Where are we all from? Short Bio

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Seeing as we are all fairly regular contributors to this page let's get to know each other a little better - keep it short & sweet. I'll start:

Wendy
42 yrs young
1 x 7 y/o son & 3 teenage step daughters & a supportive but sometimes nonplussed husband who just cannot fathom the joy I find in CF :)
Live in Auckland, New Zealand
Work full time for a printing company
Crossfitter for coming up 3 yrs
Competes in local comps as an individual & as part of team
Crossfit 3 x week, Olympic Lifts 1 x week and then either hit the gym or do a boxing class
Background - no fitness whatsoever. Found the gym about 10 yrs ago and loved lifting but it wasn't until I found Crossfit (through MFP incidentally) that I really found my niche.
Love the community aspect, bad *kitten* attitudes and results that CF gives me.

321 go!

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Beth
    33 years (34 in August)
    3 y/o little girl who is a straight up threenager (but precocious and sweet and all that is awesome) and a husband (of 9 years) who has dabbled in CF but as a former juco bball player, he prefers his 3on3 basketball and weight lifting to WoDs.
    l live in upstate NY and am a professor at an Ivy League school...I go up for tenure in the fall and am under just a tad bit of stress since it means either I have a lifetime job or am fired lol
    Crossfit about 4x a week--don't do anything else.
    Background--athlete my whole life: dance, gymnastics, cheerleading, basketball. Collegiate competitive dancer. Did some auxiliary lifting in college, but mostly just aerobics. Didn't take anything that seriously until I found CF two years ago looking for some way to reclaim my body after birth (and while nursing my daughter). My biggest strength, then, is coordination and body awareness..really helps with the Oly lifts and the gymnastics movements. Biggest weakness is endurance. I'm built for speed, not distance. haha

Fav thing about CF: meeting women who care more about what their bodies can do than what they look like. After having dance coaches giving body fat tests once a week and telling us to "just eat ice if we're hungry" or to "chew the food and then spit it out" if we crave something (and fighting an eating disorder), it's been an amazing thing. I was worried about starting MFP that I would get obsessive again, but groups like this--and all the positivity at the gym and in my support systems--have made it great, and not dangerous for me at all. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tim
    Tufel is my mother's maiden name, and it seemed kind of appropriate here because the other kids in school used to tease my mom about being "too full."
    I am a freelance journalist. At present, I am trying to sell, and get published, a biography of Theodore Roosevelt for a young adult audience.
    Live in an urban-ish neighborhood in Sacramento, CA, and go to a box that is across the street from a community college. (Though, not a lot of students work out there. Must be too expensive.)
    I LOVE Crossfit. But I do not do it regularly and do not consider myself a Crossfitter, exactly.
    I run regularly, and I am pretty fast. I play tennis at least four times a week. I played organized -- and disorganized-- soccer up until just about three years ago, when I tore my ACL.
    I have a son who has never much liked exercise but has always loved being physical and being part of a team or a group. He found Crossfit and it really clicked for him because, well, it tends to be really social. Plus, he is a big guy and very strong. So he can show off whenever there is heavy lifting.
    I started Crossfitting to be with him and to have an activity we can share. He's at school in Chicago. But when he is home, we go.
    But I do really like the Crossfit approach and WODs. I like doing something different and unexpected almost every time. I like lifting weights in the way you do in Crossfit; that is, complex movements that require some coordination. I like jumping and climbing and pushing in a way that seems natural. I like the fact that it has some cardio, which is my strength.
    This was a good idea, mummy.
    P.S. Oh yeah. And I am really old. At least, for Crossfit.
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not a regular contributor here, but I'll bite.

I returned to Crossfit regularly a few months ago after a year and a half struggle with viral gastroparesis that pretty much wrecked my life. I had been going to Crossfit for nearly a year before that and was really starting to see some nice gains and weight loss when I got sick. It's been really exciting to me that the gastroparesis is finally going away - I never thought I'd miss cruciferous veggies so much. And it's made it really obvious to me that diet has a HUGE impact on how I feel and how I perform athletically. I tried to continue CF during the year and a half I was sick, and I just couldn't do anything, I had no energy and when you feel pukey all the time you don't want to do something that will make you feel more pukey.

I CF 3x a week, bike 3 hours a week (which is currently a little over 30 miles a week, trying to improve that distance). I usually try to get up to the mountains to hike or ski once a week, but the past few months have not been kind to me in that regard. I was never interested in athletics or an active lifestyle until I moved to Colorado and decided one day that I was going to climb a mountain, 8 years ago. I was always the slowest kid in gym, and spent a lot of years with untreated hypothyroidism and a whole lot of really bad nutritional and health information that led me to get really fat.

My husband's idea of staying fit is strolling around the block a few times and maintaining a healthy weight. I honestly think he'd die if he tried Crossfit.

