Menstrual Cycle Question

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
Thought I'd put the topic plain as day in case the men want to opt out quickly.

I know that cycle changes can occur after surgery, but anything I've read is that they come early, the first few months. I'm 6 months out now.

Mine came right on schedule, including a week postop until this month. Flow changed, but timely. This month....I'm at least a week late. I had a couple breakouts, so I thought it was coming, but nope. I'm 39 and have had a tubal ligation. Anyone experience anything like this? Is this still "early"?

I see my gynecologist in two weeks for my annual, so I'm covered there for follow up, but was hoping for some insight from other ladies.

Thanks!!

Replies

• gldngrl7
    gldngrl7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mine's been less predictable since surgery. Normally I'm a Swiss watch and P tracker predicts my start date with a 2 day +\-. After surgery it came 10 days early! And then the next one was 6 days late. Like everything else, I suppose our reproductive system has to recalibrate.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    When you lose a large amount of weight, your hormone levels change and it definitely affects your cycle. A lot of women have wonky cycles after surgery! I am one of them, but part of it could be my age too. I started the day after my surgery, as I was scheduled to. The nurse was surprised, she said surgery sometimes delays the start of your period. I was really regular the first months post surgery, but the more I lost, the more "off" my cycle got. Sometimes my cycle is shorter, sometimes longer. It's a big guessing game for me at this point.
  • Merylk34
    Merylk34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm only a month out but I got 2 cycles in the same month. I went into surgery with it (was only 3 days in) and it came again 2 weeks later. I was pissed lol.
  • duffslove
    duffslove Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    im 3 months post op..the 1st month came the week after surgery like it was supposed to, lasted 7 days and was a heavier flow than i normally have...the next month came a week earlier than it should and only lasted 3 days..this month was back to being on time, but again only 3 days long and very light flow...so its a guess now as to what the next month will bring for me too..lol
  • maureenkirah
    maureenkirah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this I was just about to when seen yours. Ya 13 days out and I had it during my procedure. Now again bam there she is. Plus my hormones are all over the map. In the bath I was on the verge of a panic attack. Haven't had one of those in 5 dang years. Good thing we're tuff eh!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had a period on January 27 this year and nothing since surgery which was 2-4-15. I'm guessing it's menopause. I'm 50.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had a period on January 27 this year and nothing since surgery which was 2-4-15. I'm guessing it's menopause. I'm 50.

It could definitely be the beginning of menopause. I am 51 and pre-menopausal. Last time I saw my gyno, she told me to expect changes, either longer or shorter cycles, etc., but if I go 3 months or longer without a period that I should see her because that's too long. You might want to check in with your gyno.

• raqdabells73
    raqdabells73 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 2/18/15 and so far mine have been either a week early or a few days late since surgery. This month it is late. I am 42 yrs old.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was 37 when I had surgery. At that time my period came about every 25 days and lasted 7 days. After surgery, mine started coming every 20-21 days and lasting 7-10 days each time. Flow was always extremely heavy. I ended up having a Mirena IUD implanted when i was 38 because I needed effective BC and it helped with my periods (lightened them up and eventually next to nothing). Now I only spot a couple or three days a month.
    The extreme hormonal changes of losing large amounts of weight very quickly can totally screw up your cycle.
  • meow997
    meow997 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 50. I stopped taking my birth control pills 2 wks before my surgery. So my period came as expected 4/18 and lasted 5 days as usual. Surgery was 4/27. I didn't start back the pills after surgery. So far, no more period! My doctor did a FSH test and the result was indicative of menopause, she said, but she also suggested I see a gynecologist. I haven't done so yet as she said it would be okay to wait two or three months. It's just very interesting. I just find it incredible to think I may NOT have another period. Yay! But still..for now, waiting and wondering. I'm thinking sure seems like great timing to have WLS and be in menopause. :+)
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Glad this rose back to the top. I saw my gynecologist Monday, and totally skipped my cycle due at the beginning of the month. She said that it was OK, that as noted, the hormones could be telling me I've lost enough weight. If you think about women who become anorexic and stop all together, it makes sense. However, I still have 10-15 to lose. She doesn't think so, my bariatric doc thought I was fine 10lbs ago, but, even if for a week, I'd like to see a "NORMAL" BMI label, and am working on muscle. So if I drop my 10-15, then gain slowly in muscle, as I hear it is norm to put 10 back on and settle....I'm good.

She also said that if I don't have it for 6 months, to shoot her a message. I'm only 39, with a tubal ligation, so I'm a little too early for menopause and my husband and I were freaking out for a bit. I'm done having kids!!!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My after surgery paperwork did say that women are typically more fertile after surgery. :D
  • Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have read that losing significant amounts of weight in a relatively short period of time, as one would with WLS, definitely causes irregular periods and cycles. It can make you Fertile Fanny or even cause early onset of menopause (especially if you were peri menopausal to begin with). It can even cause post menopausal women to get a period for the first time in ages. It is because the hormones stored in fat cells get released into your blood stream as you lose weight. Lose a lot in a short period of time and your blood is flooded with testosterone and estrogen. Basically, we need to carry a tampon/pad at all times and be super vigilant about not getting pregnant for at least the first year out. Fun times!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The closer to goal I got, the worse my period got. My last one lasted 59 days and it was super heavy. It was so bad, I went back to my gyn. They are planning to do a hysterectomy on me.
    Weird thing is, I am now at my goal weight (one year post op from WLS) I had a tummy tuck/lower body lift on June 16. I had my period on the day of surgery, of course. It stopped on June 19, and I haven't had it since.
    I am taking birth control pills for period control. I also have my tubes tied.
    I go back to the gyn on Sept 2. Hoping I can put off the hysterectomy for another year or so.