Clothes

Options
gardendoc
gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
I was sleeved on March 9th. I'm quickly going through and piling up the clothes that don't fit me anymore.

I kinda hit a "milestone" today. I have run out of pants and actually bought pants that fit right off the rack. I have had to buy my clothes from the big guys store online for soooo many years.

Now losing weight I hate to buy new clothes, going to the thrift store this week to donate and try to find some clothes that fit.

What's everyone else doing/done about their clothes?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Lots of visits to the thrift stores with some new treats. I found some great almost new stuff at Platos Closet shopping with my kids.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Donating clothes as they get too big. I have been lucky to get some clothes from my sister and a friend, and that saved me a bunch of money. Also got some some clothes in clearance sections of stores, where I was only paying $5-10. I have just enough clothes to get through a week of work, but not too much more. Waiting until I get to my maintenance size before I consider a new wardrobe.
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been donating some stuff, and actually found a local buddy on here to send my clothes to. Too bad we couldn't start a clothing exchange :/ I was glad to see them go to a good home. I've been wearing a lot of hand me downs, thrifted stuff and honestly, new stuff can be even cheaper if on sale or purchased with a coupon at places like old navy, tjmaxx and marshalls. Macy's is good for a sale too- I just wore a dress to a wedding that cost me 86 cents after all the coupons I used.

Enjoy the new clothes and congrats on the "regular size" pants! Wahoo!!
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I sold a few items on a facebook page, gifted some to a fellow vsg on instagram and donated three huge boxes of my clothes. Some nicer work suits I am going to consign. With exception of undergarments, one pair of jeans, and a new outfit for job interviews, I've redressed and redonated from 2 thrift shops.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    yep, donated a lot of clothes to a couple of family members and to Goodwill and salvation army..ive also shopped thrift shops a few times already and am about to have to go again..lol..but i do agree that some places like Younkers and Kohls have amazing clearance/coupon sales..bought a new dress and pair of jeans 3 weeks ago for $10 altogether
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I tried selling my too big clothing at a garage sale, twice, was not successful. I still donated most of it. It's a good tax write off. As for replacing as we go down, resale shops have become my friend. Clearance racks work and once I got small enough to shop at places like WalMart, that helped too. Because I have to dress "corporate" for work (thank God that doesn't mean suits at my level) I have had to buy most of those things new. When I was losing fast I tended to only replace after going down at least 2 sizes and then would buy one more size smaller than I really was. Everything was a stretchy material and tight for a bit, but not long and that way they lasted longer. Now that the weight loss is extremely slow, I've actually been at the same size for almost a year. My pants are about a size bigger than they should be, but I'm going to wear them until they are 2 sizes too big.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of my weight loss, I had clothes in a lot of smaller sizes that I could "lose into", so I didn't have to buy much for a while. After that, I donated most of my old clothes,and I sold some on eBay. I bought some clothes on eBay, and I shopped at thrift stores, but my luck was hit and miss. Also like others, I shopped a lot of sales, used coupons, shopped the clearance racks, etc. and I was able to get really good deals. I had to replace pretty much all of my shoes too because my feet got smaller. I don't even want to guess how much I have spent on clothes and shoes since my surgery!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have been giving away, selling and donating. Luckily they just put in a Goodwill about 1/2 mile from my house so I walk down there a lot and have found some good things to take me to the next stage.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I bought on Ebay, consignment stores, clothes mentor. I must wear suits at work when I go to the office, but haven't had to do that but once since surgery (fortunately working from home right now). I am buying clothes from a Cabi consultant, that has some clothes from previous seasons. I also have been successful in getting a few items altered for a smaller me. I have absolutely no clothes that I had when I started this journey, Shoes have only gone down a half size and that's ok.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I bought on Ebay, consignment stores, clothes mentor. I must wear suits at work when I go to the office, but haven't had to do that but once since surgery (fortunately working from home right now). I am buying clothes from a Cabi consultant, that has some clothes from previous seasons. I also have been successful in getting a few items altered for a smaller me. I have absolutely no clothes that I had when I started this journey, Shoes have only gone down a half size and that's ok.

Are cabi clothes reasonable priced? I know a consultant but never checked prices.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Cabi clothes are expensive, $$$ but if you get the past season clothes you can get them at 50% off or more, depends on the consultant. I usually get mine about half off. I also check ebay and get some.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Shoes! That's been my biggest issue. I have bone spurs in both heals so have been wearing Dansko and Birkenstocks for years. Expensive shoes for sure and with the weight loss they all got too wide. I'm still a size 10 or 11 depending on style, but my feet are now skinny. Most of the Birks and all of the Danskos do not adjust. Lots of money no longer fitting my feet.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've worn knee high compression hose due to a staph infection many, many years ago and now will develop cellulitis if I don't wear them. Well I had a bout of cellulitis while wearing my hose. Long story short due to my weight loss my hose were 2 sizes too small and not delivering the right compression. Even my doc hadn't thought of that consequence.
  • bookerlr
    bookerlr Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been giving my clothes away to Goodwill and my mother's church. I am now wearing my daughter's clothes and my neighbor gave me some clothes that she couldn't fit anymore. I have only been to the thrift store once. My weight loss is slower than most though.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey I bought a goal outfit, it was a couple sizes smaller, I still wear the pants, the shirt on the other hand looked like poop on me (peplum shirts are not my friend). I have had things taken in, but clearance items and coupons you can use on clearance items are great.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm in the opposite boat - I can finally wear my shoes again! Because now I don't have plantar faciitis. I've been wearing crocs for almost a year and I finally get my Chucks back. I always had skinny feet though. And most of the shoes are fairly new because I went up to an 11 during pregnancy and never went down.
  • BEENVSGD
    BEENVSGD Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on buying too many clothes unless it's a special event. I bought a sewing kit and have been altering my clothes. Plan on doing so until i drop a significant amount of weight. Also, I have several pieces that were a tight fit.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I learned to buy only a few things because I'd go thru them so fast. And wore my casual clothes till they were too baggy cuz I didn't care what I looked like at home.

It was fun to hit goal and start a new wardrobe. In the past I'd snap up the few things that fit and looked good. And now everything looks good, but I can't afford everything. I have to stick to just the things I need. :laugh:

Enjoy!
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you know I was in Walmart last month and finally --a year when they had "Fat clothes" I liked. Getting by right now on clothes I grew out of. Then I plan to look for sales or try the Rescue Mission Thrift store.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I just bought a few outfits each time I dropped 2 sizes. They were baggy but not falling off by the time I replaced them with correctly fitting clothes each time. I also had some pieces stored away from past weight loss attempts that I fit back into as the weight came off.