I'm in the process of re-entering the workforce - we have a small business that we started so I could stay home with the kids while they were small, but they're old enough now that I can go get a real job.

I have two kids, a 12 year old boy and a 9 year old girl. My 12-year-old does the grown-up Crossfit classes with me and has been for a year, but he'll have to cut back once soccer season ramps up again. Both my kids play competitive soccer.

One of my gym's two owners is a woman, and the women that work out there are some of the most badass, supportive, awesome women I've ever met - and no cattiness or tearing each other down. The men are pretty awesome too, they're respectful and encouraging and there's none of that experience I hear women talk about with men being objectifying or telling women that they don't want to get bulky or being rude. (It might help that the other owner is a cop, and the gym has a large population of cops, firefighters, EMTs, and ex-military, both men and women.)
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't always contribute as a lot seems US specific (ie. training in the heat is not an issue right now in crappy weather Scotland!!).

Almost 37, no kids (boo) but an OH of too many years(!). Live in Edinburgh and been CrossFitting seriously since the start of the year. I go 5x/week but usually one or two of those are straight Oly Lifting and/or straight gymnastics skills. I love CF, our box is small (only 8 max per session) and we all support each other like crazy.

I've always loved keeping fit, especially weight lifting, but struggle daily with overeating, have currently managed 5 days straight of no binges which is a flipping miracle!

I don't have (m)any friends that understand what CF is and why I love it so, this includes my OH who is the complete opposite of me and doesn't 'get' exercise.

Looking forward to seeing if I reach my target by the end of the year of doing one pull-up!!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ^^ I would move to Edinburgh in a heartbeat, lovely city

Childless
    Partner-less (I'm a picky, sensitive, defensive, untrusting a**hole :s )
    One cat B)
    Based in Cambridge, UK

Been doing Crossfit since January 2014 and am actually considering switching to pure powerlifting and competing (I want to compete but I suck too much at gymnastics and cardio to consider it worthwhile in CF)
    Have had problems with my weight since my early twenties and I've fluctuated a lot between obese and underweight.

Full time job in IT maintaining and developing web-based business applications.

I've spent my entire career in a man's world and Crossfit is the first place where women haven't been held back, objectified and gawped at for lifting heavy weights.

I also started rowing regularly. I mean real rowing, in a crew. It's really popular in Cambridge and it's also very social.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Hi, CrossFit Love! Glad to find this group as I am trying to avoid being an annoying person who talks about it at work.

I’m 35. I have no human dependents and share my apartment with my dog and cat. I’m lucky to live in Sacramento where I can afford to live alone with pets and walk to work!

I started in January at a gym here that is a climbing gym with a CF box. I joined for the climbing but have only gone twice since I ended up falling madly in love with CF. I ran, biked, and did body-weight strength activities for the past ten years, so I had a decent base fitness, but this is a totally different experience. I was an totally non-athletic theater/bookworm kid, so I am having the time of my life discovering my capabilities and showing off for my siblings. Clearly, I need to address this in therapy…

I adore CrossFit. I love the barbells, I love the intensity and the skills progression. I love how everyone coaches and encourages each other. As a beginner I get constant thrills blasting through goals. No one ever talks about what they look like, but I have to admit I am loving how I am looking. I love the women who are such bad-*kitten* and how they never seems to give a *kitten* about being smaller, just stronger, faster, and better.

I am doing my first rookie competition this Sunday. I figure I’m only a beginner once, so may as well go all out. I’m nervous and excited.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Andy
    38 in August
    Single with no children, no pets
    St. Louis, MO
    Work in IT
    Doing CF for 2 years
    I try to go 5 or 6 days a week
    Background – athlete in high school and college, got really heavy once I was done with sports and spent most of my mid to late 20s and early 30s as an obese person. Started my fitness journey back in 2011 and lost over 100 lbs just doing regular stuff at Gold’s Gym. I started with CrossFit because I moved and there was not a Gold’s location that was convenient to my new place but there was a CrossFit gym.

I enjoy all the challenges that CrossFit presents and it is a good feeling whenever I PR. It has also helped to foster an appreciation for women who can lift heavy objects.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Allan

I am 49, married for a little over a year. I have a 21 year old daughter, a 21 year old step daughter, and two step sons (27 &25). The two girls are in college, the boys are on their own. We also have a Chihuahua and a German Shepherd. The two dogs live with us (but you probably figured that out).

I live in Ruston, LA and Pensacola, FL. I’m an accountant (at least for six more years). I’m working on career #2 as a gym/box owner.

I’ve been doing crossfit for a year. It has really opened my eyes to how weak my mobility is, and that is where I’m getting the best improvements. I have experience with weight lifting and long distance running. So, the OLY lifting and gymnastics are killer. I also struggle with stamina for anything over lift-rest-lift or sprint-rest-sprint (which CF never does except on EMOMs).

