Considering FitBit: Give Me Your Thoughts!

Options
samoppenheim
samoppenheim Posts: 5 Member
Hi, Y'all!

I joined this group because I am considering buying the FitBit HR and I just wanted to get an honest review before I do. Is FitBit the best tracker out there? Is there a cheaper but still efficient version? I'm a college student and money is tight, but I've hit a plateau in my weightloss and I think tracking beyond MFP would really help. What FitBit do you have and has it helped? How accurate is it really?

In general, is the HR worth the 150 bucks?
-Sam

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR (I recently upgraded from a Flex) and a Jawbone UP24. Fitbit's customer service is a million times better than Jawbne's.

Which model you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference. They all calculate your TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator. And they all sync with MFP.
  • samoppenheim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Do you feel like it's revolutionized your fitness/weight loss/daily life? I definitely think the data will be helpful, but is it worth the money to you?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was shocked how many calories Fitbit said I could eat. But I lost the weight & have maintained for ten months. Absolutely worth the price.

If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block. And Fitbit challenges are fun.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I love my Charge HR, but I had a One before and it was great, too. I like having the heart rate feature, but to be honest, my One was probably almost as accurate in estimating my calorie burn. Mine seems to over-estimate my calorie burn, but only by a little (<100 calories a day). It really motivates me to move more and because I'm confident that I know how many calories I'm burning each day, it motivates me to accurately log my food.

If money is tight, you might consider getting the Zip unless you have a strong need to track your sleep. The stair climbing function is inaccurate and doesn't affect any calorie calculations, so I would completely ignore that feature when considering which model to get.
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 days into using my new Charge HR and am loving it more than I thought I would! I was using a Jawbone UP24 and a Polar HRM to track steps and calorie burn during exercise, but the Fitbit Charge HR does both jobs and not too chunky to wear on the wrist either. I like the fact that it feels more sturdy than the Jawbone (have been through 2 of those in less than 18 months) and that I don't need to be carrying my phone to access the data.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You might find this thread helpful:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10136722/

I have a Charge HR and love it. Was using a Polar HRM before, the Charge is as accurate for me as it was and I never forget it because it always on my wrist except for when I am charging it back up, so no battery issues either. If money is tight you might want to explore the second hand market, as some want the Surge now and will be getting rid of the Charge HR. Surge is now good for HIIT, biking, and other non step based activities.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just got the Charge HR. I had the Fitbit One...the Fitbit One was under reporting what I was burning. I'm getting a more accurate burn with the Charge HR. The fitbit One said I burned 23-2400 calories per day...where I'm now seeing a 26-2700 burn...(I'm fairly active) and I'm losing now because I'm eating more for teh amount I'm burning. Its a matter of personal preference.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love my Charge HR. Am in maintenance now. So far, keeping me on track. I use MFP for food logging and fitbit for exercise logging. I have the HR set to auto sync have enabled negative calories in MFP and a sedentary setting. I have MFP synced with fitbit. As far as daily calorie allowance, I eat somewhere between the 2 allowances that both MFP and fitbit give me. MFP usually gives me more calories. It is a learning curve, but there are a lot of articles that explain the difference between the 2 sites. The best take-away is that now I get accounted for calories burned the entire day, rather than just when I wore my annoying Garmin chest strap for HR. If I want GPS for my runs/walks, etc I can use the fitbit app.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I started out with a Zip and really enjoyed it, although I did lose it a time or two. I got the Charge HR for my birthday and I love it!
  • samoppenheim
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • grace_ace1987
    grace_ace1987 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's what my partner and I are thinking too. We would love the charge hr but want to be sure because of price.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I bought my Fitbit Flex on Ebay. It's also $150 brand new, I think. So I didn't buy it that way. Got it for $54 on eBay. You might find a good HR there as well.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    A warning about buying a Fitbit on Ebay. If something goes wrong, you probably can't get it taken care of under warranty. I bought a One off of Ebay and when the battery stopped taking a charge, I was SOL.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    True, for used ones, so far mine is fine. Had it about a month. You can find NEW items on eBay and many of them have the manufacturer's warranty.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Mine was not used. It was new. It was not covered under warranty because Fitbit did not authorize the seller. The seller did not disclose that the product wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'm not upset about it. I got the product at a reduced price and it worked fine for several months and I knew that I was taking an additional risk buying it that way. However, when it came time to buy my Charge HR, I bought direct from Fitbit.