves a bit or not at all.

I know its difficult to visualize it - I struggle with it all the time but that's pretty much the truth. When I was at my fittest like my avatar, I weighed 165lbs I believe. Weight means nothing.
  • dawnkwiatek
    dawnkwiatek Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle - and especially knowing that to put on muscle you really need to be eating calories, so how can I not lose weight - lose inches and be eating at a deficit? Impossible!

But trying not to get down myself, I just try to focus on other things, how I feel, how I look, the compliments from others....
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the opposite problem. Last round of 21DF, I lost lbs (nearly 10) but not inches (total a mere 1.25) and it worried me because with that much weight loss, I should have lost inches. And if I am not losing inches, then how much of the was merely water weight? I don't know. Sure enough, the scale is moving up this week and I've changed nothing. Still using the containers and doing 21DF back-to-back with PiYo so you can imagine my confusion and frustration.

That said, I am moving forward and trusting that the next time I do my measurements (18 May) I will see inches and not just pounds dropping off. I have another pair of yoga pants getting loose. That has to mean inches, right? *sigh*
  • littleboopy
    littleboopy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I should take some measurements since my scale is climbing and im not happy about it! Ugh.. I have to get rid of this excess weight before July 1st!! And stepping on that scale this morning had me feeling really defeated..,
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @littleboopy My numbers are going up as well. I just remind myself that I may be losing inches that I cannot yet see. Yes, absolutely take measurements. And please take pictures too. They can be amazingly motivating. Okay, maybe not the Before pictures so much but the After ones will really show you your progress, even when the scale is not being so kind.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It is SUPER hard to see the scale not showing any progress, believe me, I know! My weight has fluctuated within a 10 lb range for most of the last 2 years. That being said, in the last 3 years, I have gone from a size 18 pants/42DD bra to a size 10/12 pants and a 38DD bra.

10 years ago I was 175 lbs and a size 16...today I am 192 lbs and a size 10. Yep, I weigh almost 20 lbs more, but I'm several sizes smaller!
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Those changes are awesome. It goes to show that the number on the scale isn't the whole truth. It is more about the whole picture.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    Well, I am in week 5 of gaining weight and inches. Albeit, not a lot but everything is moving in the wrong direction. I know I'd be just as frustrated if I were gaining and losing the same few pounds but right now even that would feel better than gaining in increments.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    @SatiaRenee do you think you need to up your food intake or back it down? (I don't know where you are at) Perhaps you are burning to much so your body is retaining everything you eat? Just a thought I know in the past I sometimes I have to trick my body by adding a few higher calorie days.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    @mrsewert That may be my next line of defense. I'm going to stick with Intermittent Fasting from now through the end of the month (when I'm not doing the 3 Day Quick Fix and/or the 3 Day Refresh). Then I leave on vacation and, when I get back, I'll probably drop some pounds simply by going back to using the containers. If I see the scale stall out, especially if it does it around the same weight I am now, I'll move up a bracket. I may even do a "cycle" of twice a week being up one bracket and then the rest of the week being on the bracket where I belong if going up one is too scary for me. Or too filling. So much food, sometimes, I don't know how to get it all eaten!
  • kathymford
    kathymford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 inches the first week, but my weight has stayed pretty much the same. All I know is that my work clothes fit better and I'm rewarding myself with some new jeans for Vegas. Hang in there!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My trainer /coach did my measurements a few days before I started 21df. We're doing them again a few days after this round is over. It'll be interesting to see what the results are.
  • deltayork
    deltayork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Odd... my first week and a half I'm down 3 lbs, but now inches. I didn't weigh this weekend (went camping and fell off the wagon), but will again by mid-week.