How many times a week do you CF?

Options
Hi All! Just wondering how many times a week everyone crossfit's and how you space your workouts? A lot of the guys at my box go at least 5 times a week without injury or feeling it.
Do you do a lot of mobility in between too?
We usually do a warm up and some stretching before but we don't generally stretch after in class. It's up to us to stretch after.
I've just come back after 5 weeks out after suffering a stress fracture in my heel due to over training.
I learnt my lesson BIG TIME about listening to your body when you feeling sore. Don't keep pushing! Before that I hurt my shoulder (rotator cuff) badly and couldn't do any OH movement for 3 weeks...
It just boggles my mind how a lot of them at the box go so much without feeling it.
I started doing CF in Jan 2015 so I guess I am still getting accustomed to it... There's some people there who haven't been doing it much longer than me and are injury free.
Grrrrr frustrating. Any tips??

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Injuries suck. :-( I've had a rough six months of injury and illness and haven't been full strength but for maybe 6 weeks out of 2015. So I totally get it!!!

I started Cf in 2013 and went 2x week for 6 months, then 3x a week for 12 months and then upped to 4x a week. I go Monday, Tuesday, skip Wednesday and then go Thursday and Friday to give myself adequate rest. I tried 5 days and my performance suffered and so did my enjoyment. I'm very happy with this schedule even though it's less than most of the ladies at my "level" (my rabbits haha/-the ones I'm always chasing). If I'm hurt, I go but modify.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to supplement your CF with loads of stretching, foam rolling, yoga is good too.

I always foam roll at home, then again when I get to the box, do lots of stretching and after the session we do a group stretch.

I do 3 or 4 CF sessions per week plus one or two straight oly lifting only sessions.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    gabzg23 wrote: »
    Hi All! Just wondering how many times a week everyone crossfit's and how you space your workouts? A lot of the guys at my box go at least 5 times a week without injury or feeling it.
    Do you do a lot of mobility in between too?
    We usually do a warm up and some stretching before but we don't generally stretch after in class. It's up to us to stretch after.
    I've just come back after 5 weeks out after suffering a stress fracture in my heel due to over training.
    I learnt my lesson BIG TIME about listening to your body when you feeling sore. Don't keep pushing! Before that I hurt my shoulder (rotator cuff) badly and couldn't do any OH movement for 3 weeks...
    It just boggles my mind how a lot of them at the box go so much without feeling it.
    I started doing CF in Jan 2015 so I guess I am still getting accustomed to it... There's some people there who haven't been doing it much longer than me and are injury free.
    Grrrrr frustrating. Any tips??

You said it yourself. You thought something was wrong with your heel and "pushed through it" and ended up on the shelf for 5 weeks.

If I were you I'd be reducing my weights to something relatively light and working on form. If mobility is impacting form, work on mobility first. I usually go 3x a week and am there another two times just to do mobility work mainly focused on my shoulders and arms to improve my front rack. I'll also work my hips (squat depth) and that sort of thing. I also have a calf that acts up from time to time and will use a flossing band to get it back into shape.

When I tweak something or something feels off I generally either stop completely or drastically scale down the workout, even if that means stopping mid WOD to do it.

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I go to crossfit class 3 x / week. Plus a dumbell WOD in the park once (maybe twice if the weather is awesome and I'm feeling tons of energy). I often walk at lunch time. THis weekend I ran slowly on trails for 40 minutes or so on Sunday but often I don't do any specific workout just garden work and hiking. It has taken me a couple of years to work up to this.

I stretch and squat and roll every single evening. Sometimes I close my office door during the day for some extra credit stretch.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The programming at my gym is deliberate and actually designed so that a person can go everyday Monday through Saturday if he/she desires. I went all 6 days last week and it was great. I plan on going everyday, I'm paying for an unlimited membership so I might as well take advantage!
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3x a week. In addition, I try to bike three hours a week. Time permitting, I try to either replace or supplement the biking with at least a half day of skiing or hiking.

Once in a while when I'm really in a bad mood and I need to beat something up I'll hit a fourth class. The gym owner doesn't charge me for this, I went through some health problems that just ended a few months ago and had several months where I was only able to manage 1 or 2 times a week if I was lucky, so she just sort of thinks of it as backfilling the months I paid for.

An unlimited membership for me and my son would only cost us $20 more than what we're currently paying, but I doubt we'd get the use out of it. I go to Crossfit to enhance my outdoor activities, and my son has a hard time even hitting 2x/week during soccer season.

I need to do more mobility work.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just had my 1 year anniversary at my box last Saturday, I did Baseline before class to celebrate (who does this?). The first month when I started I could only handle 2x a week. After the first month started working out 3x a week. After the open I got excited about doing more competitions and started going 5x a week. After reading ETP I decided to go back to 3x a week allowing my body to recover between workouts. I go Tuesday, Thursday evenings and Saturday morning. During the last 6 weeks I have been putting on weight but it appears to be all muscle. I am at a happy place right now, allowing my body to rebuild between workouts is really working for me. I am less sore on workout days and I am crushing the WOD's with much more energy (showing up to class with a full tank of fuel!). I do work on mobility (shoulders), run (short course - fast) and currently working DU's on off days - active rest days.
    Tips? To me CF is a journey and I am willing to try different things while focusing on a few goals. From everything I have read/ videos watched and reading forums CF is different for everyone, there are so many variables. Recently I got invited to workout at different Boxes in my area and my conclusion is that there are no two Boxes a like... just that fact makes it hard to give advice about how often to workout.

IMO your Box should make everyone stretch together (community) at the end of class... that stretching is very important!
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it is all about listening to your body. I plan to hit the box five days a week, but if I pushed hard early in the week, and I am sore, I will stay home and rest. You could also take some active rest days and see how that makes you feel. I have learned that everyone is different, and you have to do what is best for you.
  • mattmerrill01
    mattmerrill01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to crossfit 5 days a week with no problem plus weights afterward 4 of the 5 days. Makes for a lot of sore days but I enjoy every second of it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    usually 3, but I need to ramp it up. This summer has been busy for me so far so it's really been more like 2 with a few walks/light cardio sessions/hikes on other days.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Minimum 4, but I shoot for 6. Our programming is also set so that you can realistically go 6 days a week.