Ovary pain

Options
s_y8s
s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
My husband and I had sex last night and now my ovaries hurt. Is it a cyst?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Probably. The only way to know for sure, though, is to get an ultrasound.
  • andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you close to ovulation time? I frequently get cysts and they will hurt significantly around the time that I am ovulating but calm down after 3-4 days. Really freaked me out the first couple of times (even went to the ER!) but I know what it is now. Def. go see your doc if the pain is severe or persistent.
  • s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    andisue50 wrote: »
    Are you close to ovulation time? I frequently get cysts and they will hurt significantly around the time that I am ovulating but calm down after 3-4 days. Really freaked me out the first couple of times (even went to the ER!) but I know what it is now. Def. go see your doc if the pain is severe or persistent.

Ok thanks
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    s_y8s wrote: »
    andisue50 wrote: »

Ok thanks

Mine (cysts) would rupture every time I ovulated, so for a while, I would always know when it was, but my marriage was failing and therefore was not having much sex at the time for comparison.
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been having what I think is ovary pain on my left side. Started shortly after I started eating LCHF - and as soon as I felt it, I recalled that I used to have that same pain back when I was doing Atkins, about a decade ago. It's more of a dull achy feeling than actual pain, lower left abdomen. I supposedly have a cyst on my right ovary, but I've never felt anything on that side, it's always been my left.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Unless it gets works or you can isolate it to a specific time of day or meal, I'd just talk to the doc during your next visit. But if your urine or anything becomes affected, I'd hotfoot it in to get checked out!
  • me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah, nothing like that so far. I was planning on bringing it up next visit anyway, which will probably be a whole other battery of tests.... bleah.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I often complain that the healthier I get, the more underlying issues I uncover!!
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been having pain when I ovulate ever since I can remember--well before my PCOS diagnosis. Today I'm feeling sharp, knife like stabs on my left side (where they always are.) They haven't been this bad in a long time though. Last time I called my OB (who I LOVE) he said it was likely a cyst bursting and it was normal with PCOS. Anything OTC that you ladies take to help with this pain? Ibuprofen and Tylenol don't seem to work for me. Last time I took a muscle relaxer I had leftover from back injury stuff and it really helped, but I don't know that I want to be taking that at work.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I haven't had that pain in a long time. The key to preventing the cysts and ruptures as much as possible are to get your hormones balanced out. If you're not on hormonal birth control, Inositol and/or Vitex can help. Cysts and rupturing cysts may not be unheard of with PCOS, but they are far from normal and are utterly unnecessary to suffer through if they can be hormonally managed (a very small percent can't be)...

For me, Salon Pas patches are key. Combine that with heating pad if possible. Drink lots of fluids (essentially, the explanation that I got was two things - part of the pain was the rupture itself, and part of the pain is the body deal with the cyst fluid)... as for the pain itself, alternating tylenol, then 2 hours later ibuprofen, then 2 hours later tylenol again (mimics RX painkillers without the sleep part) is about the only thing that helped orally. Movement helps the body (or my body) process it all quicker one the almost passing out part is past. Oh, and prior to the rupture, tight pants can help, because it constricts the amount that the painful contracting muscles can move.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carly. I haven't had one in ages. I have the Mirena and take inositol daily, also on Metformin. I see my doc at the end of the month for a blood panel to find out what's up with my hormones and how they're doing. Last time I saw him he was talking about some potential thyroid issues as it's genetic. I was born with a condition that puts out too many dormant cells of some kind, but it wasn't a concern until puberty when hormones actually mattered...then the PCOS on top of that...so we will see how it all works out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Good luck with thyroid meds (which honestly should have been addressed first - it's a HUGE factor in every single thing in your whole body)... For me, they improved my lab results but not my symptoms, so I had to add a supplement... Let me know if you end up down that road! (hugs)