Just a quick question

Options
mariawhipple64
mariawhipple64 Posts: 22 Member
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I am using the box that my fast 5 came in and put my next 7 days of meals in the box. Is that a good way set myself up for success?

Replies

• Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It should work fine!! Some people plan ahead for the week,like you r doing. Some people even log their food ahead the night before including all the PF and SC so they have a plan or menu the next day. Others do it more on the fly, that's me. It just depends what works for u. And if for some reason u end up not liking that way u can just change it
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Every time my box comes i get 28 baggies...put 1 of each meal in a bag and put 7 in a tray and slide the tray under my bed....each week i pull out one tray and put it in my kitchen...every day i grab a bag and thats what i eat for the day....no having to choose what i will eat....ive been on the program since last December so ive accumulated enough trays fm the BBBs so i have 4 now and no items i dont like because i customize my shelf stable order....i dont get frozen, but if you do you could baggie those and put them in the freezer...
  • Punk42AE
    Punk42AE Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's honestly how i've done things since I started a six months ago Maria. I just put 4-5 days worth of stuff in the box, then open it up and pull out "surprise" things in the morning and set them all out for that day. Worked well for me, and keeps things interesting.
  • mariawhipple64
    Options
    Thanks! I was worried that I was planning wrong
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was worried that I was planning wrong

There's really no wrong way--whatever works for you. :) Set yourself up for success in whatever way you need to. I don't plan ahead like that. When I get up in the morning, I see what sounds good to me--it's usually a frozen cinnamon roll or oatmeal. :) During the week I have lunch bars and raw veggies every day and I keep several bars in my desk at work so I can pick which flavor sounds good to me. Dinner's the same--whatever sounds good. And, the only thing I need to plan ahead on for dessert is if I want to have a frozen cupcake; I take it out of the freezer around dinner time so it's thawed by 8 p.m. when I usually eat my dessert. I have my autodelivery set so that I get a new shipment when I still have a week to 10 days worth of foot; that way I have a selection to choose from. I like not planning ahead and picking out what sounds good at the moment. But, if planning ahead works for you, then by all means, do it! :)
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I decided to try planning out on Sunday what I would eat for the week including logging in all my food for the week. That lasted once and I spent a lot of time editing my food diary. The reason why is because just about every day I would decide I wanted something different to eat. The only time I stuck with the planned menu that week was when I had class and took with me what I had on the menu.

I did like ev's idea of the baggies and that's not out of the question for me. I will take that idea into consideration possibly.

Like Beesma said, there is no wrong/right way. Whatever is convenient for you and something that will allow you to stay on the plan.

I have (a new shipment arrived yesterday) almost all frozen foods to eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert) and I really love these overall. I still order a few SS foods to take with me when I am not at home.

In July and August, I will be traveling a lot and will take an ice chest with my frozens.

Good luck, maria. Let us know what you do. :)
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep everyone is different. I did (and still do) sort everything out so that all of dinners are together, my lunches, my breaksfast, etc so I don't have to riffle through everything just to find my breakfast. I will also tell you that the first month, I made a spreadsheet and mapped out what I planned to do for each meal, and my theory was that I wouldn't plan a bar breakfast on the same day I had a bar lunch, and not a pasta lunch when I was doing a pasta dinner. I change my mind a few times, but I had a basic plan.

Then I went on a week of vacation.

Starting back up again last week, I'm giving it thought and prepping a little the night before, but basically I'm deciding the morning of what I'm going to do. As long as I have all of my 'staples' ready to go, it's working for me (staples being a boatload of sauted mushrooms and onions ready on a moments notice, a whole roasted chicken ready to go, etc.) You'll find your pace -- just try a few different things and if you find one that is too big of a pain, drop it because you won't be happy.
  • mariawhipple64
    Options
    Do we have to count salad in our calorie count?
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Do we have to count salad in our calorie count?

You don't actually have a "calorie count." Non-starchy vegetables are unlimited, so most vegetables commonly found in salads would be unlimited. I log my unlimited vegetables because that's how I make sure I get all my veggie servings in and I also like to know exactly what I eat.

