Avoiding people

Options
Carol_
Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
I can't count the number of times, I have avoided people I see. These might even be people I like. I just do not want them to see ME. I will never ever accept the fact that I am overweight ( again!). I can be 'normal' weight whatever that is for a long time. Then BOOM! Here I am again..overweight and unhappy and avoiding friends and social events. And yes, I am working to change all of that by losing the weight, once and for all. Anybody else have any thoughts on this? Love, Carol

Replies

• Carol_
    Options
    @ PocketAces. I am such an idiot! Sorry! I did not realize I had not actually 'joined the group'. But now...I am all set! Yah!
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Your going to look back on your life, and have so much regrets if you continue to avoid people. You need to have FUN, you need to live life. Don't let your weight hold you back PLEASE. When I was 170lb ish I felt the same way, I couldn't be myself because I thought people were judging me- guess what? It's all in our head honestly no one cares that much.
    Accept the way you look now at this moment, embrace it, buy cute outfits ....just try to have fun with what you got now while on your weightless journey.

Xo
  • Storytella100
    Storytella100 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with @angellll12 if the people don't except you for you then you don't need those people in your life anyways. But I can't lie I kinda feel the same way sometimes it's so hard to fit in when everyone around you is all fit and looking good and you feel fat. I hated it but then I realized *kitten* um and what they think as long as I'm happy the who cares what other people think about me.
  • Carol_
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    Your going to look back on your life, and have so much regrets if you continue to avoid people. You need to have FUN, you need to live life. Don't let your weight hold you back PLEASE. When I was 170lb ish I felt the same way, I couldn't be myself because I thought people were judging me- guess what? It's all in our head honestly no one cares that much.
    Accept the way you look now at this moment, embrace it, buy cute outfits ....just try to have fun with what you got now while on your weightless journey.

Xo
    Thank you. You are a sweetheart. You know, maybe I will. I have only recently started going to the gym during the 'high volume hours'. I just put on my head phones and chill! I did not used to be able to do that. Yet I never judge others at the gym, or old friends I see that have gained weight.

• Carol_
    Options
    I agree with @angellll12 if the people don't except you for you then you don't need those people in your life anyways. But I can't lie I kinda feel the same way sometimes it's so hard to fit in when everyone around you is all fit and looking good and you feel fat. I hated it but then I realized *kitten* um and what they think as long as I'm happy the who cares what other people think about me.

That's it exactly. I feel fat, and like I do not fit in! The one thing I can do...is ride my bicycle and never give a thought about who is looking. Isn't that strange? Maybe because I am doing something I love to do and not focusing on how I look? I don't know.
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »

That's it exactly. I feel fat, and like I do not fit in! The one thing I can do...is ride my bicycle and never give a thought about who is looking. Isn't that strange? Maybe because I am doing something I love to do and not focusing on how I look? I don't know.

I feel you on that one so much
  • Storytella100
    Options
    I hate going to the gym because I feel like people is always looking at me because I'm fat and when I try and work out I can't concentrate. It's like all eyes are on me and then I just want to leave and run away lol
  • Carol_
    Options
    I hate going to the gym because I feel like people is always looking at me because I'm fat and when I try and work out I can't concentrate. It's like all eyes are on me and then I just want to leave and run away lol
    I used to feel that way a lot..when I first joined a gym several years ago. Now, I live in a small town. The gym is family owned and kinda' small. Mostly teenage boys & men..in the neighborhood. I was much more intimidated by the females in their cute outfits at my first gym. I guess men feel that way too, when they see other men that are really muscular? Sad..because we are all there for the same thing. To get fit & healthy.

• Storytella100
    Options
    Your so right I agree 100%
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I so felt the same way but when I started this I told my hubby I'd go out in public to exercise once I got to under 21 stone. Truly I never thought it would happen, at the time it meant a 3.5 stone (48 lb) weight loss and that seemed unachievable to me.

Hubby reminded me once I got there and said he'd come along with me so I wouldn't be on my own. I honestly expected everyone to be sniggering at me and nasty comments, but very few people do anything other than smile and nod before putting headphones on and doing their own thing. The exceptions are all people who are friendly and welcoming.

The best ones are people who do classes, they come as part of my membership and my doctor recommended I try some. I'm the most overweight and unfit of all of them but they are all so supportive, even to the point of some offering to pick me up if hubby is working nights and I don't want to go down alone.

The simple fact that these people don't see "fat me", they see the "me who is trying to get healthy" has given me the courage to keep going back. And I must admit as much as they are hard work the classes are fun as well.
  • Storytella100
    Options

I so felt the same way but when I started this I told my hubby I'd go out in public to exercise once I got to under 21 stone. Truly I never thought it would happen, at the time it meant a 3.5 stone (48 lb) weight loss and that seemed unachievable to me.

Hubby reminded me once I got there and said he'd come along with me so I wouldn't be on my own. I honestly expected everyone to be sniggering at me and nasty comments, but very few people do anything other than smile and nod before putting headphones on and doing their own thing. The exceptions are all people who are friendly and welcoming.

The best ones are people who do classes, they come as part of my membership and my doctor recommended I try some. I'm the most overweight and unfit of all of them but they are all so supportive, even to the point of some offering to pick me up if hubby is working nights and I don't want to go down alone.

The simple fact that these people don't see "fat me", they see the "me who is trying to get healthy" has given me the courage to keep going back. And I must admit as much as they are hard work the classes are fun as well.

Wow thanks for sharing that was a very touching storie it makes me want to try a class and see if I could make some new friends
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend it, I normally do an aquafit, a clubbercise and a zumba each week. One of my friends prefers to do body pump and circuits but she says the people in her classes are just as friendly.
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Cool cool