A little advice please.

Options
jackielou867
jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
So I lost the weight, was skinny fat, lifted the weights, dabbled with bulking cutting, made mistakes. Now I think I finally got this but I have questions.

I know everyone is different but I am trying to get a general idea.

How long in the year do you bulk/cut for?

How many calories over/under maintenance would you go?

How much weight would you reasonably look to lose/gain per week?

I did a 4 month cleanish bulk, maybe just 100 calories extra a day? I put on about 4 kilos but I think the first kilo was just post cutting water/glycogen and maybe a little bit of Christmas cake!

I am currently on a 3 month cut. Dropping 250 calories a day and looking to lose half lb/quarter kilo a week. Is this reasonable?

I have read a lot of the theory but I am curious to hear what people actually do, and what the actual results have been.

Also I have started to see a little loss in strength, I know this is normal, and it sucks, how long, once I finish the cut, will it take to get back to my pre cut form?

thanks in advance

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Specifically referencing bulking:
    Usually several months- the exact time frame depends on how long you can stand it and how slow the bulk. The slower the bulk- the longer you can go.

I aim for 4-6 months- 3 seems to be the hardest for everyone. I like 5- but I didn't also want to drag it out for several seasons.

Start with like 250 over- keep adding as you stall out. Remember this number will go up as you put on weight.
    I started at like 2500 calories- and after 5 months I was around 3200.

Gaining in none linear fashion around a pound a week- 1/2-1 pound would be acceptable. Again a little dependent on how long you're willing to go and how long you can physically/mentally stand it.

You're cut goal is reasonable- yes.

There is no set answer to the "how long it takes me to get it back"- will totally depend on everything else you're doing and how much more you chose to eat.

You sound like you have a pretty good handle on the situation- I wouldn't sweat it to much- keep on keeping on. And adjust as needed.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's been all trial and error for me. First bulk turned 'dirty' because of my lack of discipline - an 8 week bulk followed by an 8 month cut! Results were good all the same.

I was much more rigid second time around - I spent weeks finding my actual maintenance and then was pretty good at sticking to a 250 cal surplus (had to up it towards the end). 17 weeks bulking, really only around 8 weeks cutting (at much higher cals than before, I really appear to be nailing cutting now, always struggled in the past).

The times were pretty incidental, I was going for a specific weight gain (8 lb).

I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to bulk again or recomp but if I go for a bulk, I'll be looking to gain 14 lb this time so @ 250 surplus, around 28 weeks.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on what you're doing - just see how things feel when you get into it and mess around accordingly :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha looks like I just did an essay style playjerise on Jo's last sentence :blush:
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls. 250 calories a day is going to seem like a lot, especially when added to the 250 I've cut. Looks like I am going to enjoy my holiday eating pretty guilt free though :-)
    So far now I have lost 4 kilos, and am 1.5 kilos off goal, which the first time around (just regular diet, cardio and joining a gym towards the end of it all) looked a bit disappointing, this time round (4x a week lifting and cardio really just to warm up) I am really loving the results.
    I have lost some muscle (the novice gains last year were pretty freaking awesome) but I am looking forward to getting that back later in the year.
    My goal..fit and fabulous at 50 (next June ;-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    250 calories is a snickers bar.

it's not really that much extra quiet honestly.