Hydration belt recommendations

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 679 Member
My long runs are now exceeding 1:30 - 2 hours and will be getting even longer in the not to distant future. Being that I can't have MFW tracking me down to bring me hydration I think I need to start wearing some liquid. I don't like carrying anything in my hands while running and don't really want to strap anything to my arms so am looking for recommendations on the best hydration belts and their pros and cons. Thanks in advance for anything you care to share!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a TNF Flight Series belt with two 500ml bottles and a pouch for keys etc. It's comfortable and doesn't bounce but the water can slosh around a bit. The benefit of two bottles is I can choose to take squash and plain water, to give myself some variety.

I more often now use a Camelbak, with space for spare base layer, wind/ rain shell and first aid kit. Largely that's for trails. The benefits are the load capacity, and it's pretty comfortable. I'm thinking about investing in an Inov-8 race vest though, mainly to get some more flexible load space that reduces the need to slow down/ walk to get access.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Personally anything around my waist will either chaff or annoy me. I use a INOV8 Race ultra hydration vest. Which gives me the option of carrying one or 2 500ml bottles and a 2 litre bladder. The majority of the time I use it with just one bottle and you really don't notice it. Yes its more cost than a lot of belts but if you're looking at really pushing the distances it gives space to carry gels and anything else you need.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have an Amphipod that works pretty well for me. Velcro-closure so I have to be careful to make sure it is "even" or else it might tear at my shirt. However it holds two 12oz bottles that "clip" to the belt and a pouch that has 2 compartments that I can carry gels and a car key. I wear the bottles right in front on my hip pointers. I find they bounce the least there. I don't like having them at the back (although the belt allows you to position the bottles anywhere you like).

I used to carry a bottle with me using one of those hand-straps but I never really liked doing that. My arm would get tired, and my hand would get uncomfortably sweaty.

I couldn't imagine carrying around a hydration vest for a long run. I would sweat to death underneath it.

Of the various long-run hydration solutions the belt seems to be the least offensive to me.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use fitletic hydration belt. Two small bottles with capability to add more, small compartment for storage (keys, phone).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    MFW?
    My favorite wife?

I have nothing to contribute but I'm following so I don't have to use a camelback for shorter hikes. I hate draining the thing
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    djscavone wrote: »
    I use fitletic hydration belt. Two small bottles with capability to add more, small compartment for storage (keys, phone).

I just got one, it's freaking nice!!! I haven't ran with it yet...I have the hand held bottle as well, which honestly isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It really isn't.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i can't handle running with anything on my hips so i have a Scott Jurek UD Vest. i like the bottles instead of a bladder and having them on my chest is a lot more comfortable than having the weight on my back. the quality is outstanding.

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-629-sj-ultra-vest-20.aspx

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like to carry around my waist because it's easier to carry things closer to the center of gravity and interferes with my stride less. I would recommend my belts to you, but, unfortunately I do not think Nathan makes them anymore :( But I have both a 2 and 4 bottle nathan. The 2 bottle was their racer model and carries two 8oz bottles with a velcro closure. I think they do a one size fits all model now whereas mine was sized. I find it stays put and does not leak even with the racer caps on the bottles. The 4 bottle belt holds 4-10oz bottles and, again, was sized with velcro closure. This one has a liiiiitle bounce but not too much. I have not had leakage problems.

But....I think nathan totally changed their closure system, so I do not know if you can get these anymore!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use a Nathan Intensity vest with 2 liter bladder. I find it so much easier than the belts I have. I only use water in the bladder so it is easy to clean.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I use it and like it too. This is my recommended belt.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I have a two-bottle Nathan hydration belt--an older version of this: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nathan_Trail_Mix_Belt/descpage-NTMB13.html
    I purchased it because my iPhone in its Lifeproof (waterproof) case fits in the pocket. It doesn't bounce or chafe; it's quite comfortable. However, I have found that I don't appreciate having to yank out the bottle deal with it, and put it back. Personal preference.

I much prefer to run with a hydration pack, though. I have a Camelbak Marathoner and am very happy with it. I like that I can carry extra sunblock, too!

The nice thing about a multi-bottle belt or a pack with pockets for extra bottles is the ability to carry both water and a sports drink (simulate race options).
  • veganbettie
    Options

I just got one, it's freaking nice!!! I haven't ran with it yet...I have the hand held bottle as well, which honestly isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It really isn't.

Ran with my fitletic belt this weekend and it was awesome. The bottle that I put my nuun tablet in squirted a bunch but i blame the tablet. The pocket for my giant phone kind of sucks, but that's my phones fault, not the belt.

So running with a hydration pack isn't cumbersome? I'd like to get a camebak eventually as well.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Ran with my fitletic belt this weekend and it was awesome. The bottle that I put my nuun tablet in squirted a bunch but i blame the tablet. The pocket for my giant phone kind of sucks, but that's my phones fault, not the belt.

So running with a hydration pack isn't cumbersome? I'd like to get a camebak eventually as well.

I don't find it troublesome at ALL. They're designed not to bounce and to distribute weight as evenly as possible. I'm not going to say I "don't notice it", but I pretty much tune it out. I do put a little BodyGlide under the shoulder straps. I'm about as small a person as the Marathoner is designed to fit (30" chest...in a sports bra, I have a 30" chest) and it stays in place very nicely both empty and full. Do be sure to get one designed for running, not biking or hiking. 2L is a good size for the actual hydration bladder, although depending on how far you run you might do fine with a 1L or 1.5L. And the other thing to be aware of is whether the pack you buy comes with a bladder or whether you have to buy that separately.

The Ultimate Direction Vesta is *extremely* popular among women, especially women with larger chests. Actually, most of the women I saw with hydration packs at the trail run I did this weekend had the Vesta:
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Ultimate_Direction_Jenny_Ultra_Vesta/descpage-UDJNUV.html

This is mine:
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/CamelBak_Marathoner_Vest/descpage-CAMMV15.html

Watch for the 20% off sales at Backcountry or REI. :)
  • veganbettie
    Options
    awesome thank you!!! Maybe I should have considered that over the fuel belt.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Orange Mud has some interesting options if you want a vest with bottles vice a bladder.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    For 90 minutes to 120 minutes I often don't take anything unless it is scorching hot and I'm not able to hit the shady mountain trails. I'm cheap and bought a Nathan two bottle belt at the local brand rep's sample sale for $11. I never use the small bottle (for gel) as I don't use gels, but its pocket fits my phone perfectly. The larger bottle only has water in it. Or sometimes a two way radio instead of water (mountain runs, I drink from streams and cell phone doesn't work up there).
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have an Orange Mud single bottle for those 1-2 hour runs and a Camelbak Rogue (70 oz) for those longer runs on very warm and humid days.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....there were some really nice suggestions posted. I decided to go with the fitletic belt and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in the mail!
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOO happy you went with the Fitletic! You are going to ADORE it. I just got one- I had been running with a Nathan waist pack that held two bottles and trained for a marathon/ran a marathon in it. It was OK. Then I found the Fitletic. OMG. I got it the day before my last half and ran in it once before the race and then felt ok enough with it to run the race in and I do not lie...it did not bounce one time in 13.1 miles and it did not ride up or need to be readjusted once in 13.1 miles. It's amazing.