I do crossfit 3 times per week when I’m in town. I drop in when I can traveling. As a result, I’ve dropped in to more than 20 different boxes. Since each approach things differently, I’d like to think I’ve learned more.

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options

I am doing my first rookie competition this Sunday. I figure I’m only a beginner once, so may as well go all out. I’m nervous and excited.
    [/quote]

Good luck for Sunday - enjoy the comp and let us know how you get on!!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Mummyadams wrote: »

Good luck for Sunday - enjoy the comp and let us know how you get on!!
    [/quote]

Thank you so much! I practiced the workouts last night with a supportive friend from my box and I am feeling confident that I will at least make all the time caps!

And I am also positive I will never do the weird thing I did last night on the rower, where I managed to launch off the seat and end up lying on the floor with my feet strapped in. So glad that happened among friends and not in the comp!! :o
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Amanda
    domestically coupled with a cute redheaded child - see profile pic
    Accountant by day
    Coach youth girls lacrosse as well in my spare time

I've been doing crossfit for almost 2 yrs, but since October of last year been mainly on the powerlifting/strongman programming. My gym has evolved more to that style as people come and go.

Like some of you, i was an athlete all my life til College was over, them reality set in, and worked a job that i easily put in 60hrs during not busy times, up to 100hrs a week others. No time for much else other than work and sleep. I was coming up on 30 and said YIKES!, I need to get my *kitten* in gear.

So now i try to hit the gym 3-5 times a week and eat IIFYM, who cant like a eating plan that can include hashbrowns, ice cream and gummy bears... YUM!
  • princessxmeow
    princessxmeow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mallory
    Roanoke
    I found my second home at a box called Brickhouse Crossfit.
    I currently go to "Crossfit" Monday-Friday. I try to get in 2 Oly Lifting classes Mobility, and a Gymnastics class in addition to the M-F AMWODs. I also do EWODs every Sunday. I've been doing Crossfit for 3 months (I'm at the very beginning of my journey and training hard with the goal to make it to 2017 regionals).

I currently work as the beverage manager for a fine foods retail store (I manage beer and wine retain and host beer and wine tastings weekly) and am beginning building a practice as a CMT (certified massage therapist). Longterm I want to finish my 4 year degree in sports medicine and explore post grad opportunities in physical therapy and athlete rehabilitation.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ashleigh
    New York, NY
    Married for 5 years, no kids, but 2 fur-babies (French Bulldog and tabby cat)
    Work in finance
    CF 1 year, 10 months
    5-6 days a week

I generally WOD 5 days a week with 1 day of barbell training and I just added in 1-2 days of running. I started CF with absolutely no athletic background (except for high school basketball and lacrosse). I started essentially from scratch and have been gradually getting stronger and fitter. I initially lost 35 lbs and then have steadily gained about 7 of those pounds back over the last year and a half. I'm working on leaning out but I do believe some of those added pounds are muscle.

I discovered that I'm a very fast rower (500m - 1:37.7, 2000m - 7:28.7, 5000m - 19:59.7) and I've worked up to a 275lb deadlift and 200lb back squat! These are things that I never though I was capable of.

As someone who is generally bored very easily, CF has kept me coming back day after day. I love the unpredictability of the WODs and the feeling of accomplishment when I've finished something that I didn't think was possible.

• mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Eileen
    50 years
    PNW
    mom, married to a saint
    engineer, works too much
    cf approx 2 years, 3x week
    other things to fill my time: gardening, banjo, knitting, driving kids around

I ran slower and slower, longer and longer for many years. Love that crossfit makes my body stronger and feels younger which is kind of the opposite of where I was going. I have to admit that I still like to go for a long slow run on trails every week or so. It is so beautiful here that it seems a shame.

We mostly cook at home, hardly any prepared foods. This time of year tons of produce and fruit from out 1/2 acre. I have experimented w/ the amount and timing of carbs. I'm adding some back in (especially on workout days). Trying for 100-125 on most days. My basic eating strategy is lean protein, pile on the veggies. Fruit or a small handful of nuts in between meals if I'm starving. Smart fats are ok....I'm fine w/ olive oil, salmon, avacados and lots of eggs from our chickens. I have not embraced coconut oil (sorry, I have come around on low fat).

I amaze myself with how strong I am getting at cf (no one else would be amazed). I'm usually the slowest one there. And, my body doesn't like to be upside down or hanging so the gymnastic stuff is a challenge. I may never do a pullup. I do DU's but not great. cf people are very nice and supportive. My husband has joined me at cf. We talk about it at dinner, our kids think we're nuts.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to post here often, but I do lurk a bit...