If by calorie count, you're thinking your plan (like the 1200 plan) is the number of calories you can eat in day, then you're close, but it's actually a range and not a limit. If you're on the 1200 plan, your calorie range goes up to 1499. It used to be NS didn't tell us how many calories there were "supposed to be" on whatever plan we were on. You just followed the program and lost weight. Now, there's a number in the plan title and people think that's the number of calories they're supposed to eat in day and NS doesn't do a good job of clarifying that. They also changed the logging so that it shows calories consumed which makes people more conscious of them as well.
  • mariawhipple64
    Options
    OK thanks :)
  • hope4change_val
    hope4change_val Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    Hi Maria. It is whatever works for you.
    I have 4 bins: breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert. Each time I leave the house, I estimate how long I'll be away, and take the NS foods plus veggies, SCs, n PFs I'll need till I return. If im hiking or running errands, the bars are super convenient. If I'll be at the office, the pasta cups are easy to add water n pop in the microwave. The pancakes have to be at home (I love those). For dinners, I balance what I feel like w how many if each item is on hand. FYI- the pizzas are much better in the oven vs microwave. And remember you can customize; I live onion n bell pepper or mushroom or tsp BBQ sauce w chicken n onion. Enjoy!!!
  • mariawhipple64
    Options
    Has anyone knows what else been told on mfp they are below their calorie count?
  • SuziBoston
    SuziBoston Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea Maria!!
  • evhutchings
    Options
    Has anyone knows what else been told on mfp they are below their calorie count?
    Yes and I usually am so I add a pf to bring it into a range that I can complete my day

• mgravenhorst
    mgravenhorst Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a bin/roller cart that I used to keep sweaters in. I have breakfast items in the top, lunches in the middle and dinners on the bottom. I keep a box on top with the desserts. I basically don't plan ahead because sometimes I am just not in the mood for certain items. I simply open the bin, pull something out and that is it. I try to change up my PF and SC on a daily basis so I don't get bored with eating the same things. If I am going out, I grab bars to take with me. I purchased a box of snack bags and I keep those filled with nuts and things that I can grab and keep with me. Cheese sticks come in real handy when one is on the go. You just need to do whatever guarantees you the most success and is easiest. I don't do the frozen foods, just the shelf items. I am on the diabetic D plan. The key is to follow the plan, drink your water, eat your veggies and get in some form of exercise. If you do all that, the scale moves in the right direction, not as fast as we would all like, but it does move.
  • evhutchings
    Options
    I have a bin/roller cart that I used to keep sweaters in. I have breakfast items in the top, lunches in the middle and dinners on the bottom. I keep a box on top with the desserts. I basically don't plan ahead because sometimes I am just not in the mood for certain items. I simply open the bin, pull something out and that is it. I try to change up my PF and SC on a daily basis so I don't get bored with eating the same things. If I am going out, I grab bars to take with me. I purchased a box of snack bags and I keep those filled with nuts and things that I can grab and keep with me. Cheese sticks come in real handy when one is on the go. You just need to do whatever guarantees you the most success and is easiest. I don't do the frozen foods, just the shelf items. I am on the diabetic D plan. The key is to follow the plan, drink your water, eat your veggies and get in some form of exercise. If you do all that, the scale moves in the right direction, not as fast as we would all like, but it does move.
    Im on a straight shelf stable plan too....ur not alone....i thought i was the only person that didnt buy frozen foods!!!!

• shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love my surprise daily when I open up the pantry. I make sure I have tons of salad fixings and veggies for my week coming. This prevents grabbing the wrong Add ins. I love my surprise for dessert when I get to choose. But whatever works for you, give it a try. Best of luck to you on your new journey.
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im on a straight shelf stable plan too....ur not alone....i thought i was the only person that didnt buy frozen foods!!!!

I'm on the ss stuff also. I have just bought a sampler pack of frozen lunch and desserts a la carte to try some.