Advice: Dieting and Stress (Bar Exam)

Options
anonymous60654
anonymous60654 Posts: 21 Member
I'm currently 25lbs down on nutrisystem after a little over 2 months on the program. I really want to keep the momentum going!

Im taking the bar exam at the end of July so my life has pretty much been nonstop studying. I'm still losing, but I'm not losing as fast. I think it's a combination of stress, not moving enough (long hours in lecture/studying), and significantly diminished sleep (I always lose more when I sleep well--lately I have been having stress dreams and just not sleeping well generally). Have any of you been through this or similar? Do you have any pointers or coping mechanisms?

On the bright side, I'm so glad I stared this before I finished law school and started the summer ~20 pounds lighter. I feel really healthy, which is one less thing to worry about as I prep for the bar exam. I'm not binge eating or falling into lazy bad habits like I'm sure I would have before NS, but I'm definitely not losing as quickly. Help please! Need advice and encouragement.

Replies

• Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I've not faced stress-related things such as studying lately so cannot help you. Of course, when I did, I wasn't on any kind of eating plan and just grabbed snacks, didn't sleep well, and spent countless hours studying and not moving. I'm of no help to you in that regard.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good though not binge eating or falling back into old habits. Maybe you can take more frequent breaks and move a little. Just take a nice walk, listen to pre-recorded study material while you walk? Do not eat while studying ... drink all of your water. Actually get up, move to the dining/kitchen table to eat your meals. Break out of study mode .....

Sometimes when you are facing a challenge such as this, you have to just do what you can. Not stress on losing, just maintaining where you are now. You have already accomplished something tremendous which is a great loss of weight. 25 pounds ... CONGRATULATIONS!!

And, I sincerely wish you luck on the Bar Exam.
  • anonymous60654
    Options

Thank you so much for your kind words! All great advice. I took a break tonight and walked the dog to a park and did some practice problems outside. Helped a lot (and got me moving some)!

• 1Ginabb
    1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your law degree. I am sure you will do fine on the bar exam. That's a great accomplishment and to be able to diet and prepare is a feat in itself. I am currently in grad school and dieting, and I firmly believe stress is a huge factor. Nightingale had some great advice. As for me.... this is a huge test, with a 50% pass/fail rate. Put ALL your focus on that...however, remember healthy food in, means clearer mind for studying. So I suggest you make use of NS meal bars, quick snacks and anything that is going to make eating stress free. I like to treat myself to a 30 mins treat. I fix a cup of coffee with my favorite sugar and fat free creamer and slowly eat my dessert of the day while watching a meaningless tv show...Big Bang, Mike and Molly...something just wholesome and fun.. It's amazing how that 30 min treat keeps me focused and sane. Just get through these last few days/weeks... have you taken any of the sections yet? I know here in Virginia, they have 2 different sections that are given 2 weeks apart. (a good friend just finished her degree and took her test this spring) here's a word of encouragement...she passed!
  • anonymous60654
    Options
    1Ginabb wrote: »

Thanks for the encouragement! In Illinois, where I am, it's a 2 day test, with the days lasting 8 hours and running consecutively (all day Tuesday and then all day Wednesday). I'm testing right around where I need to be to pass, and I really loved law school (was the head of my school's law review, worked my *kitten* off, graduated summa cum laude, etc). I'm just not the best test-taker. The zoning out with TV advice is SO GOOD--one of the greatest pleasures of life right now it (embarassing) sitting in the bathtub and watching either make up tutorials on youtube (I find them so comforting for some reason) or housewives shows (TOTALLY mindless).

Best of luck with YOUR test! I'm sure you'll kill it, and it you ever need someone to whine about studying with, you know where to find me!
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You are amazing taking all this on at once!!! You will multitasking for the rest if your life with this career....make yourself get up every morning at a set time, organize your meals water study classes and exercise for the day then! Make a schedule and stick to it....think of your life as a giant to do list like you would when you are getting organized to take on a case....you can do this and we are here for moral support!!!!!
  • kayakqueen53
    kayakqueen53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing law school. I graduated in 1998 and took the bar exam that summer. I remember it was a very stressful time. My pet got sick and died. My mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer. My dad got ill and ended up in the hospital for awhile. I thought I'd not pass the exam. But I did. I don't even remember what my weight was doing then. I was so focused on the bar.

Do your best to follow the NS plan. You need to make that final push for the end of July. So try to get proper rest, set a schedule, and stick to it. Wake up at a set hour, plan breaks during the day, including meals/snacks and exercise, and then go to bed at a set hour. I also think that planning is the key. So plan your meals several days in advance. Put your menu up on the refrigerator.

Good luck on the bar!
  • anonymous60654
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
  • anonymous60654
    Options

Such good advice! Thank you!
  • jlkowal87
    jlkowal87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was in your exact position three years ago. My advice would be focus on studying. I exercised every morning before I began studying/lectures. That calmed my nerves a little a woke me up for the day. After dinner I would walk my dog. I weighed myself every other week because like you I was already a few months into NS and wasn't losing as quickly. That helped me by still seeing small changes. Try to be structured and plan meals, workouts, and exercise with study time. Know that it will be over before you know it. I honestly think NS helped me through bar prep because it is so easy (NS that is). Most of all try to remain calm and positive! Bar prep is a ton of info, a ton of work, and there is no way you can remember it all. Just take it one day at a time. The weight will come off on its on. Good luck to you and keep your eye on the prize!
  • anonymous60654
    Options
    jlkowal87 wrote: »

Thank you so much for the advice! So nice to know that someone else was in the same exact position and got through it :)
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Hang in there, anony. Keep coming back here with updates. :)
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Just checking in on you, anony. How are things coming along??
  • anonymous60654
    Options
    Just checking in on you, anony. How are things coming along??

Thanks for checking in! Things are okay. Still losing, but slowly. I have been super unproductive and unmotivated with studying, though. Hoping to get back to 100% tomorrow. My husband is home from a long business trip which makes it way harder to get anything done :( just feel stressed and anxious and tired. Ready for all this to be over!
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    I understand.

I was nodding at your statement, "... husband is home ... makes it way harder ... ". We love and miss them, but when we are trying to focus on the task at hand, it becomes a burden.

Was just thinking about you ... cheering you on to get past this hurdle (unproductive/unmotivated). And, you will. You'll get a second "wind" and do it.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Take one day at a time....we didn't get this way overnight...life interfered to get us here...at least now we have the right mindset and the tools to be healthy and happy!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I graduated from law school in December 1986 and took the bar that summer. Gave me lots of study time but also lots of time to panic! I wish you the best of luck.

Studying stuff you never heard of before (because, e.g. who would ever study water rights in law school) and would never use again was annoying but has to be done.

The best advice anyone gave me was to take ear plugs!