I'm Stef - 31; married and I have an almost 2 year old daughter.

I found Crossfit in 2012 after yo-yoing back and forth between dieting and cardio workouts... I finally got into lifting a bit via New Rules of Lifting for Women, and then came across a Living Social deal for 1-month of Crossfit. I was hooked instantly.

It seems like just after I started to gain some strength and confidence in my lifts, I got pregnant. I continued to WOD until I was about 7 months pregnant and got back into it about 8 weeks after my daughter was born. Since that time, I've struggled with trying to find balance between my home, work and Crossfitting lift, but I finally feel like I found my routine.

I try to WOD at least 3 (sometimes 4) times a week, I compete when I can - I've done 2 competitions so far this year and am looking to do at least one more this year.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    hi all

Lauren, I'm 29, married with 3 daughters.
    We live in austin, I'm a level 2 cf trainer, been coaching for 2 years. I'm also a professional makeup artist, I consider that my "real" job because that's the one that pays the bills and I've been doing that 9 years.

fave movements are heavy power cleans, heavy OH Squats, and rope climbs. I also don't mind burpees at all.
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    32, married with a 5 & 3 year old we live in Idaho and I work for the Government. I started CF September 2014 on a whim with my sister in law that was visiting. It was miserable and I loved every minute of it.
    I played volleyball and basketball in high school but I've never been a natural athlete. I like the challenge I get every time I step into the box and I really like that for the most part it's a challenge against myself. My husband joined me this past February, he didn't even finish the WOD. To my surprise he now there just as much as me, Friday night dates are often a 9 pm WOD. We have a whole other family now, it's been amazing for our kids and marriage. Not to mention our waistlines!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Inkratlet wrote: »
    ^^ I would move to Edinburgh in a heartbeat, lovely city

Childless
    Partner-less (I'm a picky, sensitive, defensive, untrusting a**hole :s )
    One cat B)
    Based in Cambridge, UK

Been doing Crossfit since January 2014 and am actually considering switching to pure powerlifting and competing (I want to compete but I suck too much at gymnastics and cardio to consider it worthwhile in CF)
    Have had problems with my weight since my early twenties and I've fluctuated a lot between obese and underweight.

Full time job in IT maintaining and developing web-based business applications.

I've spent my entire career in a man's world and Crossfit is the first place where women haven't been held back, objectified and gawped at for lifting heavy weights.

I also started rowing regularly. I mean real rowing, in a crew. It's really popular in Cambridge and it's also very social.

I still think you're pretty cool, despite the pickiness :)

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Jeff

45 years old, born just outside of Boston MA and now live in Belmont, MA. Married (second time has been a charm) with no kids and no pets. I love cats, but the landlord won't allow them.

I started Crossfit almost two years ago. I have lifted weights fairly consistently since I was 26 or so. Before that I had strong legs from soccer but my upper body was pathetically weak. I played sports my entire life (baseball/softball, basketball, soccer) until I tore my ACL at age 22. I pretty much stuck to softball after that and stopped that a few years ago.

I'm definitely as strong as I have ever been and have CF to thank for that. I dropped about 20 lbs when I started CF, but since that initial drop I've dropped and gained the same weight 3-4 times. My goal with the Paleo challenge I'm doing now is to finally get underneath that "floor" weight where I keep stalling and get down to my first weight goal, which would be around 240lbs.

I want to evaluate what I look like at that weight and then decide where I go from there (either start adding muscle or cut further fat.) I've never been that weight at my current muscle mass so I really don't know what I'd look like there. But I want to find out.

I'm a financial advisor for a large bank and love helping people meet their financial goals and helping them build a financial plan they can feel confident about.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nelson
    Minnesota (Beach kid from Cali – surfer dude)
    Happily married (wish my wife did CF), son in college and daughter in H.S.
    Love Cats
    Been doing CF just over a year now, have always been a jock. 3 sports in H.S., college scholarship for wrestling, won state freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling two years in a row in Cali. Coached H.S. wrestling and football for many years, sports have always come naturally for me. That is why I love CF so much; it’s just like playing sports! I wish they had CF back when I was young!

I got some mobility challenges mainly due to my age but I am not letting it stop me! I am in the best physical and mental shape I have been in since my early 20s. My Box community is great, they were a little guarded when I started but I am a very open person who likes to joke around a lot! I get a kick how all the young folks are always trying to beat me which isn’t that hard but hey… in my thinking why are you trying so hard to beat the oldest guy in the box… LOL it’s all good fun!

I ordered a pair of the Nano’s 5 last weekend… totally customized them to death! Can’t wait to show those dam things off, I will add a picture to MFP.

Just signed up for the Granite Games: http://qualifier.thegranitegames.com/

I still have a ton of CrossFit movements to learn and I am enjoying the process!