Got My First Hand Rip Last Night!

Options
Aviation21
Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
Now that I have learned how to do kipping pull ups I managed to rip a callus last night doing Helen. I was on my 2nd to last pull up when I felt it rip... ugh! I have been using a heavy file to keep my callus flat and even. I focus on monkey grip, not palm grip and yet this happens.

I checked Amazon and there are a variety of hand grips/ gloves... etc. with some good reviews. I was wondering if any of you have discovered a way to keep from ripping or found something to wear on your hands during kipping pull ups/ T2B that really works?

Replies

• bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have no hope, haha...I have spend inordinate amounts of money (oops--sorry honey) on grips and still, I rip. But I have very tiny hands (ridiculously tiny) so anything that puts space between the bar and my hands is a no go (because I will fall off). I've had some luck with natural grips since they're essentially tape. My husband has had great luck with Mechanix gloves (that you can buy for cheap at Lowes or Home Depot). I think you really have to try some things and see how it goes.

I have recently bought honey badger grips that velcro onto the bar itself so we'll see how that goes. lol

Good luck!!!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I wear Mechanix gloves. They only slightly affects my grip strength, but that’s seldom what gives out first during pull ups.
  • Aviation21
    Options
    Interesting, never thought about Mechanix gloves and I do use them when working on cars.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been using natural grip but I get so sweaty that the "super sticky" tape just slides right off. Also the natural grips get folded and scrunched if you are not super careful, which I'm generally not with workout stuff. So, I would also take recommendations!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tried gloves for awhile and actually tended to rip worse when I had something between my skin and the bar. I also tried regular gymnastic grips and hated them and not being able to feel the bar. Now I never really do anything than chalk unless I have an open rip and then I will just make a tape grip (like the one in the link below). I just try to be really good about filing my calluses down everyday in the shower, I just use a ped-egg.

http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog/how-to-tape-your-hands/
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love gymnastic grips and have found these to work the best.

http://wodsuperstore.com/products/just-another-wod-jaw-pullup-grips-red-with-black-stitch
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Do you shave your callelous as well as file them? I find the more I go the more I have to shave mine down and then file them smooth.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st hand-rip ... It's a Crossfit badge of honor !!!

I started using the "Rogue V2 Gymnastics Grips" about a year ago and have not had a tear since. FYI - I worked on breaking them in before using them. They've held up nice, go on easy, fit over wrist straps and can be used in WODs with barbells, wall balls, etc.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think the shaving advice is the best. Keep them under control. And lots of chalk. But, then, I've never tried gloves. Seems they'd be worse.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how shaved I keep my calluses...I rip when it's humid or with really high volume. Just did 75 kipping pull-ups Friday and ripped toward the end--tired, humid, etc. Gloves don't work for me because my hands are too small (completely tiny) and I can't grip the bar at all. But thin grips work sometimes.
  • Aviation21
    Options
    Haven't tried shaving because I do a pretty good job of filing them down. I going to try a few more things from Amazon, I will share my progress! My fear is qualifying for a competition and then ripping my hands. Thanks for the input!
  • 5Mack
    5Mack Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh man this topic is painful. I ripped callouses off both hands a few months ago and once again recently. Gloves are rubbish as I sweat so much so only chalk for me. I try to grip tighter and let my wrists do the work which reduces the friction on my palms. So far so good and my wrist strength is coming up greatly!
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bethlivi wrote: »
    I have no hope, haha...I have spend inordinate amounts of money (oops--sorry honey) on grips and still, I rip. But I have very tiny hands (ridiculously tiny) so anything that puts space between the bar and my hands is a no go (because I will fall off). I've had some luck with natural grips since they're essentially tape. My husband has had great luck with Mechanix gloves (that you can buy for cheap at Lowes or Home Depot). I think you really have to try some things and see how it goes.

I have recently bought honey badger grips that velcro onto the bar itself so we'll see how that goes. lol

Good luck!!!

This is my problem! A lot of people at my gym use gymnastics grips or yoga mat pieces but I will fall off. Just got a pair of Natural Grips and they don't seem bad. I need to get used to taping them correctly. My next step if those don't work will be the Handband Pro and WODies after that.

Dh and I also use a Pedegg (as seen on TV, bought at Walgreens) to shave calluses. Best thing for hand hygiene!! Way better than pumice stones or files.