crossfit and the freaking heat!

Options
mlawrence911
mlawrence911 Posts: 8 Member
How do you guys acclimate to the heat? I just started crossfit in February and was doing fairly well until summer kicked in. Now I can barely make it through a WOD or row class. I'm not dehydrated, but it's killing me.

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I go to the 5.45am class, but I would struggle to WOD in the avo - however since we're in winter now (I'm in New Zealand) I'd love some sunshine.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Come on down to Louisiana for a few weeks and it won’t feel so hot up there. ;-)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Following, I have issues with the heat too.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like working out in the heat as long as it's not to humid. The shirt does come off instantly! Minnesota summers are not too bad, we usually only get a few weeks of nasty humidity.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Here's my tips/suggestions:
    1) Make sure you intake plenty of hydration during the day and then pre and post WOD. This should be water or other type of electrolyte fluids.
    **BTW - Coffee (hot or iced) does not count as hydration.
    2) Wear lighter-weight clothing and/or water-wicking clothes.
    3) Accept the fact that you may need to just go a little slower.

And don't worry .... "Winter is Coming"
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here in the PNW we think it's hot when it in the upper 70's (all the whiners come out). But, I did live in Texas previously so I know heat.

I workout at 6:00 a.m. This morning I had a big glass of water when I first got up. And, I take my water bottle and use it during the workout. It will take a couple of weeks for your body to acclimate. And, you might not have as much to give while it's hot but go on feel, not numbers. You're body is getting a good workout and you might even have to wait until it cools off to see the results. I also think it's important to workout consistently. So, don't skip because it is hot.
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our gym refuses to run the AC. A lot of of our gym is cops, firefighters, ex-military, so I think they have a higher misery standard than average. On one hand, it's stupid hot at noon. On the other hand, at the 5am class the gym has been closed up all night and so it's kind of an oven. I think the 8:30 class works out best at our gym as far as balancing stored heat vs sun heat.

Lots and lots of water helps. Drink it all day, every day. If you're going to be doing anything outside or in the sun (like if your gym has bay doors that will be open) put on sunscreen, I was surprised how much it kept me from overheating.

Think of heat acclimation like DOMS. You know how when you don't work out for a month, you get ridiculous DOMS when you go back, and that can be motivation to not start skipping out? Heat acclimation is the same way. Keep going and you'll get used to it, stop going and you'll have a harder time with the heat when you get back.
  • mlawrence911
    mlawrence911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the tips and advice. I'm just going to keep slugging along... lol

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    our box is air conditioned, as it's part of a regular gym.

That said I think you're doing it right. Keep yourself hydrated and slow down when you need to and your body will continue to adjust itself to what you are demanding of it.

FWIW, I'm almost always an evening workout guy, but when I spend my vacation week at the Outer Banks in NC I almost always hit the local CF box as early as they open to avoid the heat. Last year I got lucky and had a day with highs in the 70s. That box also does not announce the WODS, so you have no idea what you're going to get.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ a Crossfit gym with air-conditioning? That's not Crossfit....you lucky duck!
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I asked one of the owners if they were going to run the AC when we move to the bigger facility next month. He got quite the belly laugh out of that.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Heat? What's that?

Rarely goes over 25C here, on a good day. Plus I do 6.30am classes
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I do six am, and this morning we were all sweating like pigs! I'm trying to drink extra water. Yesterday I was planning to do an evening class but it was 104F for the 6 pm class. Running in the parking lot at that temp sounds awful... I do know I get used to it but this is our first 100 degree week and I am not yet!
  • eileent76
    eileent76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We're in the midst of an unseasonable heat wave...its 80+ degrees! (Gotta love Seattle!) I'm considering wearing shorts to beat the 'heat' ;)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My old CF gym did not have AC but it never got to be too bad. My new CF gym does have AC so that won't be an issue, though it still gets pretty hot in there sometimes!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    Heat? What's that?

Rarely goes over 25C here, on a good day. Plus I do 6.30am classes

BTW, 104F=40C
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Boston will have a few hot, humid, sticky days but the Atlantic Ocean is a giant heat sink and usually cools things off on the coast a bit.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It was 92 degrees in the gym last night (7:30pm) , good thing we were just working on technique and not at the WOD level yet. The humidity wasn't too bad so that made it bearable.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I live in FL, we go to the 6am and I go back in the afternoon to work on my goats...it's running at 100 today, no air. Water and I guess you acclimate. We moved down here from NH, so it doesn't come naturally...you just get your body used to it. I run outside in the afternoon as well, just takes some time to get the breathing...definitely listen to your body